Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2018, 01:04 PM   #1
Pentaxian

How do you carry your lens in a camera bag ?

I have had pretty good luck in 50 years of photography, in that I've only had trouble with one lens. I carry my lenses in individual camera bag pockets, with foam padding stuffed in the side of the pocket ...with a pressure fit of the lens against the side of the pocket. The padding is firm foam, holds the lenses tight, with no movement. I also add firm foam padding on the bottom of the bag and the lens rests on this foam.

The lenses are fit in a vertical position in the pocket.

My question is....do you fit your lenses so the lens front or bottom rest on the bottom of bag ? I pack them sometimes bottom side up, sometimes front side up...so far no problems. I don't know if it makes any difference ?

One of our kids has moved a fair distance away, so we're flying a lot more and as a result I'm more conscious of protecting my camera equipment. I always carry on the camera bag and then put into the overhead storage above my seat.

Any suggestions about packing foam, positioning, etc. ?

BTW I use mostly Domke F2 Original bags and also rarely, but sometimes Lowepro bags.

I also carry my K-1 and K-5 with a lens attached, in the bag, firmly padded underneath, to support the lens. Usually the 18-135 on the K5 and the 28-105 on the K-1.

03-02-2018, 01:34 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use smaller Domke F-4 AF bags now rather than F2’s, but they still have inserts with sleeves. In my K-1 bag I have the K-1 with 24-70 mounted, lens face down. In the sleeves I have several primes stacked with rear caps facing each other - 4 primes, usually. I have a 540 FGZ in one external pocket and spare batteries, cards and a rocket blower in the other.

If traveling with a lot of lenses I use a large backpack instead.

FWIW, I once read lenses should be stored front cap up so grease doesn’t matriculate from the aperture leaves onto inner elements. IMO that is on the edge of OCD.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-02-2018 at 01:50 PM.
03-02-2018, 01:52 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just have a Lowepro camera pack but I'm used to a pack and it suits me fine (has enough room for a realistic kit while forcing me to rationalise the lenses I take on an outing).
I just put the lenses straight into their padded partitions and so far never had an issue (but most of them are a reasonably snug fit at least).
As far as stacking primes go, I wont stack them unless either one of the primes is in its bag or I have added some padding between them.

I generally put them with K mount down - partly because on the older lenses you could read what the lens is (not so much on modern lenses) but also because I simply never considered putting them the other way! Now I have thought about it possibly mount up would be quicker to exchange and also reduce the chance of pulling lens cap off when extracting the lens?
03-02-2018, 02:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If using my smallest camera bag(one camera+one additional lens) the camera with lens attached is lens down with foam padding to support the front "shoulders" of the camera. The separate lens is cap down so that the mount cap can be easily removed for lens changes.

If using a medium bag which has space for a camera plus two or three lenses, the camera with lens attached is on its side but supported under the lens with foam padding. The separate lenses are cap down.

My main storage case will normally hold three cameras with lenses attached. As the case can lie flat or on edge, but is normally on edge, the cameras are orientated to sit flat on their bases for that eventuality, but with foam padding to support the lenses if the case is laid flat. Other separate lenses can be cap down or laid on their side in order to maximise use of the case. I will stack lenses, but only if there is foam padding between them. The case and its partitions are well padded anyway.

03-02-2018, 03:02 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My main carry bag is a Lowepro Nova 2 that is probably 20 plus years old but still serves me faithfully. I also have a larger Lowepro Flipside 400 backpack for longer hikes and a ThinkTank 20 holster if I just want to carry the camera and one lens.
For my limited's lens I place them in one of those foam covers that are used to keep small beverage cans cold. Works very well and can get them cheap at the Dollar Store. Slightly larger lens will also fit in those foam covers. In the Lowepro Nova I just lay the foam covered lens stacked on their sides in the side pocket with the camera & attached lens in the main compartment. If using the Flipside backpack I just make use of the padded pockets already in the pack.

When I was shooting with the Canon 5D the Lowepro Nova was not large enough, as both the camera & lens are larger.
03-02-2018, 03:10 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
For my limited's lens I place them in one of those foam covers that are used to keep small beverage cans cold. Works very well and can get them cheap at the Dollar Store.
I do the same, we call them stubbie holders.
I cut the holders down to slightly longer than their respective lens so they can be stacked without putting any pressure on the lower lens.
And I usually take out most of the dividers in my camera bag, leaving only one or two in, this gives a little more room, and the lenses are individually protected by their neoprene sleeves anyway.
For any larger diameter primes or zooms (which I tend not to use much now), I might use a lowpro lens case depending on the situation.
03-02-2018, 03:25 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have one big camera backpack that I use the dividers. Bigger trips. But 95% of the time everything is loose in my bags- whichever one- with lenses (usually) in a pouch. I have a pile of inserts in a corner of the basement. In my domke f2 (zero inserts) is the k3+50-135,mz-s+43,20-40,10-17- only the 20-40 and 10-17 are in pouches.

03-02-2018, 03:40 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I put my camera/lens in a large ziplock plastic bag, then I put it into my camera backpack. That way it is not as likely to get scratches or rub marks from the velcro areas because of movement or pressure. When I have any extra camera bodies or lenses I also put them in plastic bags before putting them in the camera backpack.
03-02-2018, 03:50 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For international travel I pack my Lowe Pro Nova 4 AW. Whichever gear I choose it seems to total about 7kg when full. Always carried on board - there's no way I'd trust it to baggage handlers.

