Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2018, 05:16 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
What most people are looking for is comparison tests of currently available lenses. DA 55-300 PLM vs DA*60-250 vs DFA 70-200, vs DA*300 or DA*200. The trouble is, no one has all those lenses.
I wouldn't be so sure.
Given the growing number of blogs, YouTube videos, etc etc, with tests, reviews and personal experiences about vintage lenses (a good number of them unfortunately of no interest to Pentax users), I'd say that many people have different interests. Some of them are also interested in new lenses, some don't. Personally I think they have some very good reasons.
Ask yourself why a Primoplan 58mm or a Trioplan 100mm in good conditions sell on Ebay (auctions, not BIN) for at least 350 euros. Both optics are everything but rare. Their price is driven up by all the Internet hype about their particular optical signature. Few of the buyers have any direct experience or personally know anybody using such lenses. They found the information across a huge number of Internet resources. If these lenses are sold over and over, and consistently at such prices, I guess that the target (including those who can't afford them) is not small. As simple as that.

Personally I have nothing more than a kind of academic interest in the tests that you'd like to see, while I really like tests/reviews of older lenses, and I enthusiastically welcome them the rare times I find a good one.
If you don't find the tests you like you can curse the small Pentax user base, or the fact that Ricoh doesn't seem to like to pay money to get some attention. Major test sites are there to promote sales, not to give a service, otherwise they wouldn't survive. Vintage lenses sites don't promote the sales of any major player. At most they can stay afloat with some Google Ads, but nobody gets a proper payment in exchange for plenty of time and dedication.
Even if I didn't value other factors over surgical sharpness, and I didn't collect old lenses, I'd be drawn more to the site of an enthusiastic individual than to those that play by the dubious (and blurry) rules of the economy. I guess that Vietnamese workers would do just fine anyway

Cheers

Paolo