Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2018, 04:01 PM   #16
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
I'm toying with the idea of a 300mm f4 lens for my K-1 but since the only available Pentax K mount lens is a DA (not FF), I'm wondering what experience you folks out there have had using the Pentax Takumar 300mm f4 (medium format) with an lens adapter? I don't mind shooting manual and if the IQ of this lens is acceptable, it can be had for about $120US. If that sound's feasible, what adapter is required to mount this to the K-1? Any input is appreciated.
BTW, wouldn't the adapter cost nearly as much as the lens? Kipon Pentax 645 Lens to Pentax/K Camera Lens Adapter KP-LA-PXK-PX645

03-12-2018, 01:33 AM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Many thanks folks.

With that, I'll lean the DA direction if I decide on getting a 300mm. I know the Pentax 300mm DA is probably one of the best out there from reviews here and since it is FF, that pretty much settles it for me. . . . .
I can personally testify as to how well built and tough the SMC Pentax-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM is

my copy just survived the failure of my carry system without permanent damage to it other than some minor scratches to the lens itself

I have another boo boo, WARNING and seeking help - Page 5 - PentaxForums.com

it fell from roughly hip high onto a cement side walk, the hood, which took the majority of the force of the impact, was forced back along the barrel of the lens.

the lens itself, suffered cosmetically very little but the hood has significant enough damage: the fragments which broke off prevents it from locking securely into place

major lesson learned is not only to devise a " safety system "

BUT

use the safety system at all times

I have now adjusted my safety system so that it is automatically in use anytime I pick up the sling and attached camera body:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/362093-...ml#post4227322

what ever lens you decide to try to purchase, should you become interested in an " experienced " one, I urge you to be sure to check the forum's market place. I have had nothing but good luck in dealing with members of the forum when I used it to purchase " experienced " equipment

no guaranty of course but I wish you similar luck if you chose that option

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-12-2018 at 02:53 AM.
03-14-2018, 06:25 AM - 3 Likes   #18
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
300mm f4 lens for K-1
Have you considered my “Duchess” (Pentax-A* 300mm F4.0), always worked away well for me.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
03-14-2018, 06:46 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I guess my first stab at this was to get a 300mm f4 prime lens on the cheap. I'm still on the fence so to speak (was leaning toward the DA) because a couple of days back, one of our forum members posted a 3D printing file for a 67 to K adapter. I just purchased a new 3D printer and have been itching to try it out so this might be the perfect opportunity along with a $100 6x7 lens (Takumar) from the used market.

I'll have to see how this plays out but if I develop any affinity for a 300mm f4, eventually I'll end up with the DA because of the glowing reports on its IQ which I doubt any older lens + adapter can match (not to mention full auto operation and other niceties).

Oh, and the "Duchess" does very well - those are great photos. I wouldn't hesitate to consider a lens like that if only I had the talent to go with it.

03-14-2018, 07:54 AM   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
yes the talent of the photographer does play a part

my errors in photography are always a result of " operator error "
03-14-2018, 01:34 PM   #21
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Oh, and the "Duchess" does very well - those are great photos.
Thank you, the purpose of these was to give you some idea what the lens can achieve.

if only I had the talent to go with it
Get a camera, stick a lens on it and the rest is as the famous quote states... “F8 and be there” attributed to Weegee (actually Arthur Fellig) who was a famous street photographer.