Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
03-07-2018, 07:59 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
The Caltrans website should be helpful in planning your route down the PCH - sections at this point closed for landslide removal. Current Conditions
Hmm, that closure at Ragged Point is unfortunate. Coming south after Julia Pfeiffer Burns beach will require a tedious, though possibly scenic, twisty back road detour toward Lockwood, then Paso Robles, then back to the coast via Hwy 46. Hearst castle will be about 20 miles north at that point, but not bad. Paso Robles is a "big" city and would be a good place to stay overnight.

Even though you are going to Yosemite from San Francisco, I would still return to SF to start the trip south along the coast as the SF-Hearst Castle is arguably the most photogenic section. Otherwise you could make your way to Santa Cruz, then south.

Last edited by SpecialK; 03-07-2018 at 08:23 AM.
03-07-2018, 10:50 AM   #32
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
Doesn't the 12-24 vignette on FF? . . .

perhaps this will help with determining which lenses does what with full frame

Pentax K-1 Review - Available Lenses | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Pentax K-1 Lens Compatibility Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread - PentaxForums.com
03-07-2018, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #33

Original Poster
Great replies!

Thanks so much guys for all he gear suggestions and location tips!! It's clear from your photographs that there is a world of opportunity for photography on this trip!

It's interesting that several people recommended not to hire a convertible so I might need to rethink plans on that although there is no doubt it will make the trip more enjoyable I think if the weather is warm enough.

I will digest suggestions and go from there - defo want to checkout the BBQ grill recommended too!

A thousand thanks and one final question - there seem to have been a spate of photographer muggings in SF in recent months - should I be overly worried about shooting after dark (the bridge/skyline etc)? Just how safe am I wandering around with a ruckack and a tripod full of camera gear? I'm obviously not going to go anywhere obviously dodgy.

A thousand thanks for all the help so far.

One of the things we Brits love about the USA is the friendliness we experience from Americans - it's always a pleasure to go there.

Take care guys and thanks,

Jonlg
03-07-2018, 02:36 PM   #34
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jonlg Quote
. . . A thousand thanks and one final question - there seem to have been a spate of photographer muggings in SF in recent months - should I be overly worried about shooting after dark (the bridge/skyline etc)? Just how safe am I wandering around with a ruckack and a tripod full of camera gear? I'm obviously not going to go anywhere obviously dodgy. . . . Jonlg

I can't answer your question about safety issues but

remember

camera gear can be replaced

don't be a hero

give it up quickly and without a struggle

03-07-2018, 03:18 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you stay in the more touristy areas of SF with people around, you should be fine.

I wouldn't count on the weather being that warm in March on the central california coast. Could be nice and sunny, but equally could be cool and cloudy, or even rainy. If it were me, I wouldn't think it would be worth the extra $$ for a convertible. Summer in LA, that would be different.
03-07-2018, 08:17 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
@jonlg
Don't forget "the Flower Fields" in Carlsbad between Los Angeles and San Diego. Should be right in the season. $16 or so.

03-08-2018, 12:32 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Thanks so much guys for all he gear suggestions and location tips!! It's clear from your photographs that there is a world of opportunity for photography on this trip!

It's interesting that several people recommended not to hire a convertible so I might need to rethink plans on that although there is no doubt it will make the trip more enjoyable I think if the weather is warm enough.

I will digest suggestions and go from there - defo want to checkout the BBQ grill recommended too!

A thousand thanks and one final question - there seem to have been a spate of photographer muggings in SF in recent months - should I be overly worried about shooting after dark (the bridge/skyline etc)? Just how safe am I wandering around with a ruckack and a tripod full of camera gear? I'm obviously not going to go anywhere obviously dodgy.

One of the things we Brits love about the USA is the friendliness we experience from Americans - it's always a pleasure to go there.

Jonlg

That bbq place is good, also you have to get a crab sandwich in a sourdough roll when visiting san francisco.

I would say as far as the muggings go, just be cautious and keep an eye on your surroundings. Taking a picture of the bridge and the skyline at night should be ok though. The convertable should be ok, also pretty hard to break in with the top down, just i recomend that anything of value i would leave in the trunk, pretty much reducing the chances of a break in.

Weather has been weird lately, its been warm one day, cold the next. And off and on again showers from one week to the next. when you are here and go up to yosemite, keep in mind that there will be a mix of rain, snow, sunshine and everywhere in between. So drive carefully, and watch out for ice/black ice. Even looking at the weather report in a couple weeks from now, we are suppose to get more rain, so also be careful when driving around san francisco, people treat rain as though armageddon is here, and the driving gets even worse especially with the quick merges we have from different freeways.

