Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2018, 10:21 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 8
Teleconverter for HD PENTAX D FA* 70-200mm f/2.8 ED DC AW Lens

I'm looking for a teleconverter that will be compatible with my lens (and Pentax KP camera).
I've seen there is a 1.4x available, is that the only choice out there that's good quality?
(Corrected post, I had mistakenly typed K2 not KP.)


Last edited by wolfers_too; 03-03-2018 at 11:14 AM.
03-03-2018, 10:41 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Washington Cascades
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,513
The Pentax HD 1.4x TC is quite good if expensive. It works well on APS-C cameras and on some lenses with FF bodies. Not sure what camera you have? The K2 is a film era FF camera.

If you have a FF camera then TC choices are limited. There is the Pentax 1.7x AF adapter but that is not likely to do what you want exactly. There are also a third party 1.4x TC that should work. Tamron and Sigma both make one. And I think Kenko as well. Not sure if the Sigma will work with all lenses though.
03-03-2018, 10:54 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,385
If you decide on the newest 1.4 converter, keep checking the marketplace

You might find a deal if you don't mind and "experienced " lens
03-03-2018, 10:59 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Washington Cascades
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,513
Just noticed there is a Tamron for sale on the marketplace: Tamron-F 1.4X Pz-AF MC4 Teleconverter - PentaxForums.com There were several versions of the Tamron, this looks like the correct one but you should ask. Not my listing, no affiliation.

03-03-2018, 11:09 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,385
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Just noticed there is a Tamron for sale on the marketplace: Tamron-F 1.4X Pz-AF MC4 Teleconverter - PentaxForums.com There were several versions of the Tamron, this looks like the correct one but you should ask. Not my listing, no affiliation.
Tamron-F 1.4X Pz-AF MC4 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

I think this is the review for that one

I have no connection with the seller
03-03-2018, 11:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: mid nth coast,nsw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,293
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Not sure if the Sigma will work with all lenses though.
Theres one Sigma that wont,its compatability is on the Sigma website.Another Sigma seems to work with everything(but mine wont come off the 55-300)

Tamrom/vivitar...Kenko made 1.4 is quite good,its got a few other names as well.
03-03-2018, 11:16 AM   #7
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 8
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
The Pentax HD 1.4x TC is quite good if expensive. It works well on APS-C cameras and on some lenses with FF bodies. Not sure what camera you have? The K2 is a film era FF camera.

If you have a FF camera then TC choices are limited. There is the Pentax 1.7x AF adapter but that is not likely to do what you want exactly. There are also a third party 1.4x TC that should work. Tamron and Sigma both make one. And I think Kenko as well. Not sure if the Sigma will work with all lenses though.
I edited my original post, I had the wrong camera model. Sorry!! It's a Pentax KP DSLR.
03-03-2018, 11:17 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 49,786
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfers_too Quote
I'm looking for a teleconverter that will be compatible with my lens (and Pentax KP camera).
I've seen there is a 1.4x available, is that the only choice out there that's good quality?
(Corrected post, I had mistakenly typed K2 not KP.)
This is the best teleconverter, as long as you're shooting on APS-C:

Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-03-2018, 11:18 AM   #9
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 8
Original Poster
I had a 2.0 converter for my manual K-mount camera which didn't cooperate with my digital cameras.
So am shopping now. I'm inclined to stick with Pentax/Ricoh based on some of the comments I've
read in other threads concerning compatibility.

---------- Post added 03-03-18 at 11:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This is the best teleconverter, as long as you're shooting on APS-C:

Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Thanks, Adam. That's the only one I've found, too.
03-03-2018, 11:20 AM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: mid nth coast,nsw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,293
Sigma X1.4 Tele Converter AF Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Works well on K-1, no WR though.
03-03-2018, 11:22 AM   #11
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 8
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Tamron-F 1.4X Pz-AF MC4 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

I think this is the review for that one

I have no connection with the seller
Thanks!
03-03-2018, 11:34 AM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bangalore, India
Posts: 581
I purchased Pentax-DA 1.4x AW (NEW) from JP seller on AMZ. They are much cheaper compared BH & Adrm.
03-03-2018, 11:51 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Washington Cascades
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,513
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfers_too Quote
I edited my original post, I had the wrong camera model. Sorry!! It's a Pentax KP DSLR.
Ok. The KP is APS-C, in that case I would get the Pentax HD 1.4x rear converter. It is superb on APS-C. Sadly not so much on FF.
03-03-2018, 12:06 PM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,385
since the OP lives in the US there is an option

it will cost $

look at rental companies


I know of two

LensRental.com and Borrowlenses.com

I have used LensRental and they treated me right

rent the 1.4 rear converter and do try out/testing before buying one

I have no connection to either company

_____________________________

this thread might be of interest

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/257619-pentax-hd-pentax-d...lens-club.html
03-03-2018, 12:14 PM   #15
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 8
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
since the OP lives in the US there is an option

it will cost $

look at rental companies


I know of two

LensRental.com and Borrowlenses.com

I have used LensRental and they treated me right

rent the 1.4 rear converter and do try out/testing before buying one

I have no connection to either company

_____________________________

this thread might be of interest

The Pentax HD PENTAX-DA AF Rear Converter 1.4X AW (and any lens) Club - PentaxForums.com
Thanks for the link. I did look through that earlier. There seems to be general agreement that this is a good quality TC.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
converter, d fa* 70-200mm f/2.8, f/2.8 ed dc, fa* 70-200mm f/2.8, hd pentax, k-mount, lens, pentax, pentax d fa*, pentax lens, slr lens, tc, teleconverter, teleconverter for hd
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax HD PENTAX-D FA* 70-200mm f/2.8 ED DC AW . . . CLUB! HopelessTogger Lens Clubs 437 12-22-2020 08:34 PM
HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW Nguyen Nam Lens Sample Photo Archive 15 07-09-2020 04:45 PM
Pentax HD PENTAX D FA* 70-200mm f/2.8 ED DC AW Lens Length C_Jones Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 11-18-2016 07:28 PM
Review HD PENTAX-D FA* 70-200mm f/2.8 ED DC AW (Retest on 36 Mpx K-1) beholder3 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 13 05-19-2016 08:09 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:11 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top