Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2018, 09:47 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
300mm f4 lens for K-1

I'm toying with the idea of a 300mm f4 lens for my K-1 but since the only available Pentax K mount lens is a DA (not FF), I'm wondering what experience you folks out there have had using the Pentax Takumar 300mm f4 (medium format) with an lens adapter? I don't mind shooting manual and if the IQ of this lens is acceptable, it can be had for about $120US. If that sound's feasible, what adapter is required to mount this to the K-1? Any input is appreciated.

03-10-2018, 10:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It seems that despite being labeled "DA" the 300 covers the FF image circe. If you want a MF lens, there are other options out there, all in K Mount. I have the k 300 and it's a sharp lens but suffers from CA.
03-10-2018, 10:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
I'm toying with the idea of a 300mm f4 lens for my K-1 but since the only available Pentax K mount lens is a DA (not FF)
Actually Sigma makes a 300mm f/2.8 EX DG for Pentax K mount full frame that is the ideal solution if you can part with $3400 USD. Thatʻs still $2000 less than Nikonʻs 300mm f/2.8, $2500 less than Canonʻs, and $4000 less than Sonyʻs.
03-10-2018, 10:35 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm toying with the idea of a 300mm f4 lens for my K-1 but since the only available Pentax K mount lens is a DA (not FF), I'm wondering what experience you folks out there have had using the Pentax Takumar 300mm f4 (medium format) with an lens adapter? I don't mind shooting manual and if the IQ of this lens is acceptable, it can be had for about $120US. If that sound's feasible, what adapter is required to mount this to the K-1? Any input is appreciated.
G'day mate,

$120 sounds like a bargain if the lens is okay, surely a lot less than you'll pick up the DA* 300/4 for.

And whilst the DA* was released as an APSC lens, I've been using mine on my K-1 without any dramas. Initially I forgot that it would default to the crop mode of the K-1 but once I remembered that I just left the camera default at FF and I've never had any issues with it. Primarily I used this as my lens for sports shooting, and in this role it has been replaced by the 150-450 for the convenience and the reach of the zoom. But I've never considered the DA*300/4 not a match to the K-1's resolution, indeed I think the two go together really well.

Instead of words though I'll direct you to one of my Flickr albums to check out what the lens can do on the K-1. A variety of lenses were used on those images but those with the DA*300/4 will be identified in the details below and the tags. You can check that out here: Action, Sports, Motorsports & Events | Flickr To get a better look at what the K-1 and that lens can do I recommend you press L on the keyboard then F11 to get to the large view on a black matte.

Outside of sports I've only used it occasionally, though it is time to get out with it again for some telephoto landscapes. I don't do birding if that's your thing, this is as close as I get to that style of image with the K-1 & DA* 300/4 combo.

If you choose to pick up the DA*300/4 I can say you won't find it wanting, it's an excellent lens including on the K-1.

Tas

03-10-2018, 11:50 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The DA* 300mm is FF compatible. With the K1 you get lens corections in both crop and FF mode.
03-10-2018, 11:57 PM - 6 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The DA*300 is your best bet. It is officially designated as a full frame lens by Ricoh. It is quite compact, optically superb and weather sealed. And available new with a full warranty.

These are with the K-1

03-11-2018, 12:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

There's also the A * 300mm f4 and an m* 300mm

03-11-2018, 01:21 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't have a K 1 but based on my research and the excellent reviews here on the forum

perhaps this info might be of help to the OP and others

" Pentax K-1 Review
Available Lenses
The Pentax K-1 is compatible with every Pentax K-mount lens ever made without the need for an adapter, and with little or no restrictions in terms of functionality: this includes over 204 genuine full-frame lenses in addition to thousands of third-party offerings. Furthermore, you can adapt M42, M37, 645, and 6x7 lenses. Refer to our lens compatibility guide for further details, or seek advice in the lens forum. . . .

Read more at: Pentax K-1 Review - Available Lenses | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Full-Frame Compatible DA lenses
Ricoh Imaging has confirmed that the Pentax DA★ 200mm F2.8, DA★ 300mm F4, and DA 560mm F5.6 lenses support the full-frame image circle. To this end, the K-1 includes correction profiles for these lenses in both full-frame and crop modes. These lenses were originally marketed as APS-C only.

