Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2008, 03:27 PM   #1

Question on "Takumar" brand.

I am kinda new to photography.

I have heard so much about "takumar" but i could not see one at bhphoto.com..

Is this a brand? (i assume it is)
Is it discontinued?
Will their lenses it fit directly on my k100d? (On e-bay all of them says "screwmount")
Are all their lenses cheap?
Is it only for Pentax cameras?
I just bought a pentax normal smc-fa 50 f/1.4... Does this perform inferior to its Takumar twin? (I read about takumar 50 f/1.4s)
Do they have autofocus , can i adjust the aperture on my camera body?
Is there something like "pentax bought takumar and now what used to be takumar tech is used on pentax lenses"..

Sorry for so many questions..

09-02-2008, 03:48 PM   #2

First, read this, it answers a lot of your questions:
Takumar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Second, read this about using them on Pentax DSLRs:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-photography-knowledge-base/3800-ca...unt-d-slr.html

Third, read through the lens database for opinions on the various lenses starting here for the 50/1.4:
Pentax Lens Review Database - 50mm F1.4

That should give you a start but there is much more information out there, you just need to search for it.

Once you've read through that you will be able to ask more specific questions and i'm sure a lot of people will fill in the blanks here too.
09-02-2008, 03:51 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AlpenTak gave you some good info, but I'd just like to add that you shouldn't worry about your FA 50mm 1.4 being inferior to the Takumar version. You can't go wrong with any of the Pentax 50mm lenses. They're all pretty darned good.
09-02-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is one caution - if the lens is labelled Takumar and has a bayonet mount, it is a stripped down cheap lens. The coatings are not up to SMC standards, and the mechanicals are lesser quality as well. Avoid K mount Takumars, unless you can pick them up for $5 at a garage sale in mint condition. Screw mount Takumars, on the other hand, can be superb lenses. I cannot think offhand of any that are unusable. I prefer those that are "Super-Multi-Coated", "S-M-C" or "SMC", but there is a glow to the single coated ones that can be very nice for portraits.

09-03-2008, 05:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Please visit the very active Takumar Club thread to see some sample images from Takumar lenses taken by several Pentax Forums members.
09-03-2008, 11:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

You will need a K-mount to M42 adaptor ... I advise getting the actual genuine Pentax one.

To get passed using the single coated lenses ... you can use multi-coated filters to compensate anyway ... so far though ... all of my Super Takumars are single coat ... and they all perform admirably.

You need to adjust aperture on the lens itself ... and the use M-mode and then stop-down metering. I find this more accurate than using AV mode.

I suggest not to buy any of these fine lenses ... it leaves more on the market for the rest of us ... JUST KIDDING
09-04-2008, 02:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

One of my friends here in town is a foreign exchange student on a limited budget and has a Canon 30D. He likes nice fast prime lenses and had one of the modern 50/1.8 from Canon. Forgive me for not knowing which, as I am not familiar with their product line.

He had been having some problems with the lens, I think of an electronic nature, and I informed him of the possibility of using Takumars to enjoy fast prime lenses with great IQ within his budget. His lens finally died on him totally and I gave him some advice on picking up Takumars via auction here in Japan, together with some pointers on price ranges and what to look out for. I've offered to loan him either my K20D or K100D the next time we go shooting together so he can try out Pentax. (He was amazed at some of the shots I got handheld thanks to SR and likes the idea that it works with all lenses).

Here is a portion of a communication I received from him today:

Today I got an M42 lens (it is 135 mm) and I got the chance to test it with the adapter on my Canon 30D. I was surprised that my Canon also did the light metering automatically when I put it on Av mode. So practically I only have to worry about the focusing.

Comparing my Canon lenses to this old monster, I saw how the new lenses are so cheaply made and I was being scammed by all the new lens stuff. Anyway, the 55 mm should be on its way too.
09-04-2008, 07:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Here is a portion of a communication I received from him today:

Today I got an M42 lens (it is 135 mm) and I got the chance to test it with the adapter on my Canon 30D. I was surprised that my Canon also did the light metering automatically when I put it on Av mode. So practically I only have to worry about the focusing.

Comparing my Canon lenses to this old monster, I saw how the new lenses are so cheaply made and I was being scammed by all the new lens stuff. Anyway, the 55 mm should be on its way too.
Hmm, I'd be interested to see some of his photos with the 135 (3.5 or 2.5?) and the 55 when he gets it. Likely impossible to compare IQ after post-processing, different subject, lighting etc. but interested nevertheless

09-04-2008, 02:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Good to hear that the metering works for him on his 30D with the Taks ... no need for newer lenses anymore ... you have shown your friend the light now ... looking forward to you posting some of his shots ... even though it's from a Canon ... I am interested to see what the Taks can do on a Canon.

There's always the Takumar thread to post pics anyway.