I have always put big lenses in rear cap facing up - simply because it leaves a bit of wriggle room for my fingers.

Smaller lenses are piggy-backed with another small lens using an OP/TECH double lens mount cap. I can not recommend these highly enough.

Here it is packed with my K-1 with DFA15-30, DA*300, DFA28-105 (on the camera), DA*55/Samyang 12mm fisheye, DFA100WR/HD1.4xTC, and AF540FGZII
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 03-02-2018 at 04:07 PM.
03-02-2018, 05:30 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I have had pretty good luck in 50 years of photography, in that I've only had trouble with one lens. I carry my lenses in individual camera bag pockets, with foam padding stuffed in the side of the pocket ...with a pressure fit of the lens against the side of the pocket. The padding is firm foam, holds the lenses tight, with no movement. I also add firm foam padding on the bottom of the bag and the lens rests on this foam.

The lenses are fit in a vertical position in the pocket.

My question is....do you fit your lenses so the lens front or bottom rest on the bottom of bag ? I pack them sometimes bottom side up, sometimes front side up...so far no problems. I don't know if it makes any difference ?

One of our kids has moved a fair distance away, so we're flying a lot more and as a result I'm more conscious of protecting my camera equipment. I always carry on the camera bag and then put into the overhead storage above my seat.

Any suggestions about packing foam, positioning, etc. ?

BTW I use mostly Domke F2 Original bags and also rarely, but sometimes Lowepro bags.

I also carry my K-1 and K-5 with a lens attached, in the bag, firmly padded underneath, to support the lens. Usually the 18-135 on the K5 and the 28-105 on the K-1.
I carry my equipment in a Domke Journalist Chronicle which is similar to your F2. I carry larger lenses base down in the individual compartments, smaller lenses such as the DA limiteds the same way although I may stack them in their leather pouches. my K-3 is in the middle compartment in an upright position if I lave a small limited on. Or I lay it on its back. lens pointing up if I have a larger lens such as DA 16-85 or 55-300 PLM on. This works best for me.
03-02-2018, 05:56 PM   #11

When I'm shooting and carrying lenses in a bag the lenses go into snug compartments front element down. That way I can remove or replace the rear cap with one hand while the lens is .in the compartment
03-02-2018, 06:22 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I put the lenses mount down/front objective up. I figure the mount is meant to hold the load of the lens. Obviously, most lenses change extension when focusing and if applicable, zooming. I figure the barrels that do the moving are meant to be moved, not be the fixed thing that has the base moving off of it. Figure the design is oriented towards the bottom part of the base holding things in alignment and providing the support. So, this has led me to figuring the lens is physically best protected by being base down. And perhaps it doesn't make any difference at all, but as I tried to come up with some way to evaluate load, what is designed to support what, where stresses go etc., figured putting the base down is like holding the lens from the mount versus the end.
03-03-2018, 04:31 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I don't want to co-opt this thread but the OP did ask about packing foam to protect his equipment. I have the same question but for a different situation. Occasionally I pack photo gear in motorcycle hard luggage where it's exposed to lots of vibration and bouncing, using very thick pieces of foam. Does anyone have any info or expertise with the types of foam that would best protect in this situation? I think what I've been using is closed small cell foam or something like that. I've wondered if memory foam would be better, or some other type of foam I don't know about. Thanks for any advice.
03-03-2018, 04:51 AM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
I don't want to co-opt this thread but the OP did ask about packing foam to protect his equipment. I have the same question but for a different situation. Occasionally I pack photo gear in motorcycle hard luggage where it's exposed to lots of vibration and bouncing, using very thick pieces of foam. Does anyone have any info or expertise with the types of foam that would best protect in this situation? I think what I've been using is closed small cell foam or something like that. I've wondered if memory foam would be better, or some other type of foam I don't know about. Thanks for any advice.
I don't use this idea for every day but for long trips I am considering using small bubble wrap placed around my equipment placed into a back pack

I get it on sale or collect it when I receive anything in the mail that has it.

I usually use a back pack, the size varies with how much I have to bring

I take it to the site where I am planning on taking photos, remove what I expect to need on the walking tour, leaving any excess in the vehicle in the trunk, where i can retrieve more or exchange as needed

my larger lens - HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW, HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW, SMC Pentax-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM -

are stored in the back pack si that when the back pack is on my back they are vertical is up right,

so they would be horizontal when it is flat, and the smaller lens are opposite.

I don't pay attention to which " end " of those lenses end up facing up or down

either a lowepro or Ruggard back pack

both have individual pockets which can be adjusted as needed

I use a Optech USA utility sling, a multi pocket vest for supply and spare lenses to carry " stuff " as I walk about

I also like the Optech USA double end caps as well on my smaller lenses
03-03-2018, 05:36 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I’m sitting in an airport right now, paranoid that I may have messed up... 🙂

I carry a laptop and other stuff on work trips that make my camera bag unsuitable, so the camera and lenses go in the laptop bag.

The K1 gets wrapped in a domke wrap and the lenses (or a flash) go in lens bags. Right now I have a 20-35 Tokina on the body with a 200f4, 50mmf1.7, and a small flash in their own bags. I add a folded up reusable grocery bag in the bottom for extra padding.

This basic setup has gone on a couple of long trips in good shape, but it leaves me at the destination without a camera bag...

-Eric