Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2018, 06:45 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hoya UV filters

Hello folks,
Is Hoya filters a good brand? Thank you.
Terry

02-22-2018, 06:58 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can find user reviews of filters under " accessories " above

Filters - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
02-22-2018, 07:35 AM   #3
Pentaxian

There are a lot of existing threads about the quality of filters:
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
A good UV filter (leading brand, multicoated) does cost at least $15, depending on the filter diameter.
Well known brands delivering good quality are:
  • B+W (F-PRO, XS-PRO)
  • Heliopan (PMC, SH-PMC)
  • Hoya (HD, HD3, HD nano, FUSION)
  • Kenko (Pro1 digital, Realpro, Zéta, Zéta EX, Celeste)
  • Marumi (DHG, DHG Super)
  • Rodenstock (HR Digital, HR Digital pro)
  • Tokina (Pro Lens Guard, Hydrophilic)
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Nothing more to say about this besides the reviews and tests:
filterzone
UV and Clear Lens Protection Filters Review
HOYA HD Protector Filter Review
Lens Rentals | Blog

Many things can be measired, especially in optics. FIlters can be categorized by glass quality (thickness, hardness), coating quality (transmission, reflectance) and coating surface features (like anti-stain, anti-static, hydrophilic/water&oil-repellent).
pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/357065-uv-filters-does-coating-matter-3.html#post4178523
pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/359523-best-brand-filters-2.html#post4191432
02-22-2018, 08:28 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I have several Hoya UV and ND filters. They have performed very well for me.

02-22-2018, 08:31 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Buying any particular BRAND of filter is mostly useless. All of the name brand companies have a number of different ranges within their line. Do a search online for "Hoya 58mm UV filter" and you will find prices from $14 to $84. Do the same for any of the name brands and you get the same results.

Pick a brand: Hoya, B+W, Marumi, Breakthrough, Heliopan, Kenko, or whatever. Pick a price range you are happy with. Competition is stiff in that market so in general you get what you pay for. All brands make low end stuff for discount store sales and high end stuff for enthusiasts.

Also just FYI but if you are coming to digital from film you do not need a UV filter as you did with film. If you want a lens protection filter then that is a different (highly personal and debatable) decision.
02-22-2018, 09:41 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Jatrax, yes I want the filters for protection only. Actually, I have never used them. I just bought the three FA Limited lenses, and a 11mm and 15mm Irix lenses, and I thought I would put a filter on all of them for protection. Thank you.
Terry
02-22-2018, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Also just FYI but if you are coming to digital from film you do not need a UV filter as you did with film. If you want a lens protection filter then that is a different (highly personal and debatable) decision.
At the risk of igniting the never-ending debate on how best to protect the lens front element, I will second this advice. I keep a few UV filters around for environments (e.g. salt spray, extreme dust) where a protective shield to take the brunt might be indicated, but otherwise let my front elements ride naked.*

Steve

* Well, virtually naked. I am a strict hood user and the hood is a decent shield against incident bumps/scratches.

02-22-2018, 10:03 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you all. I think I will go with B+W.
Terry

Last edited by TerryL; 02-22-2018 at 12:01 PM.
03-04-2018, 04:19 AM   #9

No, stay with data. If you need a UV cut refer to this UV filters test - Introduction - LensTip.com. If you just need a protective element refer to this - Lens Rentals | Blog.

Hoya is a value leader. There is no reason to buy B+W, at least for UV or clear filters. In fact I would actively avoid their UV-Haze model on digital cameras.
03-04-2018, 04:56 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

" opinions differ " is an understatement

a protective filter is just that a small amount of protection

if you are concerned about it affecting your photo, how hard is it to remove??

if just walking around waiting for the opportunity for a photo, without a lens cap on, it is an added layer of protection from dust or worse

wise decision to use one or not depends on your opinion
03-04-2018, 05:35 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

A lens hood is another option for protection. Some prefer filters, some prefer hoods, some use both. I use as short as possible metal lens hoods, about 1 inch, with a lens cap on the hood, on each of my lenses, usually removing the hood before shooting unless there is a specific need for it. The drawbacks to this method are that it takes up more space in the camera bag and at times the cap may come off the hood. Many think that adding another layer of glass on a lens with a uv filter may degrade the image somewhat, and I did have one experience where some damaged occurred despite a filter. I don't know if the image degredation is true but would rather avoid the possibility and a hood is cheaper than a filter. It has worked well for me. I also keep longer hoods for when the primary need is glare protection.