Read more at: Pentax K-1 Review - Available Lenses | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Pentax K-1 Lens Compatibility Guide
Everything you need to know about lenses for the K-1
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on Feb 20, 2016

Read more at: Pentax K-1 Lens Compatibility Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread

Posted By: falconeye, 07-07-08, 15:50 (Offline)

Hi everybody,

I would like to open up a thread dedicated to one topic:

DA lens on Full Frame: a sticky test shots thread.

This thread shall be dedicated to test shots of a DA lens mounted to a full frame body (e.g., a film camera body). By test shot, I mean shots dedicated to evaluate the performance. Shots of ordinary subjects aren't suitable to this task, normally, and should not be posted. So, these are the rules:

Read more at: DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread - Page 34 - PentaxForums.com

________________________________________________________________________________

http://www.mosphotos.com/PentaxLensCompatibility.html
03-11-2018, 03:06 AM - 1 Like   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The DA 300mm is officially FF compatible. On the K-1, you even get FF correction profiles.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-11-2018, 12:18 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I have a K300/4 and it does a fine job and I wouldn't hesitate at all to use it on a K1 if I had one. Being older, it does have some CA but I've had no problems correcting it in post. They can be found relatively inexpensive but the big drawback is no tripod mount. It's a big, heavy piece of glass and really needs some support. I have a cobbed up third party solution that works for me.
03-11-2018, 12:41 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K300 f4 doesn’t suffer from CA, it revels in it 🙂

But the larger problem is the lack of a tripod mount. You can hold it with the body mount, but it’s not well balanced...

-Eric
03-11-2018, 12:59 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Many thanks folks.

With that, I'll lean the DA direction if I decide on getting a 300mm. I know the Pentax 300mm DA is probably one of the best out there from reviews here and since it is FF, that pretty much settles it for me. I have a Sigma zoom that covers 300mm but would like a faster prime to add to my collection one day.

Great photos TAS & Sandy H.
03-11-2018, 01:05 PM - 3 Likes   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dick897 Quote
There's also the A * 300mm f4 and an m* 300mm
I do have A*300mm F4 which is a manual focus lens. I wear glasses and if I can do BIF (bird in flight) , any younger fellow can do it too. It is the shortest 300mm lens too

The shortest 300m prime - PentaxForums.com

---------- Post added 03-11-2018 at 04:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I have a K300/4 and it does a fine job and I wouldn't hesitate at all to use it on a K1 if I had one. Being older, it does have some CA but I've had no problems correcting it in post. They can be found relatively inexpensive but the big drawback is no tripod mount. It's a big, heavy piece of glass and really needs some support. I have a cobbed up third party solution that works for me.
Nowadays with S R, 300mm the absence of a tripod mount is not a huge deal indeed for a relatively short tele
03-11-2018, 03:57 PM - 3 Likes   #14
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you can live with f4.5 rather than f4, the F*300 and optically-identical FA*300 are superb lenses, and designed for full-frame (35mm film). More affordable (at around $650-700) than a second-hand DA*300, and without the reliability issues of SDM autofocus, they are compact and relatively light-weight. True gems. The F/FA*300 will work well with a range of FF teleconverters; the DA*300 vignettes heavily with the DA TC on a K-1, and the SDM autofocus won't work with a TC without pz contacts.

Here are some samples with the FA*300 f4.5 (some with a Kenko 1.5x TC), mostly with the K-3 although the rainbow lorikeet was taken with the K-S2.

Galahs

The Crimson Rosellas aren't happy about the Galahs taking their seed.

Grey Shrike-Thrush (female)

Grey Shrike-Thrush (juvenile)

Bell Miner

Lewin's Honeyeater

Rainbow Lorikeet on Flowering Gum

Red-capped Plovers (otherwise called Red-capped Dotterels)

Yellow Spoonbill

Pacific Gull

Eastern Great Egret

Yellow-bellied Water Skink

Lace Monitor

Black Swan

South Gippland landscape, looking to Wilson's Promontory

Heath (showing how pleasing the bokeh can be)
03-11-2018, 03:59 PM   #15
Veteran Member

As others have commented about the DA300 and the various K mount options, a medium format lens wouldn't be the best option (unless perhaps you already have one) - they're much heavier and bulky and unlikely to out-resolve 35mm designed lenses. Apart from the K mount options, there's also the SMC-Takumar 300/4 M42 mount lens - usable with the Pentax adapter. I haven't used mine enough on my K-5 to assess performance, but it's an incredibly well made lens.