03-06-2018, 12:42 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
it and the other limiteds are nice

( understatement of the week ? )

the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why - PentaxForums.com
It gets my vote. It’s like saying Ferraris are fairly swift I am off to dream of da*s and limiteds ***contented sigh***

03-06-2018, 12:44 PM   #32
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
It gets my vote. It’s like saying Ferraris are fairly swift I am off to dream of da*s and limiteds ***contented sigh***
sweet dreams

Pentax * lenses do they live up to the reputation and why - PentaxForums.com
03-06-2018, 01:31 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikecnorthwest Quote
I'm looking for a wide angle general purpose "walk around" lens for my newly purchased K-70. I bought the 18-135 WR lens with the camera but want a wide angle lens that has a much lower profile (length). I've done a little research and my choice at this point is the Pentax DA 35mm 2.4.

I'm open to any other suggestions in both Pentax and non-Pentax lenses, as well as new and used lenses. I thought I'd post here before I make my purchase in case I'm missing something.
I already posted about this but since the 18-135 is wide enough (per your comments) and what you want is smaller the 18-50 seems perfect. A prime wide angle will be better but I have never seen a DA 21 in the budget even used. (Budget is $150 and under I think if I recall.) The DA 20-40 is a lovely lens (which I own as well) but it too is well out of your price range. The DA 18-55 WR or DAL WR version is another choice - but while cheap it isn't that much smaller and it is noisy.

SMC Pentax-DA L 18-50mm F4-5.6 DC WR RE Reviews - DA L Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/smc-pentax-da-l-18-55mm-f3.5-5.6-al-wr.html
03-06-2018, 01:41 PM   #34
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I already posted about this but since the 18-135 is wide enough (per your comments) and what you want is smaller the 18-50 seems perfect. A prime wide angle will be better but I have never seen a DA 21 in the budget even used. (Budget is $150 and under I think if I recall.) . . .

true enough

one can hope and look though

03-06-2018, 02:23 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I will add to the chorus of those suggesting a used SMC DA 21 Limited (not HD). Colors are great and you can't beat the compactness. Some complain of field curvature, and that was certainly present in mine; I found it impossible to get the edges sharp enough at infinity for my liking. But it was a small price to pay and may not be relevant depending on what you shoot.

The comments about lacking cheap APS-C wide angle primes made me wonder: the DA 21 isn't wonderfully cheap at $425 new, but do other systems do any better in this regard? (First-party AF lenses only, for sake of comparison.)

Canon: EF-S 24/2.8 at $150, EF-M 22/2 at $250, and everything else is FF and costs $500+
Nikon: Nothing!*
Sony Alpha: Nothing!
Micro Four Thirds: Olympus 17/2.8 at $300, Panasonic 14/2.5 at $270
Sony E: 16/2.8 at $225, 20/2.8 at $325
Fujifilm: Nothing under $450

So in other words, we're in decent company. Interestingly, Nikon and Sony DSLR/Ts both have fast normal dedicated APS-C lenses but no dedicated APS-C wide-angle primes, while Canon is the other way around.

* The 24/2.8D and 28/2.8D come in under $400, but they're old tech and not even listed on Nikon's page anymore (besides being FF)
03-06-2018, 02:43 PM   #36
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scintilla Quote
I will add to the chorus of those suggesting a used SMC DA 21 Limited (not HD). . . .

HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes
Introduction

At Photokina 2012, Pentax announced a brand new lens coating which they named the "HD Coating". This coating is slowly starting to replace the conventional "Super Multi Coating" (SMC) on high-end Pentax glass.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/hd-pentax-limited-primes/introduction.html#ixzz590XL8qDT
03-06-2018, 03:00 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I should have clarified: I'm not against the HD coating on principle. But the HD re-release of the DA Limiteds also curved the aperture blades, with the result that the sunbursts of the 15/4 and 21/3.2 have been nerfed. Shots like this or this, taken with the SMC DA 21, wouldn't have looked as cool with the HD version.

03-06-2018, 03:04 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If it were me, I’d hunt for something really inexpensive like the Miranda 24mm mentioned above (I have one...). Put a hood on it and it’s a fun street lens. It should also work a treat on your K1000.

The same is true about the Zenitar 16mm fisheye. It isn’t too fishy on APS, but it is completely manual, so even more hassle. But then you have a compact fisheye for the K1000...

If you want to stay modern, I’d suggest the DA21. It is a tiny little thing, but out of budget, even used.

With the scarcity of full frame compatible ultra-wides, all the K1 folks are snapping up the old lenses so their prices have gone silly.

-Eric
03-06-2018, 03:19 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
If it were me, I’d hunt for something really inexpensive like the Miranda 24mm mentioned above (I have one...). Put a hood on it and it’s a fun street lens. It should also work a treat on your K1000.

The same is true about the Zenitar 16mm fisheye. It isn’t too fishy on APS, but it is completely manual, so even more hassle. But then you have a compact fisheye for the K1000...

If you want to stay modern, I’d suggest the DA21. It is a tiny little thing, but out of budget, even used.

With the scarcity of full frame compatible ultra-wides, all the K1 folks are snapping up the old lenses so their prices have gone silly.

-Eric
Yaaaaay, someone else with the Miranda (I love it). One nice thing about manual lenses is the fact that in manual mode the camera automates most of it. You set your aperture, when it is in focus you get the beep, which is pretty accurate, then press the green button and it sets the correct shutter speed for perfect exposure. It’s one of those moments that really makes you smile. I have manual 24mm, (£40) 50mm (£20) and 135mm (£35) and am receiving therapy for my LBA
03-06-2018, 03:19 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scintilla Quote
The comments about lacking cheap APS-C wide angle primes made me wonder: the DA 21 isn't wonderfully cheap at $425 new, but do other systems do any better in this regard? (First-party AF lenses only, for sake of comparison.)

Micro Four Thirds: Olympus 17/2.8 at $300, Panasonic 14/2.5 at $270
The Olympus 17mm 2.8 was discontinued I thought. The lens is readily available used but not new. The 17mm f/1.8 is the current lens and more expensive.
03-06-2018, 07:09 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The DA21 Limited is your lens, Mike.

It's practically a pancake.

Save up, I reckon - buy nice, not twice.
I'm really liking this lens. Thanks to everyone who has mentioned it. I'm really glad I posted this question to the group as you've all given me some more options to consider.