Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
03-04-2018, 10:50 AM   #31
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I found holding the 55-300 back just a bit, maybe 280 or 290, from max also helped the sharpness some.
That's great advice for most telephoto zoom lenses... Shooting at a little less than maximum focal length almost always results in better sharpness, and the small difference in magnification is easily overcome with some very minor cropping...

03-04-2018, 02:14 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The DA-L version does not have quick shift, so you will be very frustrated by the focus.
Spend a few extra bucks on the SMC DA 55-300 so you can at least use quick shift to get close first.
I haven't used the PLM version, but everyone says it's the fastest focussing lens Pentax makes.
03-04-2018, 02:31 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The DA-L version does not have quick shift, so you will be very frustrated by the focus.
Spend a few extra bucks on the SMC DA 55-300 so you can at least use quick shift to get close first.
I haven't used the PLM version, but everyone says it's the fastest focussing lens Pentax makes.
Agree with the comment about the DA-L versions.

The PLM is blinding fast - at least as good as the 100-300 F4 Sigma on my K-3 II (that's FAST!)
03-04-2018, 02:41 PM   #34
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The plm is amazing and so is the price

The op''s stated budget rules it out

Yes the da l has " limitations " but it is within his budget, are the alternatives, if so, yes they do have advantages

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-04-2018 at 02:47 PM.
03-04-2018, 02:55 PM - 3 Likes   #35

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
My budget is extremely limited and I have found that when I buy cheap I pay dear - that is I am disappointed with the cheaper offerings and if I wait an save for a better lens I get better results more consistently. It took me three years but last month I finally managed to get the DA*300mm F4 and it is a beautiful lens. I haven't been able to give it a full work out yet (it's too cold and our birds haven't flown back yet) but I am very happy with what I have done shooting through my living room window. What I am trying to say is it might be worth considering what is important for the long term as there is no point in buying what you can afford now, if putting that money towards what you can afford down the road buys you a better lens. That being said I have the HD DA55-300mm version and it is lovely lens.
03-04-2018, 03:00 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
I have found that when I buy cheap I pay dear
Absolutely.
Great to hear from you Stevi. Obviously the internet is starting to thaw around your river
03-04-2018, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #37
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
What I am trying to say is it might be worth considering what is important for the long term as there is no point in buying what you can afford now, if putting that money towards what you can afford down the road buys you a better lens. That being said I have the HD DA55-300mm version and it is lovely lens.
Good advice

That said, a used copy of a non-HD 55-300 has probably dropped in price about as far as its going to. It's possible - I think - to buy one, get a year or two (or three ) of use from it, then sell it on at very little loss, freeing up the money to put towards that better lens.

Of course, you need to have the discipline to sell the original lens when you're done with it... and that's something I've singularly failed to do with the vast majority of my own lenses, including those I no longer use regularly. I've become attached to them... even the less-than-stellar ones

03-04-2018, 03:15 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
The plm is amazing and so is the price ..
At the "normal" price that's true - but I bagged a PLM on the very last day (from a Pentax Pro dealer!) of the UK "Xmas" sales = £279 UK or about $400 US (that's why I'll soon be selling the older 55-300).

The PLM was bought for a hoped-for holiday in the Far East later this year, but that may not now happen for health (SWMBO) reasons - if so, then I might sell it on, and make a profit

Last edited by jeallen01; 03-04-2018 at 03:48 PM.
03-04-2018, 03:25 PM   #39
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
At the "normal" price that's true - but I bagged a PLM on the very last day (from a Pentax Pro dealer!) of the UK "Xmas" sales = £279 UK or about $400 US (that's why I'll soon be selling the older 55-300).
Nice

Some times it pays to be lucky:

I scored an " experienced " " like new " DF A * 70-200mm F2.8 being sold in the market place well under normal pricing by member forced to stop photography because of health

I sent pm within 15 minutes of the first posting

Sellers told me he got 42 pm's asking about buying the lens after I had contacted him

the seller was very nice and dealt with me since I was the first to contact him

someone else might have been tempted with so many folks interested to try to adjust the price upward

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-04-2018 at 03:31 PM.
03-04-2018, 03:51 PM   #40

Original Poster
Hmm... tempted to save for the HD - the weather proofing could be useful & the rest of the K3 is meant to be weather proof too. Our area can be a little damp...
Is it worth buying screen protectors or do they reduce visibility of the read outs?
03-04-2018, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #41
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Froth Ninja Quote
Hmm... tempted to save for the HD - the weather proofing could be useful & the rest of the K3 is meant to be weather proof too. Our area can be a little damp...
Is it worth buying screen protectors or do they reduce visibility of the read outs?
The WR is worth having, if you can summon the patience to save up and wait I haven't used mine in *really* bad weather, but it's been out for extended periods in drizzle numerous times with no ill effects. Not something I'd try with a non-WR lens.

