Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2018, 05:55 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
First, congrats on your purchase. I'm sure you'll like the 31, It's a very good lens. I never warmed up to it, for some reason (I actually prefer the crop sensor DA21 for an equivalent FOV) but the 31 is a lens with few flaws.

QuoteOriginally posted by neokind Quote
My problem with the 43, so far, is that I already have the 35 and 40 DA ltds, and they're great. The extra stop of speed would be nice, but I'm not chomping at the bit to order it...yet.
On APS-C, the 40 and 43 are mostly comparable. The 40 served me well for many years.

On full frame, however, it's a different story. The 40 can be used, but the 43 positively shines. It's not my "best" lens (the 77, 100 WR and 60-250 struggle for that position) but it's my second-most used lens (close after the 16-85). Its focal length is natural and comfortable, it delivers superb results with more pop than the 40 (less even maybe, but more noticeable).

Do you actually often carry and use both a 35 and the 40? They are mostly redundant.

03-01-2018, 06:17 AM   #17
Veteran Member

the 31 is a beast

55,77,50-135 are also beasts...
03-01-2018, 06:20 AM   #18
Veteran Member

...My problem with the 43, so far, is that I already have the 35 and 40 DA ltds, and they're great. The extra stop of speed would be nice, but I'm not chomping at the bit to order it...yet.
Congratulations on your recent acquisition of the FA31 Ltd.

The 43, being from the FA Limited series as opposed to the DA Limited series, renders images differently. (I use both DA35 Ltd and FA43 Ltd.)

So the difference is more complex than a stop of speed.
03-01-2018, 11:40 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I, unfortunately, have lenses across 3 mounts. The Pentax 31 is my favorite of them all. If you ever have a sad day, just manually focus it on something and you can't help but getting cheered up! Such a smooth manual focus...

03-01-2018, 12:38 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Back in the day, before digital was huge, my travel camera setup was a Pentax Pz-1p with the 77mm limited and the 31mm limited. It made a wonderful two lens setup that came with me all over Europe, to the western United States, to the streets of Chicago and anywhere else I roamed. I even used that setup on my honeymoon. I stupidly sold all of it...dumb move.

The 77 was my favorite mostly because I gravitate to short telephotos, but the images I got with the 31 using FP4 or Velvia had a wonderful rendering. The build quality of the lens is awesome too.
03-01-2018, 07:43 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryanM Quote
Back in the day, before digital was huge, my travel camera setup was a Pentax Pz-1p with the 77mm limited and the 31mm limited. It made a wonderful two lens setup that came with me all over Europe, to the western United States, to the streets of Chicago and anywhere else I roamed. I even used that setup on my honeymoon. I stupidly sold all of it...dumb move.

The 77 was my favorite mostly because I gravitate to short telephotos, but the images I got with the 31 using FP4 or Velvia had a wonderful rendering. The build quality of the lens is awesome too.
Ah, yes- what a good reference. Many times I used my FA 77 and 43mm Limiteds with my PZ-1p. Also my FA 35mm f/2 as well.

---------- Post added 03-01-18 at 07:50 PM ----------

Ha! Yeah. Don't tell my SO, though. ;-)

My problem with the 43, so far, is that I already have the 35 and 40 DA ltds, and they're great. The extra stop of speed would be nice, but I'm not chomping at the bit to order it...yet.
Congrats on your forthcoming FA 31mm LTD. Since you already have the fine DA 40mm LTD, and you are obviously shooting APS-C, I can understand the logic of passing up the FA 43mm LTD. Further acquisitions of the DA 21mm and DA 15mm LTDs would make far more sense. Also, if you should ever additionally obtain a K-1 MK II, the FA 31mm LTD will provide a very different experience. Good move, I'd say.

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-01-2018 at 07:55 PM.
03-02-2018, 09:34 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Congrats on your forthcoming FA 31mm LTD. Since you already have the fine DA 40mm LTD, and you are obviously shooting APS-C, I can understand the logic of passing up the FA 43mm LTD. Further acquisitions of the DA 21mm and DA 15mm LTDs would make far more sense. Also, if you should ever additionally obtain a K-1 MK II, the FA 31mm LTD will provide a very different experience. Good move, I'd say.
That's what I'm thinking. I'll likely be moving to FF at some point. The K1ii is intriguing, but I'm honestly not pleased with the buffer size or transfer speed. My K3ii doesn't have blazing transfer speeds, but it is capable of a pretty impressive fps rate when I need it. The 15mm is something I'm thinking about, too. But, honestly, I don't want to buy any more lenses that are not FF capable. If I'm not mistaken, the 15 is pretty remarkable on a crop sensor, but has some distracting vignetting on FF. Isn't that right? The DFA 15-30 looks great, but it's really big when compared to the 15mm ltd. choices choices...

03-02-2018, 09:46 AM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
. . . . But, honestly, I don't want to buy any more lenses that are not FF capable. If I'm not mistaken, the 15 is pretty remarkable on a crop sensor, but has some distracting vignetting on FF. Isn't that right? The DFA 15-30 looks great, but it's really big when compared to the 15mm ltd. choices choices...
regarding the K 1 full frame and what lens work with it and the results

Pentax K-1 Review - Available Lenses | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Pentax K-1 Lens Compatibility Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread - PentaxForums.com
03-02-2018, 12:31 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, I've seen all of these. Hence my wavering on ordering the 15mm Ltd. I do wish that there were some signal that they might be updating or designing a new Limited series for FF. But it is a much smaller potential audience than their crop sensor lenses. :-/
03-02-2018, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

That's what I'm thinking. I'll likely be moving to FF at some point. The K1ii is intriguing, but I'm honestly not pleased with the buffer size or transfer speed. My K3ii doesn't have blazing transfer speeds, but it is capable of a pretty impressive fps rate when I need it. The 15mm is something I'm thinking about, too. But, honestly, I don't want to buy any more lenses that are not FF capable. If I'm not mistaken, the 15 is pretty remarkable on a crop sensor, but has some distracting vignetting on FF. Isn't that right? The DFA 15-30 looks great, but it's really big when compared to the 15mm ltd. choices choices...
Yeah, FF is really not the very best for fast action work, burst shooting, etc compared to the K-3 II. Each have their own advantages. Different tools for different circumstances. As to DA lenses, there are some really fine ones that suit the design objective of compact with high quality. Although FF has some advantages for wide angle, there is no 21mm FF lens as small and as capable as the DA 15mm Limited.