Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2018, 08:46 PM   #16

Original Poster
Some More Test Images to Test Focus & Sharpness

I took a few more test images to test out my lens' focus/resolution. Just want to make sure that I don't have a faulty or unusually soft lens or anything, the possibility of which has been nagging me.

Update your browser to use Google Drive - Google Drive Help

They were all taken at f/8. With the image of the tree, I used center spot focus and focused on the middle branch. For the three identical landscapes, I used f/8 and focused on the foreground grass, middle of the frame, and distant buildings, respectively. These are unsharpened and unedited. I think it's safe to rule out that I have a bad lens, and just need to master my focusing and technique? I also did a basic indoor focus test with a printout of a focus chart, and I don't seem to have any front or back focusing issue.

03-16-2018, 10:27 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CPLTarun Quote
These are unsharpened and unedited.
Raw files need to be processed. Importantly they need to be sharpened, usually in two stages, capture sharpening which is done early in the process by the raw converter, and lastly by output sharpening once the final image has been resized. Any unprocessed raw file will by it's very nature be soft.
03-17-2018, 01:04 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nothing wrong there. There was a tiny bit of cyan fringing which was very easily removed, but the image I looked at was all I could have wished for in sharpness. Get to know your camera and lens now and enjoy!
03-17-2018, 01:29 PM   #19
Pentaxian

My DA 21 mm had focus trouble twice, and I know of others having the same problem. It can happen that the interior focussing becomes lose. In that case you lens will not proberly focus to infinity. Check sharpness for close and far objects. Check live view vs. AF. The problem can be fixed by yourself or by service at liow cost. Make tests to ensure that you have a mimsfocus problem and any other more general problem.

03-17-2018, 03:08 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Don’t be afraid to use f11 on the 21, peak sharpness may be at F8 but F11 is still sharper than apertures larger than F5.6.
Its especially good for hyperfocal focusing, just adjust the F11 hyperfocal mark to the infinity distance and everything is in focus from 1m.
11-20-2023, 03:37 PM   #21
AJF
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Still hoping to learn to love this lens - appreciate the tips in here
11-21-2023, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The DA 21 was not designed to provide the ultimate in sharpness. It's goal is to provide excellent color and contrast and natural rendering of detail. I know the in terms of measured sharpness it's supposedly doesn't get sharp until stopped way down, but that's not been my experience. It seems plenty sharp to me (although admittedly not hyper sharp) at most apertures.

At f3.2:

At f4.5

At f8:

11-21-2023, 01:12 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great examples of the DFA 21 in use. Is that Navajo Mountain on the distant horizon?