Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2018, 04:12 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 11,604
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote

I can't find anything in the reviews which indicate there is a difference between the autofocusing abilities between the DAL, the DA and DA WR versions of the 55-300mm zoom .
Well, they're all screw drive.

03-05-2018, 04:17 AM - 1 Like   #47
amateur dirt farmer...
Loyal Site Supporter
pepperberry farm's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,248
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote

I can't find anything in the reviews which indicate there is a difference between the autofocusing abilities between the DAL, the DA and DA WR versions of the 55-300mm zoom but a noticeable difference between those 3 and the newest PLM version which has an entirely different drive system causing an improvement in the AF speed but as a higher price.

that's because there is no difference between any of them as far as the AF mechanism; it's only the missing quickshift that distinguishes the DA L variant...
03-05-2018, 04:30 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2015
Location: Hampshire
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 800
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I can't find anything in the reviews which indicate there is a difference between the autofocusing abilities between the DAL, the DA and DA WR versions of the 55-300mm zoom

I think that as has already been mentioned, the quick focus allows the operator to focus near to the correct point then have the AF finally pinpoint it rather than have the lens go through a much larger effort to find the point of focus by going to the stops and having to reverse to find it.
I am happy with my DA L but do wish I had that ability to quicken up my focussing and to enable focus changes to be made when trying to shoot birds in trees with branches in the way.
03-05-2018, 04:44 AM   #49
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,471
QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
. . . to enable focus changes to be made when trying to shoot birds in trees with branches in the way.
yes

I use the " quick focus " feature when I have it as a final tweak of focusing as oppose to a prefocus tool

03-05-2018, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #50
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2008
Location: London, UK
Posts: 786
QuoteOriginally posted by Froth Ninja Quote
Hmm... tempted to save for the HD - the weather proofing could be useful & the rest of the K3 is meant to be weather proof too. Our area can be a little damp...
Is it worth buying screen protectors or do they reduce visibility of the read outs?
The K-3 has a 3.2" (diagonal) rear screen and it's not too easy to find protectors that large - tried several cheap and stick-on ones (rubbish!) , but the one that comes most consistently recommended is the ACMAXX 3.2" LCD Screen Armour Protector. Not particularly cheap or very readily available, but you can get them from onlinefred62 in the US - see here

I have them on both the K-3 (with the now discontinued top LCD protector as well) and the K-3 II, and can recommend them - they do darken the screen brilliance a little, but I'll put up with that because they protect very well (scratched several other rear screens in my time).
03-05-2018, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #51
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Durham, England
Posts: 10,471
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
The K-3 has a 3.2" (diagonal) rear screen and it's not too easy to find protectors that large - tried several cheap and stick-on ones (rubbish!) , but the one that comes most consistently recommended is the ACMAXX 3.2" LCD Screen Armour Protector. Not particularly cheap or very readily available, but you can get them from onlinefred62 in the US - see here

I have them on both the K-3 (with the now discontinued top LCD protector as well) and the K-3 II, and can recommend them - they do darken the screen brilliance a little, but I'll put up with that because they protect very well (scratched several other rear screens in my time).
I get all my LCD protectors from a German company called "protectionfilms24"... they have a wide range of good quality choices for most Pentax models, the prices are sensible and postage to the UK is cheap and fast.

My favourite is the Vikuiti DQCT-130. The much cheaper "Brotect HD-Clear" is pretty good too (half the price, and two in a pack). Most packs include both a main and top screen protector.

Here's their full range:

Screen Protectors for Pentax K3, K-3 | protectionfilms24.com
03-05-2018, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2008
Location: London, UK
Posts: 786
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I get all my LCD protectors from a German company called "protectionfilms24"... they have a wide range of good quality choices for most Pentax models, the prices are sensible and postage to the UK is cheap and fast.

My favourite is the Vikuiti DQCT-130. The much cheaper "Brotect HD-Clear" is pretty good too (half the price, and two in a pack). Most packs include both a main and top screen protector.

Here's their full range:

Screen Protectors for Pentax K3, K-3 | protectionfilms24.com
Mike

Had a look at that website, but am I correct in thinking that most are self-adhesive film-type protectors?

