Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
04-16-2019, 05:11 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
and then the *55. These lenses complement each other IMO.

Oh, and by the way using constant lighting rather than strobes.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
04-16-2019, 05:24 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

...and for giggles the FA77, also in studio from the same session. All three work well together with none of them looking out of place. The color tone differences are intentional in post. I could have matched them across the board.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 

Last edited by gatorguy; 04-16-2019 at 05:57 PM.
04-17-2019, 04:59 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Wouldn't the 31 be closer to what you see on the 43 used full-frame? I'm curious why that lens is your preference on both formats. I've not ever used it but it seems like it might not be wide enough for group shots, and not significantly different enough from the *55.

I'm not sold completely on the FA31 being more "normal" on APS-C, I'm just now been able to use it for a shoot, so I'd certainly consider adding the FA43 alongside the *55 if you think it would be the better lens over the 31 for portraiture.
It's a loaded question, because you're comparing fields of view, while a lens is more than that. Rendering, distortion, perspective, all play a role. I prefer to consider a lens for what it offers, then look at the crop. Translating/comparing fields of views leaves behind all those other elements.

On APS-C, I preferred lenses slightly wider than 50. On FF, those lenses give me a wider FOV, that I can crop given the sensor's resolution, if I need to.

The 31 is a lens I never warmed to, despite its amazing qualities. You can read my personal view of the three FA limited here.
04-17-2019, 05:40 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
It's a loaded question, because you're comparing fields of view, while a lens is more than that. Rendering, distortion, perspective, all play a role. I prefer to consider a lens for what it offers, then look at the crop. Translating/comparing fields of views leaves behind all those other elements.

On APS-C, I preferred lenses slightly wider than 50. On FF, those lenses give me a wider FOV, that I can crop given the sensor's resolution, if I need to.

The 31 is a lens I never warmed to, despite its amazing qualities. You can read my personal view of the three FA limited here.
Thanks, just the kind of input I wanted in your linked review

04-17-2019, 05:42 AM   #35
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since the OP is from the US, one option would be to spend some $ and rent equipment and do a trial

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - PentaxForums.com
04-17-2019, 09:20 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Since the OP is from the US, one option would be to spend some $ and rent equipment and do a trial

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - PentaxForums.com
Excellent advice. That's what I've begun doing and combined with advice from shooters here it pretty much covers it.
04-17-2019, 09:53 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I also wasn't sure whether the *istDS can use it, or am I getting it confused with the DC focus motor in the 18-135?
SDM lenses were introduced just after the K10D. So the whole *ist series doesn't have the proper contacts for SDM AF. Also the original K100D and K110D. The K100D Super was the first lower-tier camera with SDM contacts. The K10D needed a firmware upgrade to enable SDM.

04-18-2019, 01:41 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
The 43 is my most favourite APS-C 50ish portait lens because of its bokeh and rendering. My other favourite is the 77 on APS-C.
I don't own the 55, but from the images I've seen online, the 55's bokeh can be quite busy and harsh at times, particularly out-of-focus shrubbery. YMMV.

At f/2.4, the hedge in the background is very "busy" and just a few feet behind and yet the 43 blurs it beautifully.

Here the background is several kilometres away. At f/5.6 the bokeh just as beautifully rendered IMO.

Both images have enough blur to pop the subjects, but not so much that you can't make out instantly what's in the background.
I have the 55mm sdm and not the 43. The bokeh it's smooth from f2 in those circumstances so 43 doesn't have any ace in his pocket starting from f1.9... But it depends on the background, of course. You can have very smooth bokeh even from 1.4... It has the 3d pop too, sdm focusing and quiet, whether sealed and it's very handsome! My vote goes to 55mm sdm...