Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2018, 10:21 AM   #1

Teleconverter for HD PENTAX D FA* 70-200mm f/2.8 ED DC AW Lens

I'm looking for a teleconverter that will be compatible with my lens (and Pentax KP camera).
I've seen there is a 1.4x available, is that the only choice out there that's good quality?
(Corrected post, I had mistakenly typed K2 not KP.)

Last edited by wolfers_too; 03-03-2018 at 11:14 AM.
03-03-2018, 10:41 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax HD 1.4x TC is quite good if expensive. It works well on APS-C cameras and on some lenses with FF bodies. Not sure what camera you have? The K2 is a film era FF camera.

If you have a FF camera then TC choices are limited. There is the Pentax 1.7x AF adapter but that is not likely to do what you want exactly. There are also a third party 1.4x TC that should work. Tamron and Sigma both make one. And I think Kenko as well. Not sure if the Sigma will work with all lenses though.
03-03-2018, 10:54 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

If you decide on the newest 1.4 converter, keep checking the marketplace

You might find a deal if you don't mind and "experienced " lens
03-03-2018, 10:59 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just noticed there is a Tamron for sale on the marketplace: Tamron-F 1.4X Pz-AF MC4 Teleconverter - PentaxForums.com There were several versions of the Tamron, this looks like the correct one but you should ask. Not my listing, no affiliation.

03-03-2018, 11:09 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Just noticed there is a Tamron for sale on the marketplace: Tamron-F 1.4X Pz-AF MC4 Teleconverter - PentaxForums.com There were several versions of the Tamron, this looks like the correct one but you should ask. Not my listing, no affiliation.
Tamron-F 1.4X Pz-AF MC4 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

I think this is the review for that one

I have no connection with the seller
03-03-2018, 11:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not sure if the Sigma will work with all lenses though.
Theres one Sigma that wont,its compatability is on the Sigma website.Another Sigma seems to work with everything(but mine wont come off the 55-300)

Tamrom/vivitar...Kenko made 1.4 is quite good,its got a few other names as well.
03-03-2018, 11:16 AM   #7

Original Poster
The Pentax HD 1.4x TC is quite good if expensive. It works well on APS-C cameras and on some lenses with FF bodies. Not sure what camera you have? The K2 is a film era FF camera.

If you have a FF camera then TC choices are limited. There is the Pentax 1.7x AF adapter but that is not likely to do what you want exactly. There are also a third party 1.4x TC that should work. Tamron and Sigma both make one. And I think Kenko as well. Not sure if the Sigma will work with all lenses though.
I edited my original post, I had the wrong camera model. Sorry!! It's a Pentax KP DSLR.

03-03-2018, 11:17 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfers_too Quote
I'm looking for a teleconverter that will be compatible with my lens (and Pentax KP camera).
I've seen there is a 1.4x available, is that the only choice out there that's good quality?
(Corrected post, I had mistakenly typed K2 not KP.)
This is the best teleconverter, as long as you're shooting on APS-C:

Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-03-2018, 11:18 AM   #9

Original Poster
I had a 2.0 converter for my manual K-mount camera which didn't cooperate with my digital cameras.
So am shopping now. I'm inclined to stick with Pentax/Ricoh based on some of the comments I've
read in other threads concerning compatibility.

---------- Post added 03-03-18 at 11:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This is the best teleconverter, as long as you're shooting on APS-C:

Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Thanks, Adam. That's the only one I've found, too.
03-03-2018, 11:20 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sigma X1.4 Tele Converter AF Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Works well on K-1, no WR though.
03-03-2018, 11:22 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Tamron-F 1.4X Pz-AF MC4 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

I think this is the review for that one

I have no connection with the seller
Thanks!
03-03-2018, 11:34 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I purchased Pentax-DA 1.4x AW (NEW) from JP seller on AMZ. They are much cheaper compared BH & Adrm.
03-03-2018, 11:51 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfers_too Quote
I edited my original post, I had the wrong camera model. Sorry!! It's a Pentax KP DSLR.
Ok. The KP is APS-C, in that case I would get the Pentax HD 1.4x rear converter. It is superb on APS-C. Sadly not so much on FF.
03-03-2018, 12:06 PM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

since the OP lives in the US there is an option

it will cost $

look at rental companies

I know of two

LensRental.com and Borrowlenses.com

I have used LensRental and they treated me right

rent the 1.4 rear converter and do try out/testing before buying one

I have no connection to either company

this thread might be of interest

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/257619-pentax-hd-pentax-d...lens-club.html
03-03-2018, 12:14 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
since the OP lives in the US there is an option

it will cost $

look at rental companies

I know of two

LensRental.com and Borrowlenses.com

I have used LensRental and they treated me right

rent the 1.4 rear converter and do try out/testing before buying one

I have no connection to either company

this thread might be of interest

The Pentax HD PENTAX-DA AF Rear Converter 1.4X AW (and any lens) Club - PentaxForums.com
Thanks for the link. I did look through that earlier. There seems to be general agreement that this is a good quality TC.