03-08-2018, 04:13 AM   #38
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

easy to get info about National Parks including weather and conditions

at Yosemite NP or any other NP

Current Conditions - Yosemite National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

lots of info on the web

and plenty of weather companies to choose from

have fun
03-14-2018, 12:03 PM   #39

I live in Oakland, and love the drive down the California Coast. Make sure to stop at Point Lobos near Carmel for the "greatest meeting of land and water" in the world. It's about 3 hours south of SF, a bit more depending on traffic through San Jose. You can also kayak with otters and sea lions a bit north of there in Elkhorn Slough (a great use of that Pentax WR), or see elephant seals at Piedras Blancas just north of San Simeon, where Hearst Castle is. They may have left after mating by now, there's only a few on the SealCam, but it's definitely Gray Whale season.

It's actually raining this week so you may not want a convertible, especially if you go to Yosemite where it will be snowing and quite a bit colder. You may want something on the wider end if you stand right under El Capitan, but most of the magnificent shots (eg, Tunnel View) are available at 24. And the water means the falls will be even more spectacular, they can dry up a bit by the end of the summer.

You can see the impact of the road closure with CalTrans QuickMap, so for a lot of Big Sur you'll need to backtrack. But that's ok, it means you get a whole different view on the way north.

Have fun!
03-14-2018, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I live in the Bay Area as well, and I agree with jlev about Pt Lobos. I think it's the prettiest part of Big Sur, even though it isn't really Big Sur. Most folks find the stuff at the northern end a bit more scenic, so since you have to do a down-and-back you might take Pt Lobos and more time there into consideration.

Going to Yosemite I assume you'll be using 140, the lowest road. If it snows in the Valley, they might require chains. Some auto rental places forbid them though. So keep an eye out on the weather.

If you like driving, and have time, the Nacimiento Fergusson Road east from Hwy 1 is a hoot, some great views before you crest out. Narrow one lane road with idiot drivers and hence very slow (like 25MPH) in parts, but scenic. An interesting Mission on the other side in the military base you go through, and some classic CA grassland oak terrain. Yet another chunk of CA that Mr Hearst owned. If you wanna see redwoods, and not go all the way to Big Sur, try Big Basin. And BTW, if you're in the redwoods there or in Muir Woods you'll need a tripod. It's way darker in there than you think.

Keep everything in the trunk (boot). LOTS of breakins in and around SF. Since traffic's awful, you might wanna consider leaving the vehicle at your lodgings and using public stuff; ferry rides are great fun and scenic. A trip on one over to Angel Island and then hiking and using the tram can get you some unique views. Use 511.org, and they have an app too.
05-06-2018, 12:48 AM - 2 Likes   #41
Veteran Member

OK guys and gals,

We're taking a trip fo a lifetime down the Pacific coast highway during the last two weeks in March. Booked an open top Mustang, planning to do 3 days in SFO and then gradually make our way to San Diego with a 2-3 day detour into Yosemite.

I'm a Brit and will be shooting with the K1. Lenses I have include:

Samyang 8mm fisheye
Pentax 12-24mm f4.0 (Usable at 17/18-24mm on K1 FF)
Pentax 24-70mm D-FA 2.8
Pentax 77mm Limited
Pentax 100mm Macro
Tamron 80-200mm f2.8
Tokina 80-400mm f4.5-5.6

Current plan is to take the:
Pentax 12-24mm, 24-70mm

Not sure whether to take the:
8mm fisheye or the 70-200mm f2.8 Tamron.

Finally the lens I really want is the Pentax 15-30mm F2.8 but given the cost of the holiday I'm hoping I can manage with the 12-24mm f4.0. Any thoughts on whether it really is worth the £1450 extra cost for the extra 2-3mm at the wide end??? Will I really lose much especially in Yosemite by not having it?? I'm aware that this might be the only time I ever get to go there so I'd really like to make the most of it.

Would a fisheye be very useful?

I do sometimes shoot panoramas quite successfully and merge in Lightroom

Grateful for any advice from those who've shot these areas - golden gate bridge, Marin county, Yosemite, coastal highway etc.

Kind regards,

Jonlg

So how did your trip turn out?

05-06-2018, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
So how did your trip turn out?
Did he by any chance check into Hotel California!

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 05-06-2018 at 04:16 PM.
05-06-2018, 04:06 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jonlg
G'day.....can't encourage you enough to do the Sequoia's as suggested earlier ....its pretty much on your way and is a MUST see imho. As for lenses.....wide, wide wide, you will reach for that all the time, the 80-200 will come out occasionally for wildlife, but it is a tad short.
Enjoy.
05-06-2018, 06:46 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Did he by any chance check into Hotel California!
Hotel California (Live at The Los Angeles Forum, 10/20-22/76) - YouTube
Id say So... Either that or he really loves this Place and is hiding so he doesn't have to go back