Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-24-2018, 01:07 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
K-1 won't fire with new FA 43 Limited

Hello folks,
I just received my 3 FA Limited lenses arrived this week. Today, I took each of them out for a test shot. Everything went fine with my 31, and 77. But, with my 43, it seemed a little rough while being attached, and the camera won't fire. I'm getting an F-- blinking signal. What could this be. I'm quite disappointed. Thank you for your help.
Terry

02-24-2018, 01:16 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Make sure the ring on lens is set to A. You might rotate off the A setting and back on. In addition clean the lens contacts and body contacts. Does it fire if you change the custom setting for aperture setting other than A? Hope you can get it going.
02-24-2018, 01:25 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Note there is a locking button on the aperture ring to allow it to go in or out of the A position.
02-24-2018, 01:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Syntax Quote
Make sure the ring on lens is set to A. You might rotate off the A setting and back on. In addition clean the lens contacts and body contacts. Does it fire if you change the custom setting for aperture setting other than A? Hope you can get it going.
That did it! Thank you so much!
Terry

02-24-2018, 02:13 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Terry
If you want to use the aperture ring off the 'A' setting, Terry, the manual tells you the once-off changes you have to do to the camera.
02-24-2018, 02:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
If you want to use the aperture ring off the 'A' setting, Terry, the manual tells you the once-off changes you have to do to the camera.
Clakers,
Please explain what you mean by "once-off" changes, and I will look it up and make them.
Thank you,
Terry
02-24-2018, 02:36 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Clakers,
Please explain what you mean by "once-off" changes, and I will look it up and make them.
Thank you,
Terry
Menu C4/#26, "Using Aperture Ring" (See user guide, p109)

The shutter release is disabled unless the "A" contact on the mount is detected. This only happens with the aperture ring in the "A" position or with lenses lacking an aperture ring. Changing the setting above to "enable" frees the camera to use lenses where body control of aperture is not possible. Why this is regulated in the first place with a default to "disable" is a puzzle.

Steve

02-24-2018, 03:20 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

With DSLRs, you should never use the aperture ring on lenses that offer the A setting, IMO.

But this article details the process:

How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc) - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-24-2018, 03:24 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Terry
Great!
As mentioned by others after my post you CAN set the camera to allow use of the aperture ring. I wouldn’t suggest it since you can do everything in the A position. Dynamite trio you have now. Enjoy.
02-24-2018, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My camera is on P, and I don't use the aperture ring.
Thanks guys,
Terry
02-24-2018, 11:26 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My camera is on P, and I don't use the aperture ring.
Thanks guys,
Terry
I also have K-1 and the three FA Limiteds. That’s a fabulous bag you have. Most of the time I’m in P Mode. It’s a good default setting. As you go along you’ll learn to pay attention to ISO, to set the Auto ISO range band and to control all three factors of the exposure triangle while in P.

Then you can get fancy
02-25-2018, 11:47 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
With DSLRs, you should never use the aperture ring on lenses that offer the A setting.
We wouldn't, if Pentax gave us electronically connected extension rings.
(Does that sound like a topic for a CP+ conversation?)

But the only "automatic" part of my legacy Pentax extension rings
is that they will mechanically stop down the lens aperture.
02-25-2018, 01:37 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
We wouldn't, if Pentax gave us electronically connected extension rings.
(Does that sound like a topic for a CP+ conversation?)

But the only "automatic" part of my legacy Pentax extension rings
is that they will mechanically stop down the lens aperture.
I agree this would be nice. We asked them last year (or the year before that), they said they're open to it, but that's pretty far from a commitment.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: