Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2018, 06:49 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
S-M-C 1,000mm stiff focus

I bought a 1,000mm S-M-C lens and at first the focus was very smooth. One day it got very stiff, almost like a grain of sand or a loose metal chip got into the focus mechanism. It sticks at different positions every time I focus the lens. Sometimes it glides smoothly; other times the whole range is stiff and everything in-between. I have been unable to find a disassembly guide online and am not comfortable going about it blindly. Could anyone tell me where to find info on taking this beast apart?

02-25-2018, 06:55 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kingtut1945bc Quote
I bought a 1,000mm S-M-C lens and at first the focus was very smooth. One day it got very stiff, almost like a grain of sand or a loose metal chip got into the focus mechanism. It sticks at different positions every time I focus the lens. Sometimes it glides smoothly; other times the whole range is stiff and everything in-between. I have been unable to find a disassembly guide online and am not comfortable going about it blindly. Could anyone tell me where to find info on taking this beast apart?
That lens is worth shipping to Eric Hendrickson for a CLA. Best Pentax tech alive. PM me if you need more info. (I have the 500/4.5 and the 1000/8).
02-25-2018, 07:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I second the advice to send to Eric. That lens is too nice to take a chance. Continued use might do more damage as well. Good luck with repairs whatever you decide.
02-26-2018, 08:19 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kingtut1945bc Quote
Are you focusing using both knobs or just one? I have found focusing hard to do on the K1000/8 if you only use one knob.

Here is a link to the manual for the K Series "big guns":

K Series Telephoto Lenses

If focusing is still rough using both knobs, then as previously mentioned Eric is your best bet.

02-26-2018, 09:24 PM   #5

Original Poster
I emailed Mr. Hendrickson for more info; thank you all for recommending him. The problem happens whether I'm using one knob or both. I tried taking the focus mechanism off myself but some of the screws are too tight and I do not want to risk stripping them so I'll wait for him to reply and go from there
02-28-2018, 11:23 AM   #6

Original Poster
Eric said he couldn't do a 1,000mm, so it looks like I'm on my own on this one