Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2018, 07:51 PM   #1
Forum Member

FA* 85 & no AF, how to use on K-1

Hi All,

I have a FA* 85 f/1.4 with a broken AF system. Sent to Eric and he told me that it can not be repaired.

I am using manual focusing on K-1 but many of my pictures are rejected because of out of focus shots. I am using viewfinder for all my shots and rely on "focus confirm beep" while manually focusing my shots.

Is there any better way to manually focus and get sharp pictures? Is there any focusing screen available for K-1 that would solve my problem?

Thanks,
unp

02-28-2018, 08:41 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if you are trying to focus at f1.4, use live view and a tripod if at all possible
02-28-2018, 09:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by unp Quote
Hi All,

I have a FA* 85 f/1.4 with a broken AF system. Sent to Eric and he told me that it can not be repaired.

I am using manual focusing on K-1 but many of my pictures are rejected because of out of focus shots. I am using viewfinder for all my shots and rely on "focus confirm beep" while manually focusing my shots.

Is there any better way to manually focus and get sharp pictures? Is there any focusing screen available for K-1 that would solve my problem?

Thanks,
unp
Have you tried focus peaking and image magnification in live view? I find both of these very helpful.
02-28-2018, 10:36 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am using viewfinder for all my shots and rely on "focus confirm beep" while manually focusing my shots.
The focus confirmation beep /green hexagon relies on the AF system. Even if your AF does not work on the lens you should still be able to use the AF Fine adjustment menu to fine-tune the lens/camera combination. Give this a try.

Having said that the focus confirmation method is not infallible. You could try and do some tests (after using the Fine adjustment) to see whether focussing from infinity or closest focus distance yields better results.

Ultimately, 1.4 gives a very narrow depth of field and focussing accurately is a skill

02-28-2018, 10:53 PM   #5
Closed Account

Hi unp, you could also try CIF ( catch in focus), page 110 in your manual. Good luck.

Catch-in-Focus Tutorial - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
02-28-2018, 11:04 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Stopping down is really the old effective solution in this case, IMO, especially if you want to shoot through the VF. As an alternative, live view / tripod / focus peaking as others have suggested might help.

I'd recommend replacing the lens if you can.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-28-2018, 11:20 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Buy a magnifier for the eyepiece. O-ME53
It has made a big difference for me.

03-01-2018, 03:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Is this a similar problem to the one I had, where one of the focus gears was broken? The screwdrive shaft turns but won't rotate the focusing lens group.
03-01-2018, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #9
pid
Pentaxian

some weeks ago, somewhere here in the forum, somebody repaired the broken gear by replacing it

Take a look here:
FA*85 1.4 Auto Focus Sound on K-1: Is this normal? - PentaxForums.com
Lens Repair by dcshooter - PentaxForums.com
Repair of the FA*85 screwdrive coupling gear - Album on Imgur
Gears: http://shop.gears24.com/Stirnraeder/FTB/FTB-Module-0-3/?XTCsid=e84b7610a2a74605dbf6a96d715b9a08
03-01-2018, 03:43 AM   #10

I have an FA * 85 f1.4 and the K-1 as well. When I made the AF fine adjust it had a fairly large adjustment. If you are using f1.4 and yours is the same, that would certainly explain your of results. The fine tuning of af also applies to manual focus as it calibrated the af sensor, ovf offset vs the actual focal plane. On the APSC bodies you could get an accessory focus screen that made manual focus much easier, a prism style one like the old mf camera days. I haven't seen this for the K1. That's likely due to the new info overlay on the off screen. Adjust the af fine tuning and as suggested above, get a magnifier accessory and it should improve thinks greatly.

---------- Post added 03-01-2018 at 05:48 AM ----------

Any chance Pentax service can fix what Eric can't? It might be worth asking them if you have enough info from Eric on the reason it's unrepairable.
03-02-2018, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #11
unp
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
if you are trying to focus at f1.4, use live view and a tripod if at all possible
Thank you for your response. I never tried live view, but will try it now. For tripod, unfortunately I can not use it in many situations.

---------- Post added 03-02-18 at 09:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
Have you tried focus peaking and image magnification in live view? I find both of these very helpful.
wanderer2,

Thank you for your response!

unp : I will try what you suggested above. This many not work for me though if I have to take shots in quick succession where I do not have enough time to focus for each shot.

