Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-03-2018, 01:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Possible defective DA 300

I just purchased a used DA 300 from amazon through a third party vendor. When I tried the lens, it doesn’t seem to be autofocusing properly. When I look through the lens it seems like it is not even close to being on focus. The manual focus ring is also very loose, which seems odd on such a high end lens. I’m wondering if the lens is defective.

I just got a new camera and lens so I’m not sure which is the problem. I don’t have any other Pentax gear, so I’m unable to rule anything out. Are there any settings I need to look at? I’m still trying to figure out the AF since I’ve never shot Pentax before. How do I switch the selected autofocus point?

03-03-2018, 01:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It should be close to on focus the first time you put it on your camera. As long as you are past the minimum focusing distance for the lens which is 140CM so if you are trying to focus on something less than almost 5 feet away, you are too close. If the focusing ring is sloppy and loose, I would Email for an RMA and send it back. If you are a Prime member you will usually get your credit back on your account once the package is being tracked. Or a replacement shipped.
03-03-2018, 02:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
It should be close to on focus the first time you put it on your camera. As long as you are past the minimum focusing distance for the lens which is 140CM so if you are trying to focus on something less than almost 5 feet away, you are too close. If the focusing ring is sloppy and loose, I would Email for an RMA and send it back. If you are a Prime member you will usually get your credit back on your account once the package is being tracked. Or a replacement shipped.
I think I’m going to have to do an exchange. I’ve been shooting for a long time and this is definitely a first for me.
03-03-2018, 02:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The DA*300 is not a particularly fast focussing lens, but in my experience it is very accurate once it locks on.
The focussing ring is quite well damped for an AF lens, and could not be described as loose in any way.

From what you have described, you have a dud. Return it.

03-03-2018, 02:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The DA*300 is not a particularly fast focussing lens, but in my experience it is very accurate once it locks on.
The focussing ring is quite well damped for an AF lens, and could not be described as loose in any way.

From what you have described, you have a dud. Return it.
Ok, thanks for confirming. It’s disappointing, but things happen. I’m just going to go for a new copy since the price is very reasonable.
03-03-2018, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote
Ok, thanks for confirming. It’s disappointing, but things happen. I’m just going to go for a new copy since the price is very reasonable.
Once you get a good copy in your hands all disappointment will disappear
03-03-2018, 06:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote

BTW: I've been shooting a DA*300/4 since 2008 with no problems. It's my 'go to' field lens and its SDM has never failed me.
And producing fabulous photos with it!

03-03-2018, 07:00 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just out of warranty my DA* 300 f/4 will not focus. At all. On the camera or off. Lens elements do not move. Focus ring practically spins if it's windy outside. In other words no damping what so ever, Could be a simple fix. I don't know. But what I paid for it I thought it would work for more than a year and a half.

Last edited by DW58; 03-03-2018 at 07:14 PM.
03-03-2018, 07:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Just out of warranty my DA* 300 f/4 will not focus. At all. On the camera or off. Lens elements do not move. Focus ring practically spins if it's windy outside. In other words no damping what so ever,
That really sucks, I would contact Ricoh Imaging.
03-03-2018, 08:34 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just out of warranty my DA* 300 f/4 will not focus. At all. On the camera or off. Lens elements do not move. Focus ring practically spins if it's windy outside. In other words no damping what so ever,
If that happened to mine it would already be at the repair workshop.
03-03-2018, 08:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just out of warranty my DA* 300 f/4 will not focus. At all. On the camera or off. Lens elements do not move. Focus ring practically spins if it's windy outside. In other words no damping what so ever, Could be a simple fix. I don't know. But what I paid for it I thought it would work for more than a year and a half.
That’s what’s going on with this one. I’m returning it and purchasing a new lens. I’ll report the serial number of my defective copy on the forum in case it gets sent to someone else.
03-03-2018, 09:28 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
If that happened to mine it would already be at the repair workshop.
When I get the time I'll be taking it up to Advance Camera in Portland to let them take a look at it. It tends to rain a bit during the winter here in Oregon. With my other lenses I haven't missed this lens all that much yet. Just disappointing to say the least.
03-03-2018, 10:09 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
When I shot canon I had the 17-55 F/2.8. I had the focus motor go out one year and the stabilizer the next. I loved the lens though, so I was willing to pay to fix it. I feel your pain.
03-04-2018, 12:22 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well this is embarrassing... The problem was that the diopter was way off. Once I fixed that, everything was great.
03-04-2018, 01:43 PM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote
Well this is embarrassing... The problem was that the diopter was way off. Once I fixed that, everything was great.
????

are you talking about your DA * 300mm ?

can you explain in the simplest terms

I am easily confused