Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2018, 05:50 AM   #16
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Buy a magnifier for the eyepiece. O-ME53 It has made a big difference for me.
+1, I use the manual cousin to this lens on a regular basis (“Sweetheart” Pentax-A* 85mm F1.4).

03-14-2018, 07:22 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't forget to adjust the diopter correction for the viewfinder. I have a setting I use for glasses on and a different setting for glasses off. In the field I use 100% viewfinder for focus and virtually never use autofocus so I'm very reliant on that viewfinder working for me. I also use the magnifier for the eyepiece. Between the magnifier and getting the diopter PERFECT old-school viewfinder focusing isn't a tremendous problem. (I completely ignore the autofocus confirmation stuff in the camera. If you are composing creatively, the spot(s) you want in focus may have absolutely nothing to do with the spots the camera sees as focused).

P.S. if you are a public places photographer, do the rest of the world a favor and turn off the focus beeper! (all the beepers for that matter). Hate to have Guido show up to toss the beeping camera into the river for you! Guido doesn't care if he's rude, but I'll bet you do.
03-19-2018, 10:53 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hi. what specific parts were broken? I might be able to source the parts from a local pentax repair shop that have loads of original parts in stock...
03-19-2018, 05:17 PM   #19
Pentaxian

The problem is actually fixable, but will need parts (eg. sourced from another broken FA*85 for example).
I helped a friend send his FA*85 to the repair man that I know and he wasn't even a Pentax specific repairer, but he managed to source the broken part and fixed the lens. (also an inability to AF)

So perhaps ask around other repair people that you can find.