Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2018, 05:55 AM   #16
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,355
First, congrats on your purchase. I'm sure you'll like the 31, It's a very good lens. I never warmed up to it, for some reason (I actually prefer the crop sensor DA21 for an equivalent FOV) but the 31 is a lens with few flaws.

QuoteOriginally posted by neokind Quote
My problem with the 43, so far, is that I already have the 35 and 40 DA ltds, and they're great. The extra stop of speed would be nice, but I'm not chomping at the bit to order it...yet.
On APS-C, the 40 and 43 are mostly comparable. The 40 served me well for many years.

On full frame, however, it's a different story. The 40 can be used, but the 43 positively shines. It's not my "best" lens (the 77, 100 WR and 60-250 struggle for that position) but it's my second-most used lens (close after the 16-85). Its focal length is natural and comfortable, it delivers superb results with more pop than the 40 (less even maybe, but more noticeable).

Do you actually often carry and use both a 35 and the 40? They are mostly redundant.

03-01-2018, 06:17 AM   #17
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 440
the 31 is a beast

55,77,50-135 are also beasts...
03-01-2018, 06:20 AM   #18
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 490
QuoteOriginally posted by neokind Quote
...My problem with the 43, so far, is that I already have the 35 and 40 DA ltds, and they're great. The extra stop of speed would be nice, but I'm not chomping at the bit to order it...yet.
Congratulations on your recent acquisition of the FA31 Ltd.

The 43, being from the FA Limited series as opposed to the DA Limited series, renders images differently. (I use both DA35 Ltd and FA43 Ltd.)

So the difference is more complex than a stop of speed.
03-01-2018, 11:40 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Eagle94VT's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 246
I, unfortunately, have lenses across 3 mounts. The Pentax 31 is my favorite of them all. If you ever have a sad day, just manually focus it on something and you can't help but getting cheered up! Such a smooth manual focus...

03-01-2018, 12:38 PM   #20
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 13
Back in the day, before digital was huge, my travel camera setup was a Pentax Pz-1p with the 77mm limited and the 31mm limited. It made a wonderful two lens setup that came with me all over Europe, to the western United States, to the streets of Chicago and anywhere else I roamed. I even used that setup on my honeymoon. I stupidly sold all of it...dumb move.


The 77 was my favorite mostly because I gravitate to short telephotos, but the images I got with the 31 using FP4 or Velvia had a wonderful rendering. The build quality of the lens is awesome too.
03-01-2018, 07:43 PM   #21
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,235
QuoteOriginally posted by ryanM Quote
Back in the day, before digital was huge, my travel camera setup was a Pentax Pz-1p with the 77mm limited and the 31mm limited. It made a wonderful two lens setup that came with me all over Europe, to the western United States, to the streets of Chicago and anywhere else I roamed. I even used that setup on my honeymoon. I stupidly sold all of it...dumb move.


The 77 was my favorite mostly because I gravitate to short telephotos, but the images I got with the 31 using FP4 or Velvia had a wonderful rendering. The build quality of the lens is awesome too.
Ah, yes- what a good reference. Many times I used my FA 77 and 43mm Limiteds with my PZ-1p. Also my FA 35mm f/2 as well.

---------- Post added 03-01-18 at 07:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by neokind Quote
Ha! Yeah. Don't tell my SO, though. ;-)

My problem with the 43, so far, is that I already have the 35 and 40 DA ltds, and they're great. The extra stop of speed would be nice, but I'm not chomping at the bit to order it...yet.
Congrats on your forthcoming FA 31mm LTD. Since you already have the fine DA 40mm LTD, and you are obviously shooting APS-C, I can understand the logic of passing up the FA 43mm LTD. Further acquisitions of the DA 21mm and DA 15mm LTDs would make far more sense. Also, if you should ever additionally obtain a K-1 MK II, the FA 31mm LTD will provide a very different experience. Good move, I'd say.

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-01-2018 at 07:55 PM.
03-02-2018, 09:34 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 243
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Congrats on your forthcoming FA 31mm LTD. Since you already have the fine DA 40mm LTD, and you are obviously shooting APS-C, I can understand the logic of passing up the FA 43mm LTD. Further acquisitions of the DA 21mm and DA 15mm LTDs would make far more sense. Also, if you should ever additionally obtain a K-1 MK II, the FA 31mm LTD will provide a very different experience. Good move, I'd say.
That's what I'm thinking. I'll likely be moving to FF at some point. The K1ii is intriguing, but I'm honestly not pleased with the buffer size or transfer speed. My K3ii doesn't have blazing transfer speeds, but it is capable of a pretty impressive fps rate when I need it. The 15mm is something I'm thinking about, too. But, honestly, I don't want to buy any more lenses that are not FF capable. If I'm not mistaken, the 15 is pretty remarkable on a crop sensor, but has some distracting vignetting on FF. Isn't that right? The DFA 15-30 looks great, but it's really big when compared to the 15mm ltd. choices choices...
03-02-2018, 09:46 AM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,287
QuoteOriginally posted by neokind Quote
. . . . But, honestly, I don't want to buy any more lenses that are not FF capable. If I'm not mistaken, the 15 is pretty remarkable on a crop sensor, but has some distracting vignetting on FF. Isn't that right? The DFA 15-30 looks great, but it's really big when compared to the 15mm ltd. choices choices...
regarding the K 1 full frame and what lens work with it and the results

Pentax K-1 Review - Available Lenses | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Pentax K-1 Lens Compatibility Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread - PentaxForums.com

03-02-2018, 12:31 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 243
Original Poster
Yes, I've seen all of these. Hence my wavering on ordering the 15mm Ltd. I do wish that there were some signal that they might be updating or designing a new Limited series for FF. But it is a much smaller potential audience than their crop sensor lenses. :-/
03-02-2018, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,235
QuoteOriginally posted by neokind Quote
That's what I'm thinking. I'll likely be moving to FF at some point. The K1ii is intriguing, but I'm honestly not pleased with the buffer size or transfer speed. My K3ii doesn't have blazing transfer speeds, but it is capable of a pretty impressive fps rate when I need it. The 15mm is something I'm thinking about, too. But, honestly, I don't want to buy any more lenses that are not FF capable. If I'm not mistaken, the 15 is pretty remarkable on a crop sensor, but has some distracting vignetting on FF. Isn't that right? The DFA 15-30 looks great, but it's really big when compared to the 15mm ltd. choices choices...
Yeah, FF is really not the very best for fast action work, burst shooting, etc compared to the K-3 II. Each have their own advantages. Different tools for different circumstances. As to DA lenses, there are some really fine ones that suit the design objective of compact with high quality. Although FF has some advantages for wide angle, there is no 21mm FF lens as small and as capable as the DA 15mm Limited.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
31mm, 43mm, da, fa, glass, k-mount, lens, lenses, ltd, macro, move, pentax lens, pz-1p, setup, slr lens, smc
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature Pelican Incoming GregK8 Post Your Photos! 3 06-16-2018 03:02 PM
Nature Bald Eagle Incoming! Venom3300 Post Your Photos! 8 05-06-2016 03:48 AM
Misc Incoming Boat Janse Post Your Photos! 2 04-23-2016 12:03 AM
Its here! its here! nonstopnick Pentax DSLR Discussion 6 12-12-2014 08:56 PM
Its here, its here!!! Scottie137 Photographic Technique 10 12-22-2008 11:46 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:20 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top