Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2018, 03:01 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
The Samyang 135/2 is extremely sharp. But in every other lens characteristic, it falls well short of the performance of the Zeiss 135/2 (and all of the Zeiss Milvus lenses I have used).
I have been thinking of investing in a fast 135 for a while. Could you be more specific? Without shouting

03-11-2018, 05:59 PM - 3 Likes   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I have been thinking of investing in a fast 135 for a while. Could you be more specific? Without shouting
Of the lenses mentioned in this thread, I've owned a few including the Samyang and Voigtlander 125, and one not mentioned which was the Zeiss Jena 135. The Samyang is very sharp, but I thought it clinical, without micro contrast, and not so rich color-wise. The Voigtlander has great IQ, but for me was a problem because I need MF lenses (especially a long FL) to glide easily when focusing, and the VL 125 doesn't. The Zeiss Jena was wholly mediocre.

My current 135, the Zeiss 135/2 APO Sonnar is not only the best of the bunch, but for my tastes anyway it is the best lens I've ever owned (and on that list is every Pentax Limited and several * lenses, all the Voigtlanders, most Zeiss lenses made for Pentax plus a few Leitaxed Zeiss lenses, a couple of Leicas . . .)

I wish I could analyze in detail why the Sonnar hits my tastes so hard. I can say stuff like it is sharp without being harsh, it is amazing at F2 from edge to edge, it captures colors deep and rich, it has micro contrast up the yin yang, the bokeh (certainly helped by its long FL and IQ at F2) is superb—which collectively also make it a 3-D rendering masterpiece. But even all that really doesn't quite express how good the lens is. The only other lens that has come close to impressing me like the Sonnar is the Zeiss 21, but it in a very different way. The 21 is razor sharp goodness, while the Sonnar is lush yet still revealing every detail in a shot.

I picked up a used Nikon-mount version for about $1000 and had Dave Leitax it for me. Highly recommended if you have a need for that FL, like to manually focus, and don't mind manually adjusting the aperture.

Last edited by les3547; 03-13-2018 at 08:29 AM.
03-11-2018, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
it has micro contrast up the yin yang
That may well be my favourite phrase of the year
03-13-2018, 12:03 AM   #19
Pentaxian

So Sandy, now that you've had all of your questions answered on the relative merits of the top 135mm lenses, which one are you going to buy?

03-13-2018, 01:15 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
So Sandy, now that you've had all of your questions answered on the relative merits of the top 135mm lenses, which one are you going to buy?
It won't be the Samyang or the Zeiss. If an A*135 hit the market I'd think about it seriously. Mainly because Pentax.

On the other hand, I still kick myself for selling my tiny, fast-focussing, pixie dusted FA135. I'm a bit over huge lenses
03-14-2018, 06:11 AM - 4 Likes   #21
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SunnyG. Quote
How Pentax A* 135mm f1.8 compare to the Zeiss and Sigma 135mm f1.8
I guess I'm a tad bias... my "Lady Luck” (Pentax-A* 135mm F1.8) has always delivered when asked.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
03-19-2018, 10:28 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Once again, I ask why? Are you merely curious, or seriously interested in paying the entry price to this club? I'm still not sure I am

Anyway, there are few options for K-mount shooters.

Forget the Sigma.

The A*135 is difficult to find on the second hand market, and very expensive if you can. It works natively on the K-1. Some photos HERE

The Zeiss is slower, even more expensive, and needs a conversion to even work at all on K-mount. I'm sure Fenwoodiam can furnish you with sample images.

Samyang also make an excellent 135/2.0 - reviews HERE

I have owned the Pentax K135/2.5 and FA135/2.8 - both were excellent but I stupidly sold them before the K-1 was released
I'm only curious, to know! Right at this moment in life the best I can afford is the 135mm f2.5!

---------- Post added 03-19-18 at 10:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by HarisF1 Quote
It's very sharp wide open. It actually beats the K135/2.5 wide open for sharpness, and then wipes the floor with it at f/2.5. The bokeh on the A* is also much smoother in the same shooting conditions.

...But I don't think it's really worth the premium over the K135/2.5 unless you want to have the rarest lenses. I've not tried the Samyang but I can imagine it'd put up a great fight from the reviews I've seen.
Samyang and Zeiss 135 135mm f 2.8 seems like the only viable options. And also the logical option.