Asking that because - TBH - I/we have never had any real success with that type as I/we could never get bubble-free results. I much prefer the hard type which have rims which are stuck to the body around the screen, but nothing actually touches the screen of the K-3 (the ACMAXX are like that).
03-05-2018, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #53
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Durham, England
Posts: 10,471
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Mike

Had a look at that website, but am I correct in thinking that most are self-adhesive film-type protectors?

Asking that because - TBH - I/we have never had any real success with that type as I/we could never get bubble-free results. I much prefer the hard type which have rims which are stuck to the body around the screen, but nothing actually touches the screen of the K-3 (the ACMAXX are like that).
It depends what you mean by self-adhesive... There's no sticky adhesive, but they do attach themselves to the whole surface with an adhesive-like action, though they can be peeled off at any time without leaving residue.

There's a knack to installing them without bubbles. The first couple I tried were dreadful, but I can fit them without any problem now. I clean the screen first with a moist optical wipe (like you'd use for spectacles) - I use Zeiss lens wipes, which have good anti-static properties... this minimises the possibility of any new dust being attracted to the screen during the short fitting time. Then I use a bulb blower to get rid of any remaining dust. I peel off one edge of the protector's backing and apply to the left edge of the screen, then slowly pull away more of the backing while using a finger to "squeegy" the protector onto the screen a few millimetres at a time, slowly. This way, bubbles don't usually form. If there are any bubbles left after fitting, I use the corner of a credit card wrapped in a couple of moistened lens papers, or an optical wipe, to work the bubbles out towards the edges gradually. It sounds complicated, but it's not

I'd also point out that small bubbles make little or no difference when the screen is on. They may not look pretty when the camera is switched off, but these protectors aren't permanent fittings - they're only there to guard against scratches, and the cosmetics of the camera can be fully restored by simply removing the protector. So it doesn't really matter if there are a couple of tiny bubbles here and there - they're barely noticeable when actually using the camera. Having said that, I do try to remove all of them, and in most cases I've had no problem doing so.

I've heard that some people run a hot shower and take their camera into the bathroom when fitting these screens, as the steam reduces the dust in the air. I tried it once and didn't notice much difference, but I probably didn't get the room steamy enough

The hard glass protectors you mention look good, and I know some people swear by them, but I've never been keen on the idea of a strong, sticky adhesive around the edge of the screen - especially after having to remove one from a used *ist DL I bought. It's just my personal preference, that's all.


Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-05-2018 at 01:22 PM.
03-06-2018, 02:39 AM   #54
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 16
Original Poster
Great info - thank you
03-06-2018, 03:14 AM - 1 Like   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Lancaster
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 766
I also have the K3 and am planning on getting a nice 55-300mm. I also have a crappy budget bearing that in mind, I picked up an SMC 100-300mm f4.7 for £45. Itís the silver one. The black one has had quite a bit of bad press. It is a reasonable lens but sometimes hunts a bit and it is quite noisy but you can get good results and the price wonít break the bank. Possibly a good stop gap if you canít see yourself affording a 55-300mm in the near future. There is also the Tamron 18-250mm which is virtually the same as the Pentax version (they are the same lens) and there is one of them on eBay for £119. That would give you a bit more flexibility but you lose 50mm off the length. Sigma also do the 70-300mm, there is one on eBay for £42 and the 28-300mm (£149) but at that you are into SMC da 55-300 wr territory. Once again, whatever you are thinking of getting, make sure you read the reviews, particularly the sigma ones happy hunting
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
300, advice, af, aperture, autofocus, bodies and lenses, body, budget, cheap, compromise, da, ebay, focus, k-mount, k3, k3 recommendations, lens, lenses, pentax, pentax camera lens, pentax lens, pm, post, recommendations, shift, slr lens, zoom
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K3 II AF vs K3 AF MyTZuS Pentax K-3 40 06-04-2015 11:26 AM
1 premium WR zoom VS. cheap WR zoom-premium zoom combo mythguy9 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 11-27-2013 08:51 AM
Cheap, good, old MF 300mm zoom or tele... Any recommendations? GibbyTheMole Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 16 03-10-2011 09:02 PM
Cheap manual lens on cheap extension tube with cheap flash! Also cats. pasipasi Post Your Photos! 12 08-28-2008 04:43 PM
Wide angle zoom (full frame) recommendations/comments please. DaveR Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 02-04-2008 11:49 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:01 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top