Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2008, 03:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Zoom lens recomendation for Pentax K100D?

I am trying to stay under $400 for a good zoom lens. I currently have an old Soligor zoom which I purchased in the early to mid 80's for my Pentax MG (RIP, she was a great camera!!) that I am using. It works good, but I shoot a lot of soccer games, volleyball, softball games for the kids and the focusing is getting old.

Which lens could I get into that will do the job and staying within my budget? Thank you.

vmax84

09-03-2008, 04:15 AM   #2

I have recently dumped my 50-200 for a sigma 70-300 APO, which worked very nice on my K100d, but I have sold my k100 and now its doing just as great a job on my k20d.
What I miss the most is the DA 50-135 PENTAX
*sob*

Why not go to a nice shop and test a few in the parking lot (unless you are planning on buying online)
09-03-2008, 06:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Any links to lens appreciated. Thanks again.

vmax84
09-03-2008, 07:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

if you need range get the Pentax DA 55-300 that should fit your budget nicely. it's a bit slow on the long end, but decently fast < 200mm and is within your budget

09-04-2008, 03:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Any other suggestions? Thanks.

vmax84
09-04-2008, 09:43 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Realistically, it will help if you can do a little more research and/or thinking to make it clearer what you want. For instance, you say you want a "zoom", but when you refer to soccer games and so forth, it appears you probably really mean you want a telephoto lens. Which might well happen to be a zoom, but a wide angle zoom like the 12-24 wouldn't do you any good. And if you're going to be shooting *indoor* sports or other events at all, you might find that not only do need telephoto, but also a *fast* (wide maximum aperture) telephoto - which starts to point *away* from a zoom and toward a prime (single focal length) lens.

So, starting point should be figuring out what focal lengths you actually want - is 135 enough? 200? 300? 500? And if you want 500 at the long end of a zoom, are you willing to give up 50 at the short end? Then figure out what kind of maximum aperture you need - is 6.3 good enough? 5.6? 4? 2.8? And if 2.8 9or even 4), what you are willing to give up in terms of focal length range - or money - in order to get it.

There's a million lenses out there - only once you start to get handle on what kind of focal lengths and apertures you need and what price you are willing to pay can anyone narrow the choices down further.

For example, if you decide you need a zoom lens that goes up to 300mm and you don't need it to go down to 50mm and it's OK if the maximum aperture at the long end is only f/5.6, then there are several 70-300 zooms worth looking at, and they are all pretty cheap. But if you decide you need 300mm at the long end but closer to 50mm at the wide end, there is only one I know of (the DA 55-300) that gets you there, and it's considerable more expensive. None of these lenses get you anywhere *near* f/2.8. To get that, you have to give up the 300, and quite a bit more cash. And then your choices depend on whether you can settle for 135mm at the long end or need 200mm - and if the latter, whether you need it to be a zoom or could live with a 200mm prime lens.

There's just way too many options for a simple list to help without more information. But if you do just want a list of what's available, just go to bhphotovideo.com and browse for lenses for Pentax.
09-04-2008, 03:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Realistically, it will help if you can do a little more research and/or thinking to make it clearer what you want. For instance, you say you want a "zoom", but when you refer to soccer games and so forth, it appears you probably really mean you want a telephoto lens. Which might well happen to be a zoom, but a wide angle zoom like the 12-24 wouldn't do you any good. And if you're going to be shooting *indoor* sports or other events at all, you might find that not only do need telephoto, but also a *fast* (wide maximum aperture) telephoto - which starts to point *away* from a zoom and toward a prime (single focal length) lens.

So, starting point should be figuring out what focal lengths you actually want - is 135 enough? 200? 300? 500? And if you want 500 at the long end of a zoom, are you willing to give up 50 at the short end? Then figure out what kind of maximum aperture you need - is 6.3 good enough? 5.6? 4? 2.8? And if 2.8 9or even 4), what you are willing to give up in terms of focal length range - or money - in order to get it.

There's a million lenses out there - only once you start to get handle on what kind of focal lengths and apertures you need and what price you are willing to pay can anyone narrow the choices down further.

For example, if you decide you need a zoom lens that goes up to 300mm and you don't need it to go down to 50mm and it's OK if the maximum aperture at the long end is only f/5.6, then there are several 70-300 zooms worth looking at, and they are all pretty cheap. But if you decide you need 300mm at the long end but closer to 50mm at the wide end, there is only one I know of (the DA 55-300) that gets you there, and it's considerable more expensive. None of these lenses get you anywhere *near* f/2.8. To get that, you have to give up the 300, and quite a bit more cash. And then your choices depend on whether you can settle for 135mm at the long end or need 200mm - and if the latter, whether you need it to be a zoom or could live with a 200mm prime lens.

There's just way too many options for a simple list to help without more information. But if you do just want a list of what's available, just go to bhphotovideo.com and browse for lenses for Pentax.

Wow, that was some great reading! I learned a lot from your post, such as things to consider, trade-off, etc.

I'll go check out BH and browse as you suggested. Thank you very much!!

vmax84