Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2018, 02:45 PM   #16
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lens tester Quote
When buying Pentax K, M and A lenses, I took into account the grades included in this forum.
Unfortunately, in some cases they are very different from those which I obtained by testing the lenses.
User reviews and ratings on any website are highly subjective, and influenced by a number of factors - user experience, ability, expectation, use case, other lenses owned, price paid, copy variation etc.

Even dedicated review sites will often show considerably divergent results because of different test methodologies, criteria, priorities and test equipment.

The best you can do is to read as much as possible on a particular lens and then decide if it's worth trying out for yourself. Typically, I look at three different review websites that I rate reasonably highly, then I read the user reviews here and on other forums. That's normally a good cross-section of information to help me make my choice.

03-10-2018, 03:24 PM   #17
Veteran Member

How many times have we heard on this Forum ?...."Lens Reviews Are Subjective" !
And the bottom line is.....Yes they are !
Take most reviews with little more than a grain of salt.

If 2 people review a inexpensive lens and give it a 10 , and a 9 , that makes it a 9.5 rated lens !
I largely ignore their review.

However if 50 people review a lens ? That gives a much better idea how well it performs.
I believe the rating somewhat.

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 03-10-2018 at 03:33 PM.
03-10-2018, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Numeric user reviews are generally (almost always?) inflated by either inexperience or else a perspective that "I don't buy junk, so it must be good". Here are a few considerations/notes regarding reviews on this site:
  • The numeric scores often reflect a "its the best lens I have" when it is the only lens they have
  • There is some uncertainty about subscores, particularly "aberrations"
  • Look for reviews that discuss the lens in detail in the discussion and which discuss both pros and cons
  • Be suspicious of reviews by users with low post counts and or who flood the site with multiple reviews immediately after registering. Often this is accompanied by auction or marketplace offerings of the items reviewed.
  • My personal practice is to read the comments and ignore the scores
  • My personal practice when writing reviews:
    • Reserve total scores above 8 for truly exceptional lenses
    • Reserve sub-scores above 8 for where the lens truly stands out in that regard
    • Include a detailed description including build quality
    • Include pros
    • Include cons
    • Include pertinent comments on field experience (handling, ease of use, optical quirks)
I hope this helps. BTW, I noticed you posted 11 reviews today, all of which are fairly terse.

Edit: Terse is OK, though
BTW...Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-10-2018 at 07:22 PM.
03-10-2018, 05:10 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot:
BTW, I noticed you posted 11 reviews today, all of which are fairly terse.
Which are now gone? Don't see any from this user.

As far as the reviews, you can't "unsee" the numbers of course, but I just read them and pay attention to the ones that sound like they were written by someone who thinks like I do. So many are obviously off-base, or just or praising or criticizing things I don't care about. For modern lenses, there are also other sources where you can look up resolution testing data, etc.

03-10-2018, 05:13 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Which are now gone? Don't see any from this user.
Lens tester's Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

(...not my usual practice, I was just curious...)

Steve
03-10-2018, 05:20 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Lens tester's Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

(...not my usual practice, I was just curious...)
But how do you find that? If I go to your profile, there is a "latest reviews" tab and I can see your reviews. But not on his profile -- no reviews. If I search in the reviews for lens tester, no results. Maybe that db is only updated once a day or something?
03-10-2018, 11:11 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum Lens Tester !
I just read your review's in the lens section , and see that you Don't recommend the SMC 50 1.4 ? Also see you do not recommend the SMC 135 3.5 either ?
Those are two quite reputable lenses , yet they didn't pass your "test" ?
Could you disclose your lens testing methods , and possibly post a few supporting images ? Cheers !

---------- Post added 03-11-18 at 12:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
But how do you find that? If I go to your profile, there is a "latest reviews" tab and I can see your reviews. But not on his profile -- no reviews. If I search in the reviews for lens tester, no results. Maybe that db is only updated once a day or something?
Go to the Lens review section , all the latest reviews are there on the right of the main page. I'm sure you will find the latest reviews quite enlightening.

03-10-2018, 11:29 PM - 1 Like   #23

Photos: Gallery
In my opinion the number of reviews is the most important thing in the review reliability. The more reviewers the more reliable overall result is. It is because of differences between particular reviewers. Differences within expectation, experience etc. For example some Prinzflex lens has 3 reviews and scores 9.3 points-that is not review I would belive in. On the other hand if SMC Pentax A 50 f1.7 scores 8.99 on the basis of 125 reviews, the score it is reliable for me. It is due to statistics-the bigger sample the more accurate results. No matter how different the samples are.
03-10-2018, 11:35 PM   #24
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by nobody Quote
In my opinion the number of reviews is the most important thing in the review reliability. The more reviewers the more reliable overall result is. It is because of differences between particular reviewers. Differences within expectation, experience etc. For example some Prinzflex lens has 3 reviews and scores 9.3 points-that is not review I would belive in. On the other hand if SMC Pentax A 50 f1.7 scores 8.99 on the basis of 125 reviews, the score it is reliable for me. It is due to statistics-the bigger sample the more accurate results. No matter how different the samples are.
Excellent points, because whether the reviews are " good " or " bad," they become a part of the average, and ALL opinions valid with regards to reviews.
03-10-2018, 11:47 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Take five off the average rating. Make that a score out of five. That will get you closer to reality.

But as others have said, it's still subjective. Read all the reviews and ignore the best and the worst. Then take off five and make it out of five
03-10-2018, 11:48 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Excellent points, because whether the reviews are " good " or " bad," they become a part of the average, and ALL opinions valid with regards to reviews.
Exactly.
03-11-2018, 12:07 AM - 1 Like   #27
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by nobody Quote
Exactly.
And mocking a review ( or getting others to do it ) because it is not agreed with it, is not the function of the review section. Proving results is not a part of the reviewing process either. Opinions of lenses do not have to be justified - or agreed with. If somebody feels that the " reviewer " is not qualified to make the review, then so be it, and disregard the review. BUT, to be disrespectful to the reviewer because you disagree with them is not in the spirit of the forums IMO. There is enough room here for ALL opinions.

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 03-11-2018 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Typo
03-11-2018, 01:33 AM   #28
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

if you want a true review of a lens - one you will agree to every time - and you live in the US -

spend the cash and rent it if possible

if you can't rent the lens, I hope you can find a review from a photographer who has posted photos here at the forum that you have liked

good luck
03-11-2018, 02:05 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Any "rating" is a "judgement". It is done by a biased single person with opinions about everything. So the rating is purely subjective as well.
Objectivity is simply a myth.
That is why I want people to show me full res images made by the lens. I want to have a look myself. And I always suggest people do the same.

The older guys here will remember the "review" fun with "reviewers" making a big story about the existence of a dedicated video button on cameras. Boy, was I missing the pink camera body color as absolutely essential must have feature.
03-11-2018, 02:35 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Reviews are tough when they are crowd sourced. Steve got it right in his post.

No one gives scores of less than six or seven so essentially (as Sandy says) it turns into a five point scale -- even though ten points are possible. People compare it to their existing lenses. My first "good" lens was an FA 50 f1.4 prime -- way better than my FA-J 28-80 variable aperture zoom and so when I did a review on it, I said it was awesome. I review lenses harder now because I have used more lenses.

People also subconsciously include the price in the equation. If you bought a lens for a thousand dollars, you tend to review it harder than if you got it for a couple hundred or it was twenty-five dollars at a thrift store.

To me, the best part of a review is the narrative -- particularly if it includes photos illustrating the reviewers points. The narrative is the only way to tell whether a reviewer's shooting style mirrors yours and what they really think the strengths and weaknesses of a lens truly are.