Thanks,
unp

---------- Post added 03-02-18 at 09:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
The focus confirmation beep /green hexagon relies on the AF system. Even if your AF does not work on the lens you should still be able to use the AF Fine adjustment menu to fine-tune the lens/camera combination. Give this a try.

Having said that the focus confirmation method is not infallible. You could try and do some tests (after using the Fine adjustment) to see whether focussing from infinity or closest focus distance yields better results.

Ultimately, 1.4 gives a very narrow depth of field and focussing accurately is a skill
pschlute,

Thank you for your response. You provided me great info, I will try your suggestions. By the way, I quickly checked your flickr site and liked your pictures.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Having said that the focus confirmation method is not infallible. You could try and do some tests (after using the Fine adjustment) to see whether focusing from infinity or closest focus distance yields better results.

Read more at: FA* 85 & no AF, how to use on K-1 - PentaxForums.com
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks,
unp

---------- Post added 03-02-18 at 09:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi unp, you could also try CIF ( catch in focus), page 110 in your manual. Good luck.

Catch-in-Focus Tutorial - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
pjv,

Thank you for your response.

unp

---------- Post added 03-02-18 at 10:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Stopping down is really the old effective solution in this case, IMO, especially if you want to shoot through the VF. As an alternative, live view / tripod / focus peaking as others have suggested might help.

I'd recommend replacing the lens if you can.
Adam,

Thank you for your response. I got many suggestions and will try all to find a solution that might work for me.

By the way, you said "I'd recommend replacing the lens if you can." My argument is, who in this world wold let go FA* 85 f/1.4!!! Such an amazing glass! When my AF was working, all of my shots were amazing. The optical performance is awesome. I think Pentax should keep the same optical design in the new FA* 85 that is in the pipeline.

Thanks,
unp

---------- Post added 03-02-18 at 10:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Buy a magnifier for the eyepiece. O-ME53
It has made a big difference for me.
Sandy,

Thank you for your response. I recently bought O-ME53 but haven't achieved it's full potential though. I am still getting used to it.

unp
03-02-2018, 09:33 AM   #12
unp
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by buzzinhornet Quote
I have an FA * 85 f1.4 and the K-1 as well. When I made the AF fine adjust it had a fairly large adjustment. If you are using f1.4 and yours is the same, that would certainly explain your of results. The fine tuning of af also applies to manual focus as it calibrated the af sensor, ovf offset vs the actual focal plane. On the APSC bodies you could get an accessory focus screen that made manual focus much easier, a prism style one like the old mf camera days. I haven't seen this for the K1. That's likely due to the new info overlay on the off screen. Adjust the af fine tuning and as suggested above, get a magnifier accessory and it should improve thinks greatly.

---------- Post added 03-01-2018 at 05:48 AM ----------

Any chance Pentax service can fix what Eric can't? It might be worth asking them if you have enough info from Eric on the reason it's unrepairable.
I appreciate all the responses. I now have tons of info and suggestions. I would start with AF adjustment and go from there if needed.

Eric told me that the gear system has worn out and can not be repaired. I would try to perfect my manual focusing skill instead of spending more $$ to fix the AF system.

Thanks,
unp
03-02-2018, 11:06 AM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Adam, Thank you for your response. I got many suggestions and will try all to find a solution that might work for me. By the way, you said "I'd recommend replacing the lens if you can." My argument is, who in this world wold let go FA* 85 f/1.4!!! Such an amazing glass! When my AF was working, all of my shots were amazing. The optical performance is awesome. I think Pentax should keep the same optical design in the new FA* 85 that is in the pipeline. Thanks, unp
Replace it with one that has working AF then. You can always hang on to the old one for nostalgic reasons. I have 3 myself

However I'd expect the new lens to be a brand new design to further increase sharpness, eliminate the strong fringing, and have the ability to focus closer than 85cm.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-02-2018, 07:04 PM   #14
unp
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Replace it with one that has working AF then. You can always hang on to the old one for nostalgic reasons. I have 3 myself

However I'd expect the new lens to be a brand new design to further increase sharpness, eliminate the strong fringing, and have the ability to focus closer than 85cm.
Adam,

Thank you for your response. I think it would be better if I buy the new FA* 85 when it comes.

unp
03-14-2018, 12:37 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Eric told me that the gear system has worn out and can not be repaired.
Are the gears plastic? Could one 3D print new ones?

Seb