Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2008, 02:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Which Lens to Part With?

I'm going to sell one of these 2 lenses and was wondering which one would you keep?

Vivitar Series 1 90mm 2.5 Macro aka/ Bokina w/o the 1:1 adapter ,, since I can't find one to go with it. Or
Rikenon (Ricoh) 105mm 2.8 P Macro which is the same as the Tokina one.
it's a true 1:1.

Thanks For The Help
Jack

PS don't just tell me the one you want so I sell it for you.

09-04-2008, 05:54 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Which one produces the best shots for you?
If they are comparable, keep the 105 because it's true 1:1
09-04-2008, 06:06 PM   #3

I'm sorry if this offends you but only you can make that decision, which do you like more?

I can understand asking for opinions of lenses that you have no access to or have never tried, that makes perfect sense to me and I do it all the time, but to ask US which of YOUR two lenses is better for YOU is a bit silly don't you think...
09-04-2008, 09:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AlpenTak Quote
I'm sorry if this offends you but only you can make that decision, which do you like more?

I can understand asking for opinions of lenses that you have no access to or have never tried, that makes perfect sense to me and I do it all the time, but to ask US which of YOUR two lenses is better for YOU is a bit silly don't you think...
Looking for advice on something is never silly. Often people have views on things that haven't occurred to you - Getting opinions doesn't mean 'tell me what to do and I'll do it', it means 'try to tell me something that helps me make up my mind'.

09-05-2008, 01:21 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I'd suggest taking them both out and using them. One will eventually stand out as a 'keeper'. Pay close attention to balance on the camera, tightness of the focus ring, lots of things. The trick is as you are using the lens/camera combination you are concentrating on the shots and not the equipment.

If you have to sell one then fine, but if you don't need to right away make room on a shelf and decide later.
09-05-2008, 12:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
I'd suggest taking them both out and using them. One will eventually stand out as a 'keeper'. Pay close attention to balance on the camera, tightness of the focus ring, lots of things. The trick is as you are using the lens/camera combination you are concentrating on the shots and not the equipment.

If you have to sell one then fine, but if you don't need to right away make room on a shelf and decide later.
This is a good strategy. Be sure to use them both for similar amount of time and similar shots.
09-05-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Anyway I sold the Vivitar Series 1 90mm 2.5 macro and threw in the Vivitar 2x macro teleconverter for full 1:1 and got 300 for them, so the buyer and I got a good deal. Even though the 90mm is the best manual focus macro the 105mm 2.8 is dam close and I don't have to have 2 peices to shoot.

Thanks
Jack
09-06-2008, 01:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ricoh 105mm 2.8 macro

I think I kept the right lens, I love the P mode on the apture ring I guess it's the same as the A on a Pentax lens. Plus it will lock in the P mode for you so you don't bump it out while focusing.
I know I have no imagination yet on shots but here are a few test shots around the yard, I zoomed in on a few and then captured the photo with my screen capture tool, it makes the shot alot smaller for sending and posting but it keeps the quality.

09-06-2008, 09:16 PM   #9

I also think that you kept the right lens, if you like bug shots then the 1:1 will be very handy.

I must say that the lens does have very nice out of focus rendering.