I have screen protectors on all of my cameras. They vary considerably, and all of them are somewhat more reflective than the camera's own screen cover... but they do the job of protecting the screen from mild scratches, and they can be wiped down in the field without worry (which is why I fit them). I'd recommend going for a flexible semi-hard version rather than the really thin and soft type. They're easier to install without leaving air bubbles, and they provide better protection
03-04-2018, 04:04 PM   #42
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
. . . . The PLM was bought for a hoped-for holiday in the Far East later this year, but that may not now happen for health (SWMBO) reasons - if so, then I might sell it on, and make a profit
I hope everything works out well

we had to cancel our trip to Baja California scheduled for right now when it was determined I had a detached retina and macula in my left eye on February 8

my next dr appointment is late Tuesday PM
03-04-2018, 07:10 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Froth Ninja Quote
The HD WR f/4-5.8 lens is definitely worth it. The AF is not slow unless going immediately from a near point to a far point and back- a rather extreme situation. The reason for slowness then is the relative long rotation of the focusing collar, but that is better for fine-tuning manual focus. The special price for this lens now being run by B&H of NYC is amazing.
03-04-2018, 07:38 PM   #44
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but -

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
The HD WR f/4-5.8 lens is definitely worth it. The AF is not slow unless going immediately from a near point to a far point and back- a rather extreme situation. The reason for slowness then is the relative long rotation of the focusing collar, but that is better for fine-tuning manual focus. The special price for this lens now being run by B&H of NYC is amazing.
???????????????????????????????

B H currently has this lens for sale at $396.95

Pentax HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED WR Lens 22270 B&H Photo

Amazon has it for sale at $342.39

amazon.com : Pentax HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED WR Lens : Camcorder Lenses : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

are these the prices you are looking at?

the recent deal which was being offered by B H selling the lens for

HD-DA 55-300 WR's (new) - $146.95 at B&H

has ended unfortunately

" this deal has ended as of noon on March 2nd. "

Read more at: Steal: HD DA 55-300mm Lens Only $147 - Deals and Savings | PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-04-2018 at 07:47 PM.
03-05-2018, 03:53 AM   #45
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
The HD WR f/4-5.8 lens is definitely worth it. The AF is not slow unless going immediately from a near point to a far point and back- a rather extreme situation. The reason for slowness then is the relative long rotation of the focusing collar, but that is better for fine-tuning manual focus. . . .
I'm sorry if I am beating a dead horse but I have a problem [ well, more than one probably but only one regarding this subject ]

I can't find anything in the reviews which indicate there is a difference between the autofocusing abilities between the DAL, the DA and DA WR versions of the 55-300mm zoom but a noticeable difference between those 3 and the newest PLM version which has an entirely different drive system causing an improvement in the AF speed but as a higher price.

the differences between the DA L version and the others are -

1 - the weight, the DA L being lightest at 425 g (15 oz.)

2 - the HD has different lens coatings than the SMC lenses and:

3 -"the much-loved Pentax Quick-Shift, which allows the manual overriding of the focus ring while the camera is in autofocus mode and without having to switch it to manual focus. It's an excellent feature for helping the lens along and 'resetting' the focus ring while autofocus tracking.

4 - that [ both DA variants ] lens comes with a lens hood. Might seem trivial, however the inclusion of the lens hood in the box is one of the three features that set it apart from the "DA L 55-300."

5 -the bayonet mount, where the lens mount [ of the DA L ] . . . is made of a hardened plastic. "

Read more at: HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED WR Review - The Three '55-300mm' Variants | PentaxForums.com Reviews

and " While not as critical as the aforementioned three features, you may have also noticed three slight cosmetic differences as well. Starting from the lens mount, the "Pentax Ring" is gray rather than the iconic green. The next difference is the name of the lens itself, clearly visible between the two images where it states either "DA "1:4-5.8" or "DA L 1:4-5.8." The last change is the lack of a distance scale above the focus ring. [ on the DA L ] "

Read more at: HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED WR Review - The Three '55-300mm' Variants | PentaxForums.com Reviews

of course the DA L is usually cheaper than the others. If you can find the DA or the DA WR version at or near the same price and the same condition as a DA L, I agree, grab one of those.

Have I missed something? I do like to provide correct information in my comments

I never owned any of the 3 DA variants, I did own a DA L variant at one time and found it fit my needs at the time.