Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2018, 09:11 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Ohhh Myy...."WHAT" have I done ?....lol. Takumar 300mm f4 Preset (Updated Images)

I was harmlessly scrolling through the Lens reviews on here tonight just looking , and ran across the Takumar 300 lens section.
I noticed a Takumar 300mm f4.0 preset on Goodwill Auctions the other day , and decided to go look at it again tonight and see which one it was. After doing some quick checking and researching , I determined it was a somewhat uncommon version with a kinda mediocre rating , but also somewhat desirable.

As luck would have it the auction was ending in about 30 minutes.....and....my birthday is coming up in 2 weeks
Long story short ..... I somehow "Won" it for something like $83 and its all paid for as a present to myself.....lol.

There isn't much info or images posted with this lens here , but did find some Fantastic Elk images on Flickr from one of our members (Colorado CJ)
Thanks to what few images I found on Flickr......I now have a 300mm f4.0 preset Lens coming to live with me......lol.

Anyone have any input ? I would really like to see some more images with the Frontal Preset version....Thanks !

Elk Images are from ColoradoCJ (PF Member)

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
NEX-5N  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NEX-5N  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NEX-5N  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NEX-5N  Photo 

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 03-09-2018 at 02:35 PM.
03-06-2018, 12:26 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nice find! Now post some great images showing what this old beast can do!
03-06-2018, 12:34 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have spent a relatively small amount of money on something which might be fun.
Good move!
03-06-2018, 01:03 AM - 2 Likes   #4
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have 2 of the old dears sitting in my cabinet. Lovely engineering. A bit of editing goes a long way with the images. Snapping up contrast a little. I think it would be fair to say there is a bigger difference from putting your setup on a tripod (rather than handholding) than the difference between these and a newby.

03-06-2018, 01:37 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I have not researched much on this Takumar 300/4. I only got the much later S-M-C Takumar 300/4

Being a preset lens its probably late 1950s or early 1960s. And by today's standard it might have crazy amount of aperture blades.
I believe my Preset Takumar 200/3.5 has 18 aperture blades (if I remember correctly). Back then stopping down aperture was handled by the photographer, so they could used this many aperture blades to keep aperture circular even when stopped down. When auto aperture was introduced they had to cut down on aperture blades for speed/reliability of aperture.
03-06-2018, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
I somehow "Won" it
Nice find. Hope it works out for you.

Funny how these auction sites use that word to somehow persuade you that you have won some kind of game, rather than simply purchase something. When it comes down to it, you paid a higher price than anyone else was willing to pay...so not even close to a 'win'.
03-06-2018, 07:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Nice find! Now post some great images showing what this old beast can do!
I haven't got it yet ! Thinking of trying it out for the "Birds" photo contest this month when I do.

---------- Post added 03-06-18 at 08:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
You have spent a relatively small amount of money on something which might be fun.
Good move!
I just had a feeling based on one Members Images that this could be a Real Gem.....we shall see.

---------- Post added 03-06-18 at 08:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
I have 2 of the old dears sitting in my cabinet. Lovely engineering. A bit of editing goes a long way with the images. Snapping up contrast a little. I think it would be fair to say there is a bigger difference from putting your setup on a tripod (rather than handholding) than the difference between these and a newby.
I'm sure a Tripod is a Must with this one.

---------- Post added 03-06-18 at 08:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I have not researched much on this Takumar 300/4. I only got the much later S-M-C Takumar 300/4

Being a preset lens its probably late 1950s or early 1960s. And by today's standard it might have crazy amount of aperture blades.
I believe my Preset Takumar 200/3.5 has 18 aperture blades (if I remember correctly). Back then stopping down aperture was handled by the photographer, so they could used this many aperture blades to keep aperture circular even when stopped down. When auto aperture was introduced they had to cut down on aperture blades for speed/reliability of aperture.
I have the Super-Takumar 200 3.5 with 18 blades , same as this one having 18 also. I love the Preset lenses , and hope this is similar.

03-06-2018, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #8
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sure a Tripod is a Must with this one.
Shake reduction works a treat!. There doesn't appear to be a preset model - I have a model 1 and 2 with 18 aperture blades. Apparently there is less glass in the model 1. Might do a comparison.
03-06-2018, 07:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Nice find. Hope it works out for you.

Funny how these auction sites use that word to somehow persuade you that you have won some kind of game, rather than simply purchase something. When it comes down to it, you paid a higher price than anyone else was willing to pay...so not even close to a 'win'.
Ahhh Yes , but then I paid a significantly lower price than anyone in the Lens Review section !

---------- Post added 03-06-18 at 08:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Shake reduction works a treat!. There doesn't appear to be a preset model - I have a model 1 and 2 with 18 aperture blades. Apparently there is less glass in the model 1. Might do a comparison.
Maybe I'm assuming its a preset ? At any rate the aperture ring is at the front , and there is no coupling to an automatic diaphragm.
LINK Takumar 300mm F4 (model 2) Reviews - M42 Screwmount Telephoto Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
03-06-2018, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #10
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

and there is no coupling to an automatic diaphragm
Coupling to an automatic diaphragm!!! -- there is more likely a little hatch somewhere to put the coal in!!. Nah but seriously you will actually enjoy the simplicity of the old glass.
03-06-2018, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #11
Forum Member

Rony ! You know this lens is HUGE right ? Nice find at any rate. I want to see it when you get it , Please.
03-06-2018, 07:54 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

I have a fond affection for those old front aperture preset lenses with lots of aperture blades in general, although I haven't used that model. They have a different look than modern lenses, and they tend to make lovely bokeh and a 3d effect if you can isolate the subject. They are often a bit low contrast, but with modern software that isn't usually a problem. Downsides besides handling issues is they are often fringe-monsters -- purple on high-contrast edges, and green/magenta in the bokeh. (Again, modern software can help with this -- automatic chromatic aberration correction makes some of these old lenses actually sharper than they were when they were made because their optical deficiencies can be partly corrected later).
03-06-2018, 08:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HelenJo Quote
Rony ! You know this lens is HUGE right ? Nice find at any rate. I want to see it when you get it , Please.
Yes I do....... Ok....Will do. It should be here by Friday hopefully.

---------- Post added 03-06-18 at 09:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I have a fond affection for those old front aperture preset lenses with lots of aperture blades in general, although I haven't used that model. They have a different look than modern lenses, and they tend to make lovely bokeh and a 3d effect if you can isolate the subject. They are often a bit low contrast, but with modern software that isn't usually a problem. Downsides besides handling issues is they are often fringe-monsters -- purple on high-contrast edges, and green/magenta in the bokeh. (Again, modern software can help with this -- automatic chromatic aberration correction makes some of these old lenses actually sharper than they were when they were made because their optical deficiencies can be partly corrected later).
Oh yes. I'm quite prepared for the CA and possible Fringe issues. Most likely I wont be shooting in bright light , or backlit scenes with this one anyway. I'm excited to use this not only on aps-c , but also my FF K-1

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 03-06-2018 at 08:12 AM.
03-07-2018, 02:18 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hey

Nice find.

It looks like version 2 of the Takumar 300mm. Is that correct?

Regards
Baard-Einar
03-07-2018, 05:20 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Hey

Nice find.

It looks like version 2 of the Takumar 300mm. Is that correct?

Regards
Baard-Einar
Yes it is , however the review section says it has f22 and this one has f32 ? I'm really looking forward to giving it a workout.
There seems to be a lot of surface dust on it , just hope its all on the outside , and not migrating internally.