Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2008, 10:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Alert!! to all birds planes and soccer stars :) 300mm

I just confirmed the order for use of a DA 300mm F4 (http://www.cameralensrentals.com) for the next two weeks. Should be here Saturday and with any luck I will get to the local airshow on Sunday I know it won't be mine forever but it will give me a taste to save the pennies for. Actually I am torn between the 300 and the Bigma. I just need someone to lend me there Bigma for a few weeks to help make my choice. (hint hint ) So this is a notice to all things in range (kids started soccer this weekend) I will be shooting

09-04-2008, 11:24 AM   #2
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ohhhh what a great idea. Borrowing a bigma to shoot soccer games that start this week. Hmmmm, who do I know nearby who has a bigma. Anyone? Oooh ooh, Mike!!! Hey Mike!! Wanna come on down to some soccer games this weekend so's I can borry the bigma? heehee.
09-04-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Ohhhh what a great idea. Borrowing a bigma to shoot soccer games that start this week. Hmmmm, who do I know nearby who has a bigma. Anyone? Oooh ooh, Mike!!! Hey Mike!! Wanna come on down to some soccer games this weekend so's I can borry the bigma? heehee.
If you weren't over 2,500 miles away from me Mel, I'd be there with my Bigma for you to use in a heartbeat!
09-04-2008, 11:51 AM   #4
mel
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
If you weren't over 2,500 miles away from me Mel, I'd be there with my Bigma for you to use in a heartbeat!
Thank you LaRee!! How sweet! Darn continent in the way. I really want to try a bigma on soccer after trying one on the kayak thing.

09-04-2008, 12:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey Mell, they have this thing called Fed Ex they send stuff to and from people that want to let you borrow things Hint Hint !!! If you know someone wants to PM me I promise not to tell anyone you let me borrow it
09-04-2008, 12:16 PM   #6
mel
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Hey Mell, they have this thing called Fed Ex they send stuff to and from people that want to let you borrow things Hint Hint !!! If you know someone wants to PM me I promise not to tell anyone you let me borrow it

Okay so what you're saying is, LaRee sends me her bigma overnight for me to use this weekend. Then I send it to you to use next weekend. Then you send it back to LaRee?

I still think Mike would love to drive an hour south with his bigma to watch a couple games while said bigma is attached to my personal camera
09-04-2008, 12:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay so what you're saying is, LaRee sends me her bigma overnight for me to use this weekend. Then I send it to you to use next weekend. Then you send it back to LaRee?

I still think Mike would love to drive an hour south with his bigma to watch a couple games while said bigma is attached to my personal camera

I am liking this idea. Soccer season last more than a week so maybe Mike will see this and send to you and than me in a week or so. Or Laree either way this sound reasonable

09-04-2008, 06:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Actually, shipping lenses back and forth isn't that big of a deal--just get the borrower to pay shipping and insurance back and forth and have an agreed upon borrowing period. Back in the spring, I borrowed another forum member's Sigma 10-20 with a similar-type of arrangement and it worked out just fine on both ends.

BTW, I checked with CameraLensRentals.com and they are planning on ordering a Bigma next time they go lens shopping. I'm going to Tennessee to my parents' in December and Dad and I may go out on a birding shoot, so a Bigma would be nice to have for that trip.

Heather
09-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
Actually, shipping lenses back and forth isn't that big of a deal--just get the borrower to pay shipping and insurance back and forth and have an agreed upon borrowing period. Back in the spring, I borrowed another forum member's Sigma 10-20 with a similar-type of arrangement and it worked out just fine on both ends.

BTW, I checked with CameraLensRentals.com and they are planning on ordering a Bigma next time they go lens shopping. I'm going to Tennessee to my parents' in December and Dad and I may go out on a birding shoot, so a Bigma would be nice to have for that trip.

Heather
The BIGMA doesn't get it's name for nuttin'. I could see mailing a 10-20 off, but a Bigma is a big heavy lens. You guys must have better shippers than I have. My packages come crunched more often than not.
09-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
I just confirmed the order for use of a DA 300mm F4 (http://www.cameralensrentals.com) for the next two weeks. Should be here Saturday and with any luck I will get to the local airshow on Sunday I know it won't be mine forever but it will give me a taste to save the pennies for. Actually I am torn between the 300 and the Bigma. I just need someone to lend me there Bigma for a few weeks to help make my choice. (hint hint ) So this is a notice to all things in range (kids started soccer this weekend) I will be shooting
Guessing you're headed to Great New England Air Show I'm thinking of checking it out myself, having never been to an air show. Unfortunately the weather is not looking good for Saturday (the best day for me to attend) . If I make it out Sunday, I'll be on the lookout for a fellow Pentax user with a loooong lens!!
09-05-2008, 05:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Jcorwin - I will be on the look out for you as well. I hope to get there Sunday. Schedule looks very tight for that day but I am doing everything I can to get there. I will look for a fellow Pentax shooter and say hi.
09-05-2008, 09:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

LOL Mel... When are the soccer games this weekend? If they are on Saturday they are gonna have to play in scuba gear. I will drive down one weekend for ya. I'm pretty busy the next couple of weekends though. How long is the season?

ohh... and just to get the terminology right it is "BIGMA"... lowercase letters just don't do it justice.

Good to hear the cameralensrental guys are getting a BIGMA. It's a great lens and they will find they can't keep it in the store long. Wish they'd get the FA* 300mm F2.8 ED [IF] and the A* 600mm F5.6 ED [IF]...

Last edited by MRRiley; 09-05-2008 at 09:37 AM.
09-05-2008, 11:43 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sad news, the planes, birds and soccer kids are safe from the 300mm for this weekend. Some issues with shipping has my rental not making it until Tuesday or Wednesday. Ilene at Camera Rental has been great and tried to make it work but things happen. Very happy with the response and the offer to send other lens or camera instead. She did mention BIGMA coming soon