Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-01-2018, 12:20 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Absolute bargain.See what it can do

DA55-300WR | Flickr
I second That ! Its now my walk about.

03-01-2018, 08:14 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by caldwell13 Quote
Just ordered the new model HD PENTAX DA 55-300mm F4 5.8 ED WR for my Pentax k-r.

Since ordering I read a few things suggesting that the aperture on this lens is not adjustable for older model Pentax SLRs. I'm pretty much a total beginner so I'm having a hard time verifying this and figuring out if this makes the lens unusable.

Should I cancel my order and order the older model?

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated!
What you read is true- aperture is not adjustable for older model Pentax SLRs-- this does not refer to Pentax DSLRs. That statement refers to most Pentax SLR models, which are 35mm film bodies. And, there actually are a few Pentax SLR film bodies that are fully compatible with the lens you indicate.

Now, as to the response of so many others here advising you to cancel. The lens you indicate above is fully compatible with your K-r. I have that lens and I had the K-r and used them together. Compatible in every way, the lens having the traditional screw-driven AF. They are thinking of the newer DA 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 WR PLM lens, which is not compatible. The PLM driven AF is not compatible with the K-r.

However, it may be best for you to cancel anyway, depending on the price you are paying. B&H is now running an incredibly low price for the same lens you indicate you are buying. $146.95 + shipping. I just checked, and they are out of stock, but more on the way, they say. If the price of your current order is not comparable or close, you might consider canceling and giving B&H a call. Maybe they'd take your order, so upon arrival of replacement stock one would be reserved for you at that price. Amazon has pretty good customer service.

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-01-2018 at 08:26 PM.
03-01-2018, 08:26 PM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
What you read is true- aperture is not adjustable for older model Pentax SLRs-- this does not refer to Pentax DSLRs. That statement refers to most Pentax SLR models, which are 35mm film bodies. And, there actually are a few Pentax SLR film bodies that are fully compatible with the lens you indicate.

Now, as to the response of so many others here advising you to cancel. The lens you indicate above is fully compatible with your K-r. I have that lens and I had the K-r and used them together. Compatible in every way, the lens having the traditional screw-driven AF. They are thinking of the newer DA 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 WR PLM lens, which is not compatible. The PLM driven AF is not compatible with the K-r.

However, it may be best for you to cancel anyway, depending on the price you are paying. B&H is now running an incredibly low price for the same lens you indicate you are buying. $146.95 + shipping. I just checked, and they are out of stock, but more on the way, they say. If the price of your current order is not comparable or close, you might consider canceling and giving B&H a call. Maybe they'd take your order, so upon arrival of replacement stock one would be reserved for you. Amazon has pretty good customer service.
If you checked the link the OP posted you would discover that it links to the DA 55-300mm ED PLM WR RE lens

which has the KAFA mount

" The upside to the move to KAF4 is that the lens now has fewer moving parts, and that aperture control makes less noise. If you don't have a physical aperture lever, it can't get jammed. The downside is that this lens can only be used by cameras that recognize the new KAF4 mount. As of early 2017, the list includes the K-1, K-3, K-3 II, K-S2, K-S1, K-50, K-70, and KP. All future bodies should also be KAF4-compatible. All of the aforementioned cameras save the K-70 and KP first need a firmware update to support this lens. "

Read more at: HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 PLM WR RE Review - Construction and Handling | PentaxForums.com Reviews

this is why he was advised to cancel the order

I am not sure if it was determined why Amazon made that error

The OP is aware of the offer being made by B H regarding the D A 55-300mm WR

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-01-2018 at 08:34 PM.
03-01-2018, 09:39 PM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Currently, the K-50*, K-3*, K-3 II*, K-70*, KP, K-1*, K-1 II and all newer models fully support KAF4 lenses and thus the new 55-300mm. (* = with firmware update)
Great

I always thought it would not work on my K50