Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2018, 07:56 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Correct me if I'm wrong on lens choice

I'm looking for a wide angle general purpose "walk around" lens for my newly purchased K-70. I bought the 18-135 WR lens with the camera but want a wide angle lens that has a much lower profile (length). I've done a little research and my choice at this point is the Pentax DA 35mm 2.4.

I'm open to any other suggestions in both Pentax and non-Pentax lenses, as well as new and used lenses. I thought I'd post here before I make my purchase in case I'm missing something.

03-06-2018, 08:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The DA35 is a good choice.
If budget does not matter a lot I suggest to get a used FA43 ltd (my favorite) or the DA35 macro.
03-06-2018, 08:02 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikecnorthwest Quote
I'm looking for a wide angle general purpose "walk around" lens for my newly purchased K-70. I bought the 18-135 WR lens with the camera but want a wide angle lens that has a much lower profile (length). I've done a little research and my choice at this point is the Pentax DA 35mm 2.4.

I'm open to any other suggestions in both Pentax and non-Pentax lenses, as well as new and used lenses. I thought I'd post here before I make my purchase in case I'm missing something.
is your concern size, weight and wide angle

cost

rating

what ?

are you interested in APS-C only or wanting a lens that would work with a full frame as well

* or limited lenses

the more specific you can be, the better the response you might get

have you looked at the review of Pentax and 3rd Party zooms under " Lenses " above ?

some are just " user reviews "

SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

and others are " In Depth Reviews "

[url=https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-da-35mm-f24-al/introduction.html?src=lrdb]Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Revie[/urlt]

this tool under " lenses " might be helpful

Pentax Lens Search
This page allows you to search our genuine Pentax Lens Database and current third-party lenses based on specific criteria that you select. Links to user reviews, specifications, and in-depth reviews (if available) are included for each lens.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lenssearch/#ixzz58yvaSB8r

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-06-2018 at 08:11 AM.
03-06-2018, 08:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A 35 isn't a wide-angle on a crop camera. It's a normal FoV lens. You need something like the DA21 for wide-angle.

03-06-2018, 08:15 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
A 35 isn't a wide-angle on a crop camera. It's a normal FoV lens. You need something like the DA21 for wide-angle.
yes, the " crop factor " of the physically smaller sensor of the APS- C camera changes the " field of view " of the lens ( not the focal length )

so a lens with a focal length of 21 gives you a " wide angle " photo

with a field of view of a photo taken with a focal length of 28 if that lens is used on a full frame sensor camera

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-06-2018 at 08:25 AM.
03-06-2018, 08:17 AM   #6
Unregistered User

The SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL is really more of a normal lens. If you really want a wide angle, the Pentax-DA 21mm F3.2 Limited is wide-ish, while the SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited, is a true wide-angle. I've got the 15 and the 35, both are excellent lenses, both are relatively compact. The flare resistance of the 15 is unparalleled, an important consideration in a wide angle lens. The 35 is a fantastic value and lighter than the 15, although you would probably want to add a lens hood which would make it a little bulkier. Any one of those three would be an excellent choice.
03-06-2018, 08:24 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

back in the days of film cameras, if my memory serves me correctly

lens:

35mm and shorter was wide angle

40 - 50 ish were considered "Normal " and mimic the view of the human eye

60- 90 ish protrait

100 - ?? telephoto

now that formula does not work with the APS-C filter

if you don't mind a zoom and have the budget the DA 16 - 85mm is a very good lens

03-06-2018, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like what you are looking for is something like the DA 21, or if you want wider than the 18mm, look at the DA 15.
03-06-2018, 08:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

What field of view do you like on your 18-135? Is 18mm too wide? Not wide enough? That should be your guide.

As mentioned above, there are a couple DA Limiteds that will fit the bill nicely for a low profile wide angle lens, namely
the DA21 and DA15. Set your zoom to 18 and take some shots. If it doesn't feel wide enough, consider the DA15.
If it feels too wide, consider the DA21.
03-06-2018, 08:34 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm aware of the crop factor but I'm also fighting a constrained budget. For a point of reference, my favorite set up is my K1000 with a 28mm lens. The 28mm lens seems to work really well for the type of photography I enjoy and the places I like to go (railroads, outdoors, walking around downtown Portland).

I would love to find a good deal on a 15mm lens to account for the crop factor but I wasn't able to come up with anything in my price range ($150 or less). One option I'm open to is using my manual 28mm prime on the K-70 for now while I save or wait for a bargain on a DA lens.

