Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2018, 08:07 AM   #1

What mode for manual lens?

I couldn't find a thread with this information - so here is my question.

I have a Super-Takumar 55mm f/2 screw mount lens (actually the first and fourth photos in the forum lens database). My K-3ii doesn't control the aperture or focus naturally. So I know that I can shoot in manual mode and select my shutter speed and ISO and meter for example with Bryan Peterson's sky brothers, but what mode works best for this type of lens? Would I get better results for example if I used green mode? What do most of you use for your manual lenses?

Mike

03-04-2018, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #2

Original Poster
Here is a shot I did at f/2.8 in green mode as an example. The ISO went to 3200 as this was done inside a barn. 1/125 sec.

03-04-2018, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You can use manual mode or Av. Because the aperture actually stops down as you turn the aperture ring the camera will meter correctly in Av mode. This does darken the viewfinder so it is best to focus first wide open, then stop the lens down to take the picture.
03-04-2018, 08:52 AM   #4

You can shoot in Av mode, but the lens must be stopped down to your working aperture.

As mentioned above setting the shutter speed with the green button works. Again the lens has to be stopped down for the meter reading and exposure.

If you like feeling nearly totally in control you can use "needle match" metering with your K-3ii. Make sure use aperture ring is enabled and DOF preview is set to Optical in your setup menus. Set the camera to Manual mode, turn on the meter, operate the DOF preview on power switch. The EV bar meter should light up and you can center the exposure by turning the aperture ring on the lens (set to man with the m/a switch on lens, if any) or the shutter speed with the eDial.

Which is best really depends on your shooting style, subject, and personal preferences. Since I shoot mostly macro and close-ups I find using a combination of the green button and needle match metering the best. The green button quickly sets the shutter speed into the ballpark (saves me spinning the dial through who knows how many EVs) and then fine tuning with the needle match.

If I was shooting moving subjects Av mode or M with the green button may be better to save time. Focusing could be a problem with slower lenses or smaller apertures.

You should run some tests to see if there are exposure differences between the various modes and methods.

03-04-2018, 09:19 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you pschulute and Not a Number! Some good ideas to try. I had not heard of "needle match" before. It is nice that you get the little focus beep and solid read indicator even in manual focus.
03-04-2018, 09:24 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This might help: Using Manual Lenses (M42 Screwmount, M , K) on Pentax DSLRs F-- - PentaxForums.com
03-04-2018, 09:42 AM   #7

Original Poster
Yes, thank you. And a video too.
03-04-2018, 10:37 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You are most welcome. Takumars are great fun. But don't assume that metering will be as exact as with a new lens. There will be considerable variation in how one lens reacts versus another. And even the same lens will over or under expose depending on the aperture. For example my S-M-C Takumar 35mm f/3.5 has about the same exposure using Av mode and manual (green button) at f/3.5. At f/8 it is off about a half stop and and f/16 it is off more than a full stop. But if you use the lens a bit you can get a sense of how to adjust using the +/- EV compensation. Av mode is much easier, but green button is more accurate (usually)

03-04-2018, 01:19 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As a counterpoint to @jatrax above, my Super-Tak 55/1.8 meters perfectly through the whole aperture range via Av mode. Your Super-Tak lens should have an A/M switch at the base of the lens. Set it to A to focus at open aperture and then switch to M to stop down and take the picture. With your camera in Av mode, metering should be automatic at whatever aperture you have set..
03-04-2018, 01:39 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
my Super-Tak 55/1.8 meters perfectly through the whole aperture range via Av mode.
On what camera @jbinpg? I did my tests on the k-5 so it has been awhile. I wonder if the newer cameras perform better in this regard.

If I get some time I would like to repeat my tests on the K-1, but I don't know when I'll get the time to do it.
03-04-2018, 02:08 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You can use Av or M. Av is more convenient, and possible with M42 lenses (unlike M and K K-mount lenses).

How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc) - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-04-2018, 02:31 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@jatrax - The Taks are made to be used on my K-1
03-04-2018, 04:36 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
@jatrax - The Taks are made to be used on my K-1
No K-1 when I started collecting Taks.

03-05-2018, 01:06 AM - 1 Like   #14
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A little extra hint - liveview , image zoom and focus peaking are brilliant with the stop down focusing you will end up doing.