Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-26-2018, 10:24 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
-10 on lens adjustment

Hello folks,
I have the 3 FA limited lenses for my K-1. With my 43 being my normal lens, I shoot with that more often than the 31 and 77. My copy of the 43 is very soft. I really was frustrated with it. So, I did the fine tune adjustment on all three of them. My 77 only took an adjustment of -2, then it was perfect. On my 43, it took -10, and it is still not perfect, but very close. I'm going to shoot with it today, as soon as my battery charges. Is -10 out of the ordinary? Is there a way that I can go past -10 on the adjustment? I have only had the K-1 and lenses for 3 months, so I don't know all of the capabilities yet. With -10 on my 43, I do think I will get good results if I stop down some. I do wished that I could get it perfect, though. I did all of my adjustments at f 1.9. Thank you very much for your replies.
Terry

Last edited by TerryL; 03-26-2018 at 10:43 AM. Reason: correct spelling
03-26-2018, 10:44 AM   #2

Be very careful, as the depth of field at f1.9 is very narrow and challenging in PDAF (viewfinder AF) even for a perfectly calibrated camera+lens.
The first step is to check whether your camera+lens can achieve perfect focus in live view CDAF (using a tripod to steady the camera).

Check both for close distance targets and infinity.

If the LV CDAF is OK, you should try different settings to find the correct PDAF fine tuning and be happy with it. Always use central point AF and dont move the camera after AF lock.

If the focus is perfect in live view but you cannot get a correct PDAF fine tuning, maybe your camera needs servicing.

If the lens doesnt focuses perfectly in live view, then either the lens (if only one lens misfocus) or the camera (if all three lenses misfocus in LV) may need servicing.
03-26-2018, 12:00 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Hello folks,
I have the 3 FA limited lenses for my K-1. With my 43 being my normal lens, I shoot with that more often than the 31 and 77. My copy of the 43 is very soft. I really was frustrated with it. So, I did the fine tune adjustment on all three of them. My 77 only took an adjustment of -2, then it was perfect. On my 43, it took -10, and it is still not perfect, but very close. I'm going to shoot with it today, as soon as my battery charges. Is -10 out of the ordinary? Is there a way that I can go past -10 on the adjustment? I have only had the K-1 and lenses for 3 months, so I don't know all of the capabilities yet. With -10 on my 43, I do think I will get good results if I stop down some. I do wished that I could get it perfect, though. I did all of my adjustments at f 1.9. Thank you very much for your replies.
Terry
You should test the performance of your 43mm in live view, preferable using manual focus and magnification. Remember that the adjustments only apply to AF through the viewfinder. If there's some issue with the lens itself, or if you're just seeing softness due to wide aperture, then AF adjustments won't do you any good.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-26-2018, 12:08 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You should test the performance of your 43mm in live view, preferable using manual focus and magnification. Remember that the adjustments only apply to AF through the viewfinder. If there's some issue with the lens itself, or if you're just seeing softness due to wide aperture, then AF adjustments won't do you any good.
Thank you, Adam. I do believe that it is an AF issue. Is there a way for me to go past -10 on the adjustment? It won't take much more to get it perfect.
Terry

03-26-2018, 12:08 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thank you, Adam. I do believe that it is an AF issue. Is there a way for me to go past -10 on the adjustment? It won't take much more to get it perfect.
Terry
Only by sending the lens + camera in for calibration.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-26-2018, 01:58 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Only by sending the lens + camera in for calibration.
Well, I took a couple of shots to see how they looked at -10 adjustment, and they looked horrible. It's hard to explain, but I know that's not the answer. I set it back to zero, immediately. I'll try shooting at higher f stops, and see if it's a keeper at about 2.8 and higher. Most reviews I've read did say that you need to stop down some.
What causes the image to look bad? I really hate to send my camera away. What f stops are used to make the 43 look nice? I know it may be the least desirable of the three FA limited lenses, but I'm trying to like it. I know that it takes a while to learn how to use a lens, and that's what I'm trying to do. It sure is beautiful and a pleasure to use. Thank you, Adam.
Terry
03-26-2018, 05:14 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Well, I took a couple of shots to see how they looked at -10 adjustment, and they looked horrible. It's hard to explain, but I know that's not the answer. I set it back to zero, immediately. I'll try shooting at higher f stops, and see if it's a keeper at about 2.8 and higher. Most reviews I've read did say that you need to stop down some.
What causes the image to look bad? I really hate to send my camera away. What f stops are used to make the 43 look nice? I know it may be the least desirable of the three FA limited lenses, but I'm trying to like it. I know that it takes a while to learn how to use a lens, and that's what I'm trying to do. It sure is beautiful and a pleasure to use. Thank you, Adam.
Terry
It should be plenty sharp when stopped down by 1 or 2 stops. Did you test it in live view with magnification?

