Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43 Likes Search this Thread
03-01-2018, 01:24 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
I'm starting to put together a kit of primes for landscape use (only) on my K-1. The 3 Amigos seem to be legendary in the Pentax world and very appealing. Do they have any drawbacks or negative features for landscape use? For example, the 77 is often used for portraits and for this use some softness may be desired. I would like maximum sharpness my lenses as I want the capability to make large prints. Would these three lenses provide that? Are there other lenses in this range of focal lengths that would be better for landscapes? Any advice or opinions will be much appreciated.
FA31ltd is excellent at f8, f11.
Its really a very good all rounder for travel, switching between reportage style street/people/candids at larger apertures to stopped down landscape.

FA77ltd is also good for landscape.
Very very sharp from f5.6-f8.

FA43ltd, I have not shot enough landscapes with it to comment.

03-01-2018, 05:19 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to all of you for your opinions, info based on your experiences with the lenses, and pictures, which I greatly enjoyed. It seems obvious that the 3 amigos well deserve their legendary status and will all work very, very well for my narrow purposes. I shall try to obtain them but it will have to be slowly and one at a time because of financial restraints, but obtain them I will. I very much appreciate all of you taking the time to help.
03-01-2018, 05:28 AM   #33
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
Thanks to all of you for your opinions, info based on your experiences with the lenses, and pictures, which I greatly enjoyed. It seems obvious that the 3 amigos well deserve their legendary status and will all work very, very well for my narrow purposes. I shall try to obtain them but it will have to be slowly and one at a time because of financial restraints, but obtain them I will. I very much appreciate all of you taking the time to help.
be sure to keep an eye open for offers to sell " experienced " limiteds in the Market Place

that is where I found my " like new " SMC Pentax-DA 21mm F3.2 Limited
03-01-2018, 08:27 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shoot the FA Limited lenses for FREE! No kidding...people spend too much time counting the dollars spent when in actuality, those can be sold and the money recouped.

I paid first release price for the Amigo's and "my friend at the brick and mortar store" premium for the 43mm, but consider these figures:

43mm purchased new June '98 for $550 even as a new release and with brick & mortar premium. It's Japanese tan bag early serial number and in mint condition. Bet I could get back about $500 tomorrow.

77mm purchased new April '00 for $664. Japan-built, early serial number, green bag edition, mint condition. I could recoup my costs tomorrow.

31mm purchased new December '01 for $849, Japanese, early serial number, burgundy bag, mint. I'd probably lose $100 if I sold tomorrow?

So I've run the Amigo's for about 20 years and if I sold tomorrow, I'd be out $150. That's well worth it for the experience of it! As a confirmed fiscally irresponsible hedonist, I can always justify owning these babies. Even with debt on a VISA card...which is probably how I bought them back then...

Yeah, but you ain't selling you may say...NOPE, that's my call. If the money mattered I could have it back...and up until the Limited used prices tanked the past year or so, I would have actually turned a profit on decades old glass.

So don't let dollars be the deciding factor...do what your heart says makes sense for you as a human being! (this works for all things, btw)

03-01-2018, 08:43 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@Ron Boggs It”s all about supply and demand. FA Limiteds went back into production in 1Q2017.

I actually paid more for my K35/3.5 NIB/NOS in 1999 than I paid for my first used FA43 in 2014. The market break helps if you’re a buyer - my low serial 43 last month cost even less than my 2014 copy

I’d love to know the same price history of that FA*600.
03-01-2018, 09:53 PM - 3 Likes   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I kinda wanted to share but have pirated the post! Last of the rant, but it's real...

Bought FA*600/4 new in '96 for $6300

Sold it at fair market last month--$5800, so I got to use a 600/4 for 23 years for $23 per year!! In '96 my son had just been born and I had just been diagnosed with MS...so instead of hunkering down for the financial maelstrom of life, I bought a brand new 600/4 with my Visa card, replacing the F*600/4 I sold to a buddy.

A*200 Macro purchased June '96 for $999, sold around '09 or so for $1600 to a very happy forum member.

Yes, I've been fortunate regarding market conditions for used Pentax glass. But I also try to build kit with the most expensive lenses because the high end holds value much better than the low end. And this ain't a rich guy thing. I likely have lower income than anyone reading this, but have always had strange priorities that have resulted in great life experiences...this isn't about being well to do (my truck is 15 years old. My fishing boat is 3 years old. My counter tops are pink formica but I shoot through killer glass. Priorities differ!).

And my new forum friend in Australia will easily recoup most or all of the cost of that 600/4 whenever he chooses to let someone else have the honor of using that gem! Note: long story regarding exporting/importing on both ends...

---------- Post added 03-01-18 at 09:54 PM ----------

Monochrome, your lens orgy sounds like one helluva way to recreate!
03-01-2018, 10:35 PM - 4 Likes   #37
Pentaxian

FWIW, I use all three for my landscapes and find the FA31 to be utterly superior for most applications, including astro landscapes.

Here are some albums specific to each lens:

FA31
Lens: FA31 Limited | Flickr

FA43
Lens: FA43 Limited | Flickr
admittedly, not as much use for this lens, but it performs well

FA77
Lens: FA77 Limited | Flickr
perfect for panos

---------- Post added 03-01-2018 at 09:36 PM ----------

Here's a pano with the FA77

after it loads, click the image to view it larger and move around in it:
http://www.mikeoria.com/img/s1/v5/p2431274417.jpg
If you are not convinced after that, I can't help, lol.

03-02-2018, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Personally, I just put together my new Pentax K-1 kit. I chose the 3 limited lenses, and 100 macro. I have no regrets, whatsoever. I can do all I need to do.
Terry
03-02-2018, 05:42 PM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Personally, I just put together my new Pentax K-1 kit. I chose the 3 limited lenses, and 100 macro. I have no regrets, whatsoever. I can do all I need to do.
Terry
After a rocky start though, eh Terry? But you were not alone with this - the K-1 was a very new, more advanced adventure for many of us. I'm envious of your kit. When I purchased my K-1 in mid 2017 I didn't have the funds for those lenses and bought three used zooms. Now I hope to put together a kit like yours, or even identical in part (I would very much like all 4 of those). If in the future you need to go longer I started my prime acquisitions with the DA* 300 and it's outstanding for landscapes when you need a lot of reach, as I often do.

Thanks to all and happy shooting!

Last edited by wanderer2; 03-02-2018 at 05:47 PM.
03-02-2018, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
FWIW, I use all three for my landscapes and find the FA31 to be utterly superior for most applications, including astro landscapes.

FA31

FA43

FA77
perfect for panos

Outstanding! Bookmarked for learning.
03-03-2018, 04:41 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Sure appreciate your skies Rondec. Do you use grads or post? Have to admit, it looks like traditional graduated filters (in a good way) and I like your handling very much.

---------- Post added 02-28-18 at 12:13 PM ----------

P.S. good hiking partner I am not...but like you, I won't be rude about it--usually. Typically turn the lens on the friends and shoot action instead of landscape...
Thanks. These are digital grads, not the screw on variety. Much depends on what I have with me, but with the K-1 there is enough dynamic range that you can balance things in post as long as you don't blow highlights.
03-09-2018, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote

FA31

FA43

FA77
perfect for panos

Absolutely beautiful!