Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2018, 09:34 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikecnorthwest Quote
For a point of reference, my favorite set up is my K1000 with a 28mm lens. The 28mm lens seems to work really well for the type of photography I enjoy and the places I like to go (railroads, outdoors, walking around downtown Portland).
When I first joined Pentax Forums, the hottest topic was "what are my available choices on the wide end?" followed by "why are there no wide-angle APS-C primes?" followed by "I need a compact wide-angle solution". A close replacement for 18mm on 35mm film would be either an 18mm or 20mm prime. As a result, the FA, A, and M-series 20mm offerings became quite popular despite relative rarity on the market. Prices are still fairly high for those lenses.

Moving forward, current options in the 15mm to 20mm range are better now than at any point in the past. If I were in the market and wanted a high-value, high-performance, compact wide angle for APS-C, I would be saving up for an Irix 15/2.5. Alternatively, the Samyang products (under various labels) would also be on my short list along with the Venus, though bulk may be a problem, depending on lens. The DA 15/4 Limited and DA 21/3.2 Limited would also be considered (obviously), particularly if a used one pops up. Note that neither the Irix nor the Pentax DA offerings will work on your K1000.

Sadly, none of those options falls into the sub-$150 price range

At present, I shoot my Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 (C) for most of my wide-angle needs. Before I got that lens, my go-to wide angle was a MC Zenitar 15/2.8 Fisheye or the DA 18-55 kit lens. You might be interested in finding a Zenitar 15 since it will work quite nicely on the K1000 too. For many (most) natural subjects the fishiness on APS-C is hardly noticeable and is not objectionable on other subjects either. Here is a link to a sampling of my work with the Zen on both APS-C and 35mm film.

Fotostevia on Flickr: MC Zenitar 15/2.8

You may recognize a few of the locations.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-06-2018 at 09:48 AM.
03-06-2018, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The DA21 Limited is your lens, Mike.

It's practically a pancake.

Save up, I reckon - buy nice, not twice.
03-06-2018, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
back in the days of film cameras, if my memory serves me correctly

lens:

35mm and shorter was wide angle

40 - 50 ish were considered "Normal " and mimic the view of the human eye

60- 90 ish protrait

100 - ?? telephoto

now that formula does not work with the APS-C filter
Sure it does. 24mm and wider are wide angle. 28ish to 35ish are "Normal". 40-55ish portrait. 70 and up telephoto.
03-06-2018, 10:17 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Sure it does. 24mm and wider are wide angle. 28ish to 35ish are "Normal". 40-55ish portrait. 70 and up telephoto.
And the "an ultra wide is anything shorter than the short edge of the sensor" still works too! Makes UWA 24mm or below of FF and 15mm or below UWA for APS-C.

03-06-2018, 10:20 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of my favorite subjects. Here's some ideas;

DA 21 (21mm)
Sigma Super-Wide II AF (24mm)
FA*24 (24mm, not inexpensive, not small)
F or FA 28 (28mm)
DA 20-40 (20 to 40 mm) (not inexpensive, not small for what it is)

I don't really like the DA 35 for walk-around. I find it too narrow too often. Its out of focus rendering can be pretty busy if not outright distracting. It is tack sharp in the center wide open which is nice. It is light, small, and fast focusing, so it isn't without merits, but I'm not a big fan. I still use it now and then.
03-06-2018, 10:21 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

28 x .66 = 18 so your zoom qualifies versus the M28/2.8 on K1000. My suggestion is use that until you can find a second-hand SMC DA21 Limited in your price range (you might need $200).
03-06-2018, 10:30 AM   #22

I'm in total agreement with what most have posted 35mm "is not wide" on a crop body. If at all posable hold off on your purchase until you can afford something under a 30mm.
Try this test, put your 18-135 to 35mm and put a rubber band around it to keep it locked in to that focal length. If you can get the photos your looking for than 35mm may work for you. But if your constantly wanting a little bit more than you'll have the answer.
Good luck☺

03-06-2018, 10:41 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Get the DA 21mm. Compactsize with fantastic results.

Also, there is an entire thread devoted to it, so you can see if you like the results.
03-06-2018, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Sigma Superwide 24mm f2.8 hasn't been mentioned yet. It meets the budget and size requirements. Read the reviews to see its main flaw, flare resistance. You can use it on your K1000 too.

I cracked open my wallet recently to get a used DA 21mm f3.2 (SMC version) for ~$200. It's more than your budget but cheap for this lens. A lot of people skip this lens and jump right to the DA 15/4, which is fine. I didn't because my wide angle composition skills are not good enough. I think if the focal length is right for you, this lens is worth stretching the budget for.
03-06-2018, 11:27 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might consider the Sigma 10-20 zoom, it has had several versions and the earliest might come in your price range. Not a stellar performer like the DA15 but a pretty competent lens.
03-06-2018, 12:08 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The Sigma Superwide 24mm f2.8 hasn't been mentioned yet. It meets the budget and size requirements. Read the reviews to see its main flaw, flare resistance. You can use it on your K1000 too.
I have the AF version of that lens, and it can do the creative flare things pretty well, but it can also lose all contrast even when the sun is well out of frame. It’s definitely a you-get-what-you-pay-for lens.
03-06-2018, 12:15 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I recently purchased an 18-50 collapsible kit lens. I also own the DA 18-135. The 18-50 is very small - similar in size to the 28 f/2.8 or 50 f/2 manual focus lenses. I will send you a PM about it as I am willing to sell it.
03-06-2018, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The DA21 Limited is your lens, Mike.

It's practically a pancake.

Save up, I reckon - buy nice, not twice.
+1.

A used example should not be too far out of your budget.
03-06-2018, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like someone in the same position as me. I walked round with the kit lens set at various lengths and soon realised that 35mm was a nice middle ground. I have an SMC da 35mm and it is quick enough, light and a nice lens for urban shooting. The results may not be as nice as the da15 or da21 but I doubt I will ever be able to afford either. Another option may be a nice vintage lens. I have a Miranda 24mm f2.8 macro which is based on a cosina. You can get them for as little as £25. It is more labour intensive but it is also very satisfying. Find out what you want first. Do you really want a wide prime? Do you want to have sessions at a single focal length? Anything shorter than your 18-135mm is probably going to be limited use rather than everyday, also, any autofocus primes smaller than the 35mm are going to be fairly expensive. The DA 21mm is something you will only buy once but they are not cheap. Like photobill said, elastic band on your lens and try focal lengths. If you fancy a specific focal length, think about a manual lens, they are way cheaper and often delightful. finally One thing you absolutely must do before buying a lens, check the reviews on here, then you have an idea what you are getting and, enjoy ............... and trust the guys on here (but not necessarily me lol), if they say a lens is really good, then it really is and if they say it is worth saving up for, consider it. They have never led me astray
03-06-2018, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #30
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Get the DA 21mm. Compactsize with fantastic results.

Also, there is an entire thread devoted to it, so you can see if you like the results.
it and the other limiteds are nice

( understatement of the week ? )

the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why - PentaxForums.com

---------- Post added 03-06-18 at 13:38 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
. . . One thing you absolutely must do before buying a lens, check the reviews on here, then you have an idea what you are getting and, enjoy ............... and trust the guys on here (but not necessarily me lol), if they say a lens is really good, then it really is and if they say it is worth saving up for, consider it. They have never led me astray
interesting " In Depth Review " review of three DA lenses

Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 vs 40mm XS vs 40mm Limited Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

" experienced " examples could be within budget