Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2018, 03:09 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
How do I tame a Sigma 70-200mm zoom?

I recently bought a dual camera harness for my 2 K3s. The problem I now have is that my Sigma 70-200 f2.8 has developed a mind of its own. I'll swing the camera up to my eye only to find that I cannot take the shot as the camera won't fire - because the A-M switch on the lens has, all by itself, switched to manual. Or, I find that the on-lens OIS is switched on despite me using in camera stabilisation.

Obviously, as the camera bounces playfully against my body as I am walking along, the switches on the side of the lens get knocked. So, any ideas as to how to stop this from happening? My first, and so far only, thought was to tape over them. However, I'm not sure that that would be a good idea - all that sticky stuff might do the lens some damage. Also, would it even work? Because if it didn't stop the switches being knocked, the tape would hide that fact.

Or is it something I just have to live with?

03-15-2018, 03:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which harness? Where are the attachment points?
03-15-2018, 03:35 PM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just a thought, Keith - you could use low-tack painter's masking tape. I haven't used it on lens switches, but I've frequently used it to attach devices to metal light stands, precisely because I don't want a gummy mess left behind. It works a treat. I notice there's even one aimed at photographers, in black - which might be a little less unsightly (if that bothers you):

Black low tack adhesive tape for photographers 19mm x: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

If you cover the switch completely, I'd have thought that would be pretty effective in preventing movement when it bounces or rubs against you...
03-15-2018, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by keithw Quote
My first, and so far only, thought was to tape over them.
Gaffers tape. That's what it is designed for. I have a strip on my tripod most of the time. https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Gaffer-GafferPower-Available-Multiple/dp/B00G...ers+tape&psc=1

03-15-2018, 03:43 PM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Gaffers tape. That's what it is designed for. I have a strip on my tripod most of the time. https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Gaffer-GafferPower-Available-Multiple/dp/B00G...ers+tape&psc=1
I love gaffer tape, but is it safe to use on the textured finish of a Sigma lens (assuming it's that older textured coating)? Wouldn't there be a risk of pulling off some of the finish? I don't know... just asking

EDIT: I guess there are low and high tack versions available. Years ago, when I played in a band, the tape we used seemed to be quite low tack and easily removable, but modern types I've tried have all been super-adhesive...
03-15-2018, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mike, I've had no trouble with REAL gaffers tape. It goes on / off without any residue. It is very low tack and designed to go on equipment and then be removed. But it's expensive. There seem to be some 'fake' gaffers tape available that is a lot cheaper and doesn't look any different than duct tape. I would NOT use that as duct tape is designed to be sorta permanent.
03-15-2018, 04:04 PM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Mike, I've had no trouble with REAL gaffers tape. It goes on / off without any residue. It is very low tack and designed to go on equipment and then be removed. But it's expensive. There seem to be some 'fake' gaffers tape available that is a lot cheaper and doesn't look any different than duct tape. I would NOT use that as duct tape is designed to be sorta permanent.
That makes sense.

I found this stuff online... not the cheapest, but might be suitable for the OP (it's a UK based supplier):

Pro Grade Gaffer Tape Matt Finish Easy Peel Peelable Low Tack 2" x 50 Black - UK Suppliers of Single and Double Sided Self Adhesive Tapes - ApeTape

I'm sure there are other good brands and suppliers, but this looks to be the "real" thing...
03-15-2018, 06:05 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I think the big problem with using tape, is that itís going to be in the way when you sometimes need to switch to manual focus. AF doesnít work every time, all the time.

Iíd look for one of those silicon rubber bands, like the Lensband, to wrap over the rear of the lens, and you could slip it out of the way for easy access to the switch when needed.

03-15-2018, 08:36 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
I think the big problem with using tape, is that itís going to be in the way when you sometimes need to switch to manual focus. AF doesnít work every time, all the time.

Iíd look for one of those silicon rubber bands, like the Lensband, to wrap over the rear of the lens, and you could slip it out of the way for easy access to the switch when needed.
We can surely use AF/MF swich on camera body instead the one on the lens. At least that works with my K-3 and DA*300 combo. So taping lens AF/MF and IS switches to hold them in place should not be a problem IMO.
03-16-2018, 09:06 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Which harness? Where are the attachment points?
It's this one:

EvoDX Twin Camera Shoulder and Chest Harness for DSLR | 7dayshop

Cameras are attached using the tripod mount point.

---------- Post added 03-16-2018 at 09:16 AM ----------

Many thanks for the suggestions re low tack tape. And basically I am an idiot! My wife uses this stuff in her painting/crafting and I never thought of it. Cool, I can nick her tape :-)

As for manual focus, I very seldom use it. At my age I trust the AF more than I trust my eyes.

Will give the tape a try, thanks again
03-16-2018, 09:32 AM   #11

Photos: Gallery
You could use frog tape. Comes in 3 different levels of tackyness
If you're worried about the adhesive on the switches, just put tissue over the switch and then tape it up.
03-16-2018, 01:32 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dick897 Quote
... just put tissue over the switch and then tape it up.
Sheer genius!
03-16-2018, 02:02 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by keithw Quote
Cameras are attached using the tripod mount point.
Try attaching the big Sigma by its tripod mount. Hanging the camera from the lens is less stress on the lens mount, and it might change the way the rig sits against your body, thus avoiding the problem altogether. Changing the length of the strap might make a difference too.

Mind you, tape will work as well