---------- Post added 03-06-18 at 09:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
What field of view do you like on your 18-135? Is 18mm too wide? Not wide enough? That should be your guide.

As mentioned above, there are a couple DA Limiteds that will fit the bill nicely for a low profile wide angle lens, namely
the DA21 and DA15. Set your zoom to 18 and take some shots. If it doesn't feel wide enough, consider the DA15.
If it feels too wide, consider the DA21.
18 feels fine. I think I'd be happy with any of them between 15-21. My preliminary decision to go with the 35 prime was largely a concession on my part that I can't find anything in the 15-21 range that would fit my budget currently.
03-06-2018, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My vivitar (tokina) 17mm is one of the very few MF WA/UWA options that offers better iq than the kit lens o my K5. I would guess it's a bit better than the 18-135mm too, when I did some comparison pics against my sigma 18-125mm, neither impressed particularly right at the wide end of their zoom ranges. AF isn't really to be missed much at these sort of focal lengths, stop down a bit (and basically with UWA one always does) and the hyperfocal distance (at infinity focus) is only a few m away. Worth considering. Typically around $100-150, the tokina rmc versions tend to go for more than the vivitars. Alt: the tamron SP adaptall 17mm.
Apart from the size considerations, your 18-135mm has got you covered for 24mm/28mm... it's good at those focal lengths

Last edited by marcusBMG; 03-06-2018 at 03:27 PM.
03-06-2018, 08:57 AM   #12
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
While hardly wide, a 28mm would be a lot wider than 35 mm (FOV on FF equivalent of 42 mm vs 53 mm). A super/SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5 is inexpensive and excellent ( have/use a lot). Also there are other lower cost options: Pentax18-55 zoom although this is likely of lesser image quality; and older 24-50 mm non AF Pentax (e.g., SMC-M) are (at 24 mm) equivalent to FF 36 mm, which is historically considered wide. Also if you can score on one with the Pentax A adapter (or buy an adapter) the Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 24-48 mm is very good (I also have/use this lens).

Sorry I missed the bit about your having a 28mm non-AF lens. Yes use that first and see. As I recall it has a hyperfocal distance of 11 feet at f/11--so set on that anything in 6 ft to infinity will be reasonably sharp.

Last edited by dms; 03-06-2018 at 09:04 AM.
03-06-2018, 09:01 AM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
My vivitar (tokina) 17mm is one of the very few MF WA/UWA options that offers better iq than the kit lens o my K5. I would guess it's a bit better than the 18-135mm too, when I did some comparison pics against my sigma 18-125mm, neither impressed particularly right at the wide end of their zoom ranges. AF isn't really to be missed much at these sort of focal lengths, stop down a bit (and basically with UWA one always does) and the hyperfocal distance is only a few m away. Worth considering. Typically around $100-150.
Apart from the size considerations, your 18-135mm has got you covered for 24mm/28mm... it's good at those focal lengths
determine what you want,

keep checking the forum's market place

I have had very good luck with the sellers there

perhaps you will get lucky
03-06-2018, 09:11 AM   #14
Pentaxian

18 feels fine. I think I'd be happy with any of them between 15-21. My preliminary decision to go with the 35 prime was largely a concession on my part that I can't find anything in the 15-21 range that would fit my budget currently.
The 35 isn't a bad lens, but if not the focal length you need it's arguably a waste of your budget. Maybe hold onto your money, save more, and hopefully find a used DA 21 or DA 15. Deal with the larger size of the 18-135 for a while longer.

I own a DA 15 Limited. It's a great architecture and landscape lens. This lens has amazing flare resistance; you can include the sun or bright street lights in compositions that wouldn't work well with many other lenses. Some reviewers complain the lens isn't tack sharp but I've found that it's adequately sharp especially considering that most architectural and landscape shots can be stopped down to f/8.

I've never used the DA 21. Sample photos show it to be a good lens, but IMO it's not as special as the 15. 21mm is a good focal length for street photography with a crop sensor.

DA 15 Limited examples. Click for larger copies:

03-06-2018, 09:30 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As others have said 35mm is not wide at all on APS-C, and getting the DA 35mm for that purpose would be a waste. The 21mm Limited is closer to what you are looking for and available used in the $200-250 range. Other than that the 18-135 you already have or the 16-85 would cover that.

Another option but likely out of your budget is the DA 20-40 Limited