Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: If an inexpensive adapter were availible eliminating Aluminum Foil , would you buy ?
I Dont care / Irrelevant to me 1647.06%
Continue using Aluminum foil or tape on my Takumars 1029.41%
Buy a inexpensive $25 adapter for my Takumars if Availible 617.65%
I use a different method shooting Takumar Lenses 514.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
03-08-2018, 06:15 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
You are "listening" for it to move the aperture lever in a K-mount lens and stop the thing down, but on a m42 it doesn't do anything because there is no aperture lever and you need to stop it down yourself before you hit the green button so you'll get the right reading for that aperture. So -- completely silent, nothing is moving. (A K-mount stays wide-open until you hit the button, and then stops it down for a second to take the reading. That's the whole reason you need the button since they refuse to read it mechanically like on the old film bodies.)

---------- Post added 03-08-18 at 08:13 PM ----------

I guess if you have a lens that shorts the contacts or you trick it with foil, you might hear the attempt to move the aperture lever even though it doesn't actually do anything. I don't think any of my m42s are conductive unless I made them so with foil tape -- the only time I've done that is if I wanted to use them with the AFA 1.7x adapter, which does require shorted contacts to get the auto-focus going.
Yuuuup ! Your Right ! I feel so foolish that Ive done this for all these years....You have NO idea just "how" foolish......lol
And Ive gone and spent at least $75 bucks on a rather unique "idea" to sell a machined adapter that shorted the contacts on my Tak's.......lol.

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 03-08-2018 at 06:37 PM.
03-08-2018, 06:17 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
Yuuuup ! Your Right ! I feel so foolish that Ive done this for all these years....You have NO idea just "how" foolish......lol
You feel foolish, but your life is slightly better than it was 30 minutes ago. So you got that going for you...
03-08-2018, 06:25 PM   #18
Forum Member

Oh No Rony ! I told you that the contacts didnt need to be shorted on a Takumar this way. At least you learned something.
Remember our discussion on the K-30 about this very thing ? Thats where you developed this idea if Im correct ?
03-08-2018, 06:29 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HelenJo Quote
Oh No Rony ! I told you that the contacts didnt need to be shorted on a Takumar this way. At least you learned something.
Remember our discussion on the K-30 about this very thing ? Thats where you developed this idea if Im correct ?
Just another example of a man not listening to a woman until a guy tells him the same thing. And on International Women's Day too! So many lessons you're learning today!

03-08-2018, 06:31 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HelenJo Quote
Yes Miss Helen it was......Just when I think that I have something significant to contribute also.....lol

---------- Post added 03-08-18 at 07:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Just another example of a man not listening to a woman until a guy tells him the same thing. And on International Women's Day too! So many lessons you're learning today!
Oh Geeeze......I'm "Toast" now......lol.
Maybe I will just go drink a Beer and head to.....well.........somewhere ......that's secluded and quiet.

---------- Post added 03-08-18 at 07:39 PM ----------

I will just leave this Thread and Poll.....as an example of a Man making an Arse out of himself.....lol

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 03-08-2018 at 06:43 PM.
03-08-2018, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

I've been using adapted lenses for years with a k10, k50, & kp. For me it's worked fine, m42, k mount, and even with plastic mounts like holga lenses.

I've never heard of this trick with the foil.
03-08-2018, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
I've been using adapted lenses for years with a k10, k50, & kp. For me it's worked fine, m42, k mount, and even with plastic mounts like holga lenses.

I've never heard of this trick with the foil.
I may be mistaken .....yet Again...... however I believe it was a K-30 problem with Tak's that started it all.

03-08-2018, 07:06 PM - 3 Likes   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
I wouldn't give it a second thought. You're just helping all us other nuts out there realize we're not alone!
03-08-2018, 09:19 PM - 1 Like   #24

FYI the aperture actuator moves on my K10D when pressing the green button in M mode with M42 lenses and even with no lens mounted at all.

Shorting the contacts, or more specifically the "data" pin, is an issue when using non-"A" K-mount lenses or extension tubes with non-conductive lens mounts. If the lens or tubes lack a lever then it is not an issue.

Shorting the contacts may be needed in order to use catch-in-focus on some bodies. I think the jury is still out on this one.
03-08-2018, 09:45 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use it all on my hat. They're coming, you know...
03-09-2018, 07:44 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
*shrugs* Sorta related - but the "we aren't going to support M lenses" kick in the teeth is the reason I was never interested in the K-1.
03-09-2018, 08:31 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
*shrugs* Sorta related - but the "we aren't going to support M lenses" kick in the teeth is the reason I was never interested in the K-1.
Don't give up on the K-1 or others over the M series. I find I get pretty good results with my old M glass and using the green button in manual mode. I also have to admit that once the K-1 bug bites, you'll probably be after different glass anyway.
03-09-2018, 09:16 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
I haven’t heard this one. Can you link me? My manual lenses seem fine on K-1.
03-09-2018, 11:48 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I haven’t heard this one. Can you link me? My manual lenses seem fine on K-1.
It's the old Eeyores™ complaint of not uncrippling the K-mount on the K-1. Too lazy to use the green button or EV "needle-match" metering.
03-09-2018, 01:16 PM   #30
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
It's the old Eeyores™ complaint of not uncrippling the K-mount on the K-1. Too lazy to use the green button or EV "needle-match" metering.
so, the same procedure for metering on the K-3, works on the K-1...

gosh, that's difficult....