Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2018, 01:55 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Difference between the SMC FA 1.4 and 1.7

I'm trying to find the best deal on the bay of E's for the FA f/1.4 50mm. My question is, is the price difference worth it to get the 1.4 over the 1.7? I have been reading some reviews here and other places, and they've said the 1.7 is a little sharper and user friendly. Can anyone with experience using either or both of these lenses impart some wisdom? It'll be used on either my K7 or K3 if that helps. I have no idea what I'm going to use it for, but I want to do more street photography than I already do. Thanks!

03-21-2018, 05:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian

The FA 50 F1.7 is much rarer, which drives the price up a bit. The F50 F1.7 is the same except for the external look, and near-ubiquitous, so it will be easier to find for cheap.

The difference between the F1.4 and F1.7 (apart from the small gain in aperture) is that the F1.4 has a slightly better bokeh, while the F1.7 is slightly sharper below F2.8. But the differences are marginal. Also, the F1.7 doesn't benefit from a hood as much as the F1.4, since the front glass is recessed in the body. So it makes for a smaller package.
03-21-2018, 05:45 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have both. Claims of sharpness differences should be taken with a grain of salt. Copy variation is probably greater than the differences in sharpness for these two lenses. I generally prefer the 1.4 indoors and for group portraits. The 1.7 is used more for landscapes and architecture. YMMV. The maximum aperture advantage of the 1.4 is noticeable in many settings. Both are a good deal right now.
03-21-2018, 05:48 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the 1.4, only acquired last year. Many folks report a sharper result with the 1.7 at wide apertures, but if you stop down I bet you cannot tell the difference. Ultimately it will depend if the extra half stop is necessary for you.

Here are a couple taken at 1.4 on the K1

03-21-2018, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This may be a case of people saying something is true without testing it. I've seen the comments about sharpness and believed them until I went and found head to head reviews. I own the F 50 1.7 myself, and wanted to think it was better. The head to head detailed reviews agree that the 1.4 bokeh is better even stopped down a bit. Personally I just live with my "inferior" lens because it is really quite good and it wasn't expensive.
03-21-2018, 06:25 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 1.4 has 8 aperture blades, the 1.7 has 6. So obviously the bokeh is going to be better with the 1.4...

I have seen claims that the Pentax 50mm F1.7 lenses were designed for better edge to edge sharpness while the 1.4s were designed to be sharp in the center and softer at the edges.

I can't make any specific claims about the FA 1.4 because I don't own it, I only own the 1.7. But I do own the K, M, & A 1.4...
03-21-2018, 06:51 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have an M 50 1.4, an F 50 1.7, and a DA 50 1.8. I like having that fast 1.4 for my film camera. Honestly though, I'd get a DA 50 1.8 if I'm on an auto-focusing camera. The 50 1.4 in my experience exhibits the most veiling flare. I like taking night shots in urban environments and street lights can play havok with the 50 1.4. The DA 50 1.8 is well corrected and comes with better coatings which seem to help with the flare. Bokeh is very nice with all three but after the 50 1.4 I would take the DA 50.

If I were using a film body that had lens aperture control in-body I would probably just used the DA 50 1.8 there as well. I am very much a hobbyist; take my reply here with a grain of salt.

03-21-2018, 09:23 AM   #8

Original Poster
Would it be safe to say that the 1.4 is a better up close portrait lens while the 1.7 is a little better for all around shooting? I'm mostly looking for something that'll turn out really nice portraits.
03-21-2018, 09:29 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bikehead90 Quote
Would it be safe to say that the 1.4 is a better up close portrait lens while the 1.7 is a little better for all around shooting? I'm mostly looking for something that'll turn out really nice portraits.
It is clear and safe to say that wide open the 1.4 will give blurrier backgrounds and that will help with some types of portraits. That's all I can say with authority despite having owned some manual focus 1.4's and currently owning the 1.7 F version.
03-21-2018, 09:55 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm mostly looking for something that'll turn out really nice portraits.
Then go for the 1.4. If you get better bokeh and narrower DOF there will be occasions where it will be more value to you than the 1.7. Any perception of it being less sharp at wide apertures will not matter with a portrait shot.
03-21-2018, 09:56 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Get the 1.4 over the 1.7, in my estimation, as it will create what I believe you're looking for.
03-21-2018, 10:30 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
It is clear and safe to say that wide open the 1.4 will give blurrier backgrounds and that will help with some types of portraits. That's all I can say with authority despite having owned some manual focus 1.4's and currently owning the 1.7 F version.
How does the 1.7 work on a modern camera? That's something I've yet to comprehend how to use a non-computerized lens on a contemporary camera.
03-21-2018, 10:32 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

At f/5.6 where I start the lenses produce indistinguishable images, with exception of far-distant OOF background areas.
03-21-2018, 10:40 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I'll throw a curveball and submit that, for that particular application, the FA 43mm Limited is also a stellar choice. for my part I much prefer the slightly wider FOV.

How does the 1.7 work on a modern camera? That's something I've yet to comprehend how to use a non-computerized lens on a contemporary camera.
As long as it's an F50 or FA50 F1.7 (meaning it has autofocus) it will works just like a recent lens would.

If it's an A lens, aperture control will be automatic, focus will be manual.

If it's an M or K lens (the latter is simply labeled "SMC Pentax 50mm something", without any identifying letter) it's going to be fully manual, you control the aperture on the lens and focus yourself.
03-21-2018, 10:50 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The F series is fully automatic and autofocus. But I have used an M 50mm f/1.7 before on my K-3 without problems. Steps:

1) Focus - manually. Either using viewfinder and focus confirmation, a 3rd party screen calibrated and with a split prism or better matte area, or magnified live view.

2) Meter (This may be omitted if you already did this on a previous shot and you are satisfied lighting hasn't changed much.) Typically with Green Button or Depth of Field Preview mode. The Usage of Green Button - PentaxForums.com

3) Take the shot.

Computers have nothing to do with it. Sure they make some things easier. Matrix metering can be more accurate with focus distance info, mtf can be observed, autofocus can track a subject, etc. But you don't NEED any of that to take a shot.