Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2018, 10:10 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

My most accounts the Pentax DFA 100 has a slight edge in image quality but I can't say first hand. I decided on the Tamron for 2 reasons.... first it was at the time about $100 less and second it has an aperture ring. That may or may not matter to you, but I'm old school (old a lot of things, actually) and I like having the ability to go "off the grid" so to speak. I do have a couple of film cameras and it would be nice to be able to use the Tammy on them... if and when I ever get around to using them.

03-03-2018, 08:40 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The DFA100mm macros are tiny, they get my vote. I have the non-WR model, which might end up in your price range. However, if you can spend a little more and don't mind the loss of an aperture ring, I'd lean towards the newer WR model for its better build and rounded aperture blades.
03-03-2018, 08:49 AM   #33
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
[quote=BrianR;4219615]The DFA100mm macros are tiny, they get my vote. I have the non-WR model, which might end up in your price range. . . .[ /quote]

I have the same lens, it has an aperture ring

Image Format Full-frame / 35mm film
Lens Mount Pentax K
Aperture Ring Yes (A setting)
Diaphragm Automatic, 8 blades
Optics 9 elements, 8 groups
Mount Variant KAF
Max. Aperture F2.8
Min. Aperture F32
Focusing AF (screwdrive)
Quick-shift Yes
Min. Focus 30 cm
Max. Magnification 1x
Filter Size 49 mm
Internal Focus No
Field of View (Diag. / Horiz.) APS-C: 16 ° / 14 °
Full frame: 24 ° / 20 °
Hood PH-RBB 49mm
Case S80-120
Lens Cap Lens Cap F 49mm
Coating SMC
Weather Sealing No
Other Features Focus Clamp
Diam x Length 67.5 x 80.5 mm (2.7 x 3.2 in.)
Weight 345 g (12.2 oz.)
Only Hood: 38g
Production Years 2004 to 2009
Launch Price $565 USD
Engraved Name smc PENTAX-D FA 1:2.8 100mm -MACRO-

Read more at: SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - D FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
03-03-2018, 08:54 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
have the same lens, it has an aperture ring
Yes, that was implied, to paraphrase myself, "get the WR version if you're OK losing the aperture ring", but I apologize if that wasn't clear

DFA100mm macro non-WR ... has an aperture ring, useful if you use cheap extension tubes, bellows, or want backwards compatibility with early k-mount film cameras.
DFA100mm macro WR ... no aperture ring. If you're just using it mounted directly to a DSLR or with teleconvertors/tubes that have all the right contacts, you won't notice it's missing.

Last edited by BrianR; 03-03-2018 at 09:13 AM. Reason: I was overly grouchy!
03-03-2018, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DonovanJM Quote
Help me choose! I'm trying to decide between these 3 lenses -Pentax FA 100m f2.8 vs.Tamron 90mm f2.8 272Ep vs. Sigma EX 105 f2.8
They all seem to be about the same price ~$200 to $250 ish range. Which fits my budget. The vast majority of the Pentax ones on Ebay seem to be coming from Japan. I'm not sure if that matter or not. They all seem to have good reviews. I just don't know.
Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
I've bought some lenses from some Japanese sellers on eBay, and have had good experiences with them. Compared to a lot of other sellers, they tend to be very explicit about flaws and provide photos from every direction. I can't comment on the specific lenses since I haven't tried any of them, but I just got a F100/2.8 macro, and so far I quite like it. It is built like a tank, and a bit large (which I'm sure the FA is in the same ballpark.)
03-03-2018, 02:54 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Pentax FA 100m f2.8 vs.Tamron 90mm f2.8 272Ep vs. Sigma EX 105 f2.8

Help me choose! They all seem to be about the same price ~$200 to $250 ish range. Which fits my budget. The vast majority of the Pentax ones on Ebay seem to be coming from Japan. I'm not sure if that matter or not. They all seem to have good reviews. I just don't know. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
I'd get an D FA.
>= 90mm Macro Lenses with Autofocus | PentaxForums.com
Pentax 100mm macro (DFA,"D FA",Xenon,WR) in Camera Lenses | eBay

They offer several advantages:
  • in-camera lens correction available
  • quickshift
  • the WR is even weatherproof
  • bajonet style lens hood included
03-04-2018, 06:29 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have owned and used all three. The Pentax and Tamron are essentially identical IQ wise. The one that is better is purely subjective in my opinion. Now I have the DFA 100 Macro and I only use that due to the smaller size. If you can find a good priced Tamron I would not hesitate. The A, F, FA, and DFA 100 Pentax macros all share the same optical formula. The DFA adds WR and Quick Shift focus. On the DFA you loose the focus limiter and the focus clamp. I do find the focus limiter on the Tamron quite useful.

