Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-02-2018, 03:32 PM   #1

Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 vs 2/28 vs 2.8/25...

... Which one of these do you like more and why?

03-02-2018, 04:51 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Zeiss Distagon T* 2.8/25 is and has been my choice, we have the FA31/1.8 Limited to take on and beat the other 2 but the 25 is a bit too wide. It tests really badly in that at more open apertures it has weaker corners and it is a lens that is expecting to go close. Stop down and the corners strengthen up and it acts more as a landscape lens.

@f/2.8

Close up and @f/2.8

OOF rendering:

Detail @ f/10
03-02-2018, 06:32 PM   #3
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
we have the FA31/1.8 Limited to take on and beat the other 2
An interesting statement, can you provide any examples of how the 31 beats the 28 ans 35 other than being a small light AF f1.8 lens? These are good reasons to pick a 31 LTD of course, but are not necessarily the reasons to get the 31 over either of the other lenses if you like the Zeiss rendering.

Tas

I'm guessing the answer is no then?

Last edited by Tas; 03-05-2018 at 06:58 PM.
03-05-2018, 07:40 PM - 1 Like   #4
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alvaro_garcia Quote
... Which one of these do you like more and why?
My apologies for taking so long in getting back to answer your question.

My personal preference is for the 35/2 over my 25/2.8. Having said that these lenses do different things and both need to spend more time on my K-1 as I got used to shooting them with a K5 and the APSC FoV.

From my personal experience the 25 needs me to be more careful in how I use that lens to get the most out of it. It is really very good at minimum focus distance and can be a really enjoyable lens if that's your style of shooting and is definitely one of that lenses strengths. It renders well, has great colours and contrast and if you went with a 25/2.8 I'd be surprised if you were disappointed with it.

(NOTE: the image above of Sydney Harbour was shot through a hotel window, thankfully the glass was relatively clean )

Since I picked up the K-1 though I'd have to say the 25 has seen little time on the camera. This is not due to any issues I see with the lens but due to being lucky enough to pick up a 21/2.8 around the same time as the K-1. The 21mm is better for me as I do prefer a wider FoV.

The other lens out of the three you've listed that I do have is the 35/2. I wished I had the 28/2 as well but that will have to wait for now. So why do I prefer the 35/2 over the 25/2.8? Well, I found with the Zeiss lenses that I own that I had a preference to shoot at f2 and this is something that when you get it right with the 2/35 it is real fun and the 3D look is brilliant.

I can recommend both of these lenses and think the price, FoV and aperture speed should be the primary elements to make your decision on as both are very good investments. If you want some more feedback on your question I can also recommend you pose the same question in this thread here: Carl Zeiss T* ZK mounts (Distagon, Planar, Makro-Planar) - PentaxForums.com Most of the images above are cross posts as most are in that thread somewhere.

So this thread is where you can check out many more examples of Zeiss lenses on Pentax, including those converted from Nikon mount via a Leitax adaptor. The thread is where you're likely to catch the eye of others with these lenses and get more feedback before you make you decision. Oh, one last thing, don't forget to share some of your images with us in the ZK thread too. That is the important bit after all.

Tas

03-06-2018, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
I got the three Zeiss lenses. What I need now is time to test them all. I'll share with you my thoughts.