Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-25-2018, 08:29 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Front focus on my 43 Limited

Hello Folks,
I have been shooting with my 43 Limited lens. It really is hard to like because it seems to be soft. Today, I tried to do a calibration test using a long ruler. I focused (wide open) on the number 31. When looking at the image, I noticed that it appears to be front focusing. The focus is clear on the number 31, and about 1/2 an inch in front. It becomes out of focus only 1/16" behind 31. Do I need to do a lens calibration? I have never done this before, and I can't find it int the manual. I'm a little nervous about doing it, but I want to do it right, and perhaps start to love my 43 Limited. I like the fact that it is a true normal on my K-1.
Can someone please tell me where in the manual to get the directions? Is this process very difficult? I assume that I will make a small adjustment, and then retest the lens. As much help as possible will be very much appreciated.
Thank you very much.
Terry

03-25-2018, 09:03 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fixing Front and Back Focus - The Remedy - In-Depth Articles

You can use a regular ruler at an angle as it sounds like you already did. Just read the article for the other details.
03-25-2018, 09:43 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Fixing Front and Back Focus - The Remedy - In-Depth Articles

You can use a regular ruler at an angle as it sounds like you already did. Just read the article for the other details.
Thank you, Sir. I watched a youtube video, and then was able to find it in the manual. It seems strait forward, so I should be able to do it, and keep testing the lens until I get it perfect.
Terry

---------- Post added 03-25-18 at 09:58 AM ----------

I do have one question. Will the camera remember what lens I make the adjustment, or is there a way to mane the lens in the camera?
Thank you,
Terry
03-25-2018, 10:10 AM   #4
BWG
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When in the Fine Adjustment menu choose “Apply One” and the adjustment will only apply to that lens. Each lens should be calibrated separately. It can make a real difference on your keeper rates.

03-25-2018, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The problem with using a regular ruler alone is the focal point of the camera can be off from that shown in the viewfinder and the camera may not be focusing where you think. A better option is one of the dedicated focal aids such as the one available from Datacolor. I use their SpyderLenscal. It contains a vertical target to focus on with a 45 degree ruler beside it. Be sure the target is plumb(vertically level) and it is lined up at 90 degrees from camera.
03-25-2018, 11:31 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Any lens that communicates electronically to the camera conveying focal length etc will work with the apply one option. Essentially F/FA/DA/DFA Series lenses. Older series like A/M/K/m42 lenses only work with apply All settings.
03-25-2018, 11:40 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you, guys. I finally got it calibrated. I stared out with -5 calibration, just to see how it acted. That was too much, obviously, so I backed off to -2. As far as I can see using the ruler method, it is right on the money. Now, I hope my 43 Limited comes to life.
Terry

---------- Post added 03-25-18 at 11:42 AM ----------

Thank you, David. I will get one of those, now that I found out how doing this to all of my lens is a good idea. It was supposedly easy to do.
Thank you,
Terry

Last edited by TerryL; 03-25-2018 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Correct spelling
03-26-2018, 05:10 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Now, I hope my 43 Limited comes to life.
It should. In the center, it's in the top-tier of the sharpest lenses that I've used. It's certainly among the most magical.
03-26-2018, 05:10 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Now, I hope my 43 Limited comes to life.
It should. In the center, it's in the top-tier of the sharpest lenses that I've used. It's certainly among the most magical.