Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2018, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Very interesting! Nice depth of field being 25mm.
False. Depth of field is proportional to magnification (and also to aperture value and confusion circle diameter).
So at i.e. 1:1 and F/8, a 25mm, a 100mm or even a 200mm will provide the same depth of field (but not the same bokeh, the latter one will be the smoothest).
This kind of mistake is very common, I don't know why.

Well, there are many ways to get 5:1 magnification (macro lens and bellows/extension tube/helicoid tube, macro lens and close-up, microscope lens and so on) but this lens has an advantage: it goes from 2.5:1 to 5:1. Using a bellows or helicoid tube, it is possible to do the same (but not versatile) but if you use close-up or extension tube I wish you good luck...

03-13-2018, 07:21 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tryphon4 Quote
False. Depth of field is proportional to magnification (and also to aperture value and confusion circle diameter).
So at i.e. 1:1 and F/8, a 25mm, a 100mm or even a 200mm will provide the same depth of field (but not the same bokeh, the latter one will be the smoothest).
This kind of mistake is very common, I don't know why. Well, there are many ways to get 5:1 magnification (macro lens and bellows/extension tube/helicoid tube, macro lens and close-up, microscope lens and so on) but this lens has an advantage: it goes from 2.5:1 to 5:1. Using a bellows or helicoid tube, it is possible to do the same (but not versatile) but if you use close-up or extension tube I wish you good luck...
Yes, absolutely. Everyone's always looking for that magic bullet to gain depth of field in macro closeups. How many times have you been asked whether you get more depth of field from extension tubes or close up attachments ... or if proper macro lenses have more depth?

Of course, I guess image stacking starts to look like that magic bullet after all.
11-21-2018, 05:32 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
Another pitfall macro enthusiasts encounter with magnification greater than 1:1, is that a lot of the creativity of photography goes out the window.

A lot of the, composition, beauty and artistry you look for in the world of the very small is overridden by issues with focus, depth of field, camera shake, and how to light your tiny subject with that hulking camera and lens in the way.

Essentially you've turned your camera into a microscope - and artistic efforts become more scientific. Which is great if that's what you are after. But I think a lot of photographers find the fun they had with their macro lens fades away after they go beyond 1:1.
Excellent points here Ontarian50. Isn't this true of mastering any of the very difficult techniques or learning to use extremes of focal length, short or long? If one is not careful it is very easy to get trapped into making boring, unimaginative, and simple record shots loudly announcing a person's latest gear acquisition instead of showing any artistry.
Anybody else remember the the proliferation of fisheye and other super-wide angle shots when those lenses became somewhat cheaper and widely available? Certain darkroom techniques like posterization were overused for a while and then there was the colour infra-red film fad too.