Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2018, 09:56 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Has anyone tried the black ink out of an inkjet printer cartridge?

I know I've dripped some of the magenta on the floor, sink, and my hands. Took a lot of scrubbing to get that cleaned up before my wife got home.

02-25-2018, 10:34 AM - 2 Likes   #17
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
lens touch-ups?
I always use LR CC or PS CC... both work fine.
02-25-2018, 01:06 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks very much for the suggestions and ideas, everyone. Very much appreciated... this gives me a few things to try - on an old lens that I can afford to mess up if necessary

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I always use LR CC or PS CC... both work fine.
There's always one...
02-25-2018, 05:09 PM   #19
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
2. Have you ever looked into "black oxide" chemical treatments? There's stuff like Insta-Blak A-384 ? Aluminum ? Black Oxide ? EPi for aluminum. That company makes treatments for a bunch of different types of metals but whether they are available (and safe) for ordinary consumers is not clear. You might try asking local shop that does welding and decorative metal work.

The MSDS is here.

Looks pretty caustic. Certainly anyone using it would be well off to know the contents of the MSDS, and follow proper safety precautions.

Not outside the abilities of any competent hobbyist.

One just needs to work safely.

02-25-2018, 05:51 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
Has anyone tried the black ink out of an inkjet printer cartridge?

I know I've dripped some of the magenta on the floor, sink, and my hands. Took a lot of scrubbing to get that cleaned up before my wife got home.
Water based. Won't work. You need a solvent based paint.
07-17-2019, 08:08 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks very much for the suggestions and ideas, everyone. Very much appreciated... this gives me a few things to try - on an old lens that I can afford to mess up if necessary
. . .

Bump.
Have you come to any conclusions, BMC?

I haven't tried any of the pen or paint suggestions, but thanks to the tip from @Not a Number, I bought Birchwood Casey's Aluminum Black Metal Finish.
Aluminum?Black Metal Finish, 3 fl. oz. Bottle - Birchwood Casey

As noted earlier, this type of chemical is caustic, but it was easy to apply and worked well on the scuffed rim of my lens.
Here are before and after photos:

07-17-2019, 11:16 PM   #22

The Birchwood Aluminum Black Metal finish comes in a pen applicator too.
07-18-2019, 02:15 AM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
Have you come to any conclusions, BMC?
None that I'm 100% satisfied with... However, my favourite so far is water-based acrylic paint, the type sold in model and craft shops. I have three that I've used - gloss, satin and matte, and usually one of those is reasonably close to the finish I'm touching up. I apply it a little at a time with the point of a wooden cocktail stick, and wipe away any excess with a dampened cotton bud. It works pretty well

07-18-2019, 07:37 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The Birchwood Aluminum Black Metal finish comes in a pen applicator too.
None that I'm 100% satisfied with...
. . .

Thank you, friends.
07-18-2019, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

None that I'm 100% satisfied with... However, my favourite so far is water-based acrylic paint, the type sold in model and craft shops. I have three that I've used - gloss, satin and matte, and usually one of those is reasonably close to the finish I'm touching up. I apply it a little at a time with the point of a wooden cocktail stick, and wipe away any excess with a dampened cotton bud. It works pretty well
Mike, have you tried Humbrol solvent based Enamel No.33 Black (Matt)? Or Humbrol Enamel No. 85 Satin Coal Black?
07-18-2019, 05:10 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Mike, have you tried Humbrol solvent based Enamel No.33 Black (Matt)?
I haven't, Mark. With a complete lack of knowledge on solvents and lens finishes, I've been shy of trying such things... I've assumed (probably incorrectly?) that water-based paints were safer. An approach born of ignorance, I'll freely admit.

A related story... The first of two Volna 50mm f/1.8 lenses I bought for my collection was, cosmetically speaking, rather dirty. I set to work on it - quite gently - with a Zeiss optical wipe, which is alcohol based. I was horrified by the amount of blue / black finish that came off on the wipe. This wasn't just dirt from the lens, but undoubtedly some of the finish. Since then, I've been somewhat paranoid about using alcohol and solvents on anything
07-18-2019, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

amazon.com: Sakura Solidified Paint Solid Marker, 14 to 392 Degrees F, Black: Industrial & Scientific?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Used on lenses and flashlights for several years with good results.
07-18-2019, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't, Mark. With a complete lack of knowledge on solvents and lens finishes, I've been shy of trying such things... I've assumed (probably incorrectly?) that water-based paints were safer. An approach born of ignorance, I'll freely admit.

A related story... The first of two Volna 50mm f/1.8 lenses I bought for my collection was, cosmetically speaking, rather dirty. I set to work on it - quite gently - with a Zeiss optical wipe, which is alcohol based. I was horrified by the amount of blue / black finish that came off on the wipe. This wasn't just dirt from the lens, but undoubtedly some of the finish. Since then, I've been somewhat paranoid about using alcohol and solvents on anything
It's very fine paint, and used sparingly, and kept away from the glass, I think it will do the trick nicely. I have used it on a telescope, years back, with no ill effects. It's safe to paint plastic model kits after all. It's a good, hard surface finish.
07-28-2019, 04:08 AM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Black hammerite. Smoothed off with very fine wet 'n dry.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
07-28-2019, 11:29 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

I recently had to touch up a Minolta lens that had taken a bump from a previous careless owner. My go to was humbrol matt black mixed with a small amount of black gloss applied in very thin layers. Worked out fine.

As a tip sometimes to get a match with faded black finishes add a tiny amount of gloss white.

For blackened interiors the best non reflective paint is blackboard paint, its dries flat and complety non reflective but be warned you need to stir it like crazy before applying otherwise it can dry glossy. It needs to be stirred a lot like 15 minutes worth past the point where you think you have stirred it enough. Its used a lot on astronomy for blackening the inside of telescope tubes and lens edges to kill unwanted reflections. Another downside to it for cameras is its very thick so needs a huge amount of thinning for critical parts.