Adam

03-26-2018, 07:49 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Terry
I think until you do controlled tests (camera on tripod, LV focus,SR off, etc.) you're not going to get any further with this. I don't doubt the lens is "beautiful" physically but I'd feel it was just not doing its job if it's basically an f4.

My 60-250 needed a 10 adjustment when new and I would say that's not normal or acceptable. That's more than bad enough to show up on a 6-10mp body and remember lots of those bodies had no practical way to adjust focus at all so yes, I would not accept an adjustment of 10. But I didn't have to send my body in - Pentax fixed the lens, and I think that will normally be true as long as several other lenses require very little or no adjustment on the same body.
03-27-2018, 11:04 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My 31 ltd needs +10 on the k1. My 43 ltd needs +8. If your 43 ltd needs more than 10 adjustment you should send camera and lens on for adjustments. But you must do the AFFA methodically. Testing just one af attempt will not give you correct results
03-28-2018, 05:36 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
My 31 ltd needs +10 on the k1. My 43 ltd needs +8. If your 43 ltd needs more than 10 adjustment you should send camera and lens on for adjustments. But you must do the AFFA methodically. Testing just one af attempt will not give you correct results
Hi Peter,
Good to hear from you. Today, I'm going to test the lens in Live View, and manual focus. You have been a great help to me, and I really have appreciated it. I always love the pictures of your beautiful dog. I wish I knew what breed it is, because I want one just like it.
Respectfully,
Terry
03-29-2018, 11:42 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Adam,
Can you recommend a really good shop here in the U.S.A.? Thank you.
Terry

---------- Post added 03-29-18 at 11:45 AM ----------

Peter,
When I have my camera on a tripod and pointed to the 45 degree ruler, do I have the camera level, or can I point it down toward the ruler? Thank you.
Terry
03-29-2018, 12:55 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Adam,
Can you recommend a really good shop here in the U.S.A.? Thank you.
Terry
Use Precision as the calibration should be covered under warranty. Details on the procedures can be found in our repairs & warranty forum.

Adam

03-29-2018, 02:41 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Use Precision as the calibration should be covered under warranty. Details on the procedures can be found in our repairs & warranty forum.
Thank you, Adam.
Terry
03-31-2018, 02:02 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I always love the pictures of your beautiful dog. I wish I knew what breed it is, because I want one just like it.
Hi terry, been away from the forums fr a few days. My two dogs Rio and Ripley are "Show" Cocker Spaniels (as opposed to "Working" Cocker Spaniels)

---------- Post added 03-31-18 at 10:04 PM ----------

When I have my camera on a tripod and pointed to the 45 degree ruler, do I have the camera level, or can I point it down toward the ruler? Thank you
It doesnt really matter whether the camera is level and the chart is 45 degrees, or the chart is level and the camera at 45 degrees, as long as the angle between the two is about 45 degrees.
04-02-2018, 10:17 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi terry, been away from the forums fr a few days. My two dogs Rio and Ripley are "Show" Cocker Spaniels (as opposed to "Working" Cocker Spaniels)

---------- Post added 03-31-18 at 10:04 PM ----------

It doesnt really matter whether the camera is level and the chart is 45 degrees, or the chart is level and the camera at 45 degrees, as long as the angle between the two is about 45 degrees.
Great, thank you very much, Peter.
Terry