03-04-2018, 08:01 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
The DFA adds WR and Quick Shift focus. On the DFA you loose the focus limiter and the focus clamp.
I do find the focus limiter on the Tamron quite useful.
The DFA still has the focus clamp. Only the DFA WR doesn't have it anymore.

Focus limiter on screwdrive-lenses with long throw can be useful.
Lenses for Pentax with focus limiter - PentaxForums.com
03-04-2018, 12:42 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
The DFA still has the focus clamp. Only the DFA WR doesn't have it anymore.

Focus limiter on screwdrive-lenses with long throw can be useful.
Lenses for Pentax with focus limiter - PentaxForums.com
Yeah I forgot about the original DFA 100. I do miss the focus limiter although I just utilize the quick shift focus on the DFA 100 WR. I never really used the focus clamp on FA 50 macro.
03-13-2018, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #40
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice! I ended up picking up a Pentax FA 100mm Macro. I got it for about half the price of what I was able to find for the DFA. I know you get what you pay for but at this stage in my photography life I can't justify the extra cost. Someday maybe!
Thanks again!
03-13-2018, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

I have the Pentax 100 and the Tamron 90, and the Sigma 70 and the FA 50 2.8 macro.

I shoot mostly the DFA 100 macro. Lightweight, small size, and water resistant, all big things. But I only own it because my wife took my 90 macro and uses it as her walk around lens. I didn't want to buy the same lens twice, preferring choice, so I bought the Sigma 70 macro, it's a great lens and really shines as a longer portrait lens for APS-c. But it's heavy and not WR. It gets left home because I rarely feel like carrying it. Next came the FA 50 macro...I prefer longer focal lengths.

If I'd bought the DAF 100 macro first, my wife might not have stolen it, it has the weight and size I prefer, it might be my only macro lens, saving me a bundle. But I use them all from time to time. Which is my usual answer. If price is at all a concern, a second hand Tamron 90 would be the way I went, and I've never been unhappy with the purchase. Mine cost me $200 USD and it's great lens.But in the end, it's the DFA 100 2.8 macro that's my everyday, most used macro. Lack of size matters.

But basically, you need them all. You can never have too many macro lenses.

P.S. but the FA 50 macro is also a very nice walk around lens on a K-1.
03-13-2018, 09:19 AM   #42
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for all the advice! I ended up picking up a Pentax FA 100mm Macro. I got it for about half the price of what I was able to find for the DFA. I know you get what you pay for but at this stage in my photography life I can't justify the extra cost. Someday maybe!
Thanks again!
please when you get a chance

post some photos

and let us know how it works for you

thanks
03-13-2018, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #43
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
please when you get a chance

post some photos

and let us know how it works for you

thanks
I definitely will. I'm going to be taking a trip soon and hope to be able to try it out.
03-13-2018, 03:47 PM   #44
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats on the FA100!

I have the DFA100 WR and the Tamron 90 (the latter in Sony A-mount), and they're both very good indeed (neither is perfect, but both do an excellent job).

The DFA100 is better than the Tamron at, or near, f/2.8... but both are good stopped down a little, and great stopped down quite a bit for the intended macro use. One of the things I like about the Tamron is the focus range limiter, which the DFA100 doesn't have. Your earlier FA100 *does* have it, though, and it's seriously useful depending on how you intend to use the lens on any given day. So, I think you made a great choice!

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-13-2018 at 03:59 PM.
03-13-2018, 03:57 PM   #45
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks again!
from my research here on the forum the optics on that one is the same as the D FA and F versions of the 100mm 2.8 macro

so I wouldn't say you settled for less at least regarding its glass

[ I have an " experienced " D FA 100mm 2.8 macro ]

congrats