Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2018, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If it's the "K" f1.2 version (which it does looks like), you got it for a steal 'cuz that lens itself on ebay on the low end is around $325-ish & goes up from therd.

03-31-2018, 02:32 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alpheios Quote
It is what you think it is - the 50mm f/1.2. Looks like you‘ve found one of those special auction listings where the seller has no idea about the value. Am I right?
If you go onto the Goodwill site, more often then not, the photo stuff is miss priced or no description because the people do not know what they are doing.

I saw an auction just a month or two ago that was for three F lenses. If you looked closer, there was a 1.4 converter mounted to the 50mm lens.
03-31-2018, 05:04 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
If you go onto the Goodwill site, more often then not, the photo stuff is miss priced or no description because the people do not know what they are doing.

I saw an auction just a month or two ago that was for three F lenses. If you looked closer, there was a 1.4 converter mounted to the 50mm lens.
I wouldn't say that Goodwill auctions are miss priced; it is, after all, an auction site and the market will dictate the final price. If anything, they occasionally try to guess at a value and in the process set a starting price that is too high, (example, almost all the 35mm compacts).

However, their descriptions definitely show that they typically don't know what they're listing, (52mm Hoya lens, etc), and their photographs
are often poor and irrelevant. You might say this is good and bad as a bidder. For the bad, you really have to set your phasers to
Caution: Buyer Be Ware. For the good, you can occasionally bag a really good deal if you have a sharp eye, such as is the case in the
auction that started this thread. My best score was a large kit with a Spotmatic and several lenses. One of the lenses was a pristine
SuperTak 85/1.9. However, the name ring wasn't clearly illustrated and I had to guess at the ID of the lens based on side photos of the lens.
03-31-2018, 05:53 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Goodwill is the way aBay was fifteen years ago.

03-31-2018, 06:07 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Goodwill is the way aBay was fifteen years ago.
How so? I'm genuinely curious in how you see the two as similar.

I think ebay was in it's glory days 15ish years ago. No 'Buy It Now', which has had a negative impact on auctions in general.
Auctions are/were always a random affair, but ebay has a way of whittling out the poor auctions. Sellers are forced to improve
or they don't sell. Goodwill, on the other hand, doesn't have that incentive. The individuals listing the goodwill auctions have no
personal stake in the outcome of the auction, thus no incentive to take good photos or give accurate details. Yes, there are poorly
presented auction items on ebay, but for the most part ebay is much better, now and in the past, than goodwill in terms of item
information.
03-31-2018, 06:49 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
How so? I'm genuinely curious in how you see the two as similar.

I think ebay was in it's glory days 15ish years ago. No 'Buy It Now', which has had a negative impact on auctions in general.
Auctions are/were always a random affair, but ebay has a way of whittling out the poor auctions. Sellers are forced to improve
or they don't sell. Goodwill, on the other hand, doesn't have that incentive. The individuals listing the goodwill auctions have no
personal stake in the outcome of the auction, thus no incentive to take good photos or give accurate details. Yes, there are poorly
presented auction items on ebay, but for the most part ebay is much better, now and in the past, than goodwill in terms of item
information.
I started trading on eBay in 1998 and bought and resold there profitably until about 2006. In the early days of my eBay trading - I mean prior to PayPal, selling service boutiques, eBay software, sniping and sophisticated html-embedded posts (unless the seller built his own templates), many sellers were poorly informed about what they were selling. The compact digital photos were often OK (I knew a seller who used a couple white laundry tubs as a light box), but the descriptions were way off - using the photo was the smart way to bid..

My favorite auctions were a KX or K2 with a K50/1.4 or 55/1.8 attached. I bid $66.75 max (even before auto-raise) for those and frequently won. With a bit of cleaning, used lens caps and body caps bought in bulk from local camera dealers, and sometimes seals I could sell the camera and lens separately for $175 - $225. Later I had Eric CLA the best cosmetic cameras and started the listing at $159. They often sold for $189 - $209 and the lens was gravy. I kept a running tally of Money In / Money Out and I bought my K10D with trading profit.

I did something very similar with Boy Scout patches - caught a wave of patch collecting - and made nearly $10,000 in three years.

Then eBay matured. Dealers figured out the caps they sold me for $1 they could sell for $7 on eBay. Pentax hoods cold fetch $25. Takumars went sky high - everyone caught on, so I quit. Now eBay actively discourages individual sellers. And I’m not willing to give it that much work any more.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-07-2018 at 07:44 AM.
03-31-2018, 07:25 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ive done VERY well for myself on Goodwill auctions in the last 4 years. However....Prices are going up and the smoking good deals are harder and harder to find.
Scored my 85mm Tak , a Lester Dine Macro , lots of hard to find Taks , and several A , K , and M series lenses.
Since I also am a Pentax collector , I keep what I'm after , and sell off the rest.
Over 4 years I have built an extremely nice collection of Taks , and a quite nice assortment of "shooters" for actual use.
Its kinda nearing an end , as I have just about all I'm actually after.

Ebay was nice for quite a while , and so was PayPal. However at the same time they were "Maturing" so was I !
Now I find both of them quite detestable , and have moved on to other things that dont "Violate" my personal "Terms of Service".....lol.

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 03-31-2018 at 07:45 PM.
04-05-2018, 09:12 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Lens comes in Saturday. I can hardly wait and will post pics and followup
04-05-2018, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #24

When I started looking at Goodwill maybe 8 or 9 so years ago there was very little interest on the used camera gear. You could almost always get a great bargain. Then a year or two later it seemed everyone else had discovered Goodwill and the closing bids were about what you'd find on eBay.

Now, as with eBay, most of the great bargains are from poorly listed items with photos that takes a sharp eye to spot what is actual up for sale. I picked up a Refconverter M way below what these usually go for that was listed only as a Pentax Refconverter and in only one blurry photo you could barely make out the portion of the "M" at the edge of the photo.
04-07-2018, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Its out for delivery ! Sometime today I will post pics......
04-07-2018, 03:59 PM - 3 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here it is ! Its in very nice shape.......
I'm not doing well today , so keeping it rather short

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 07-23-2018 at 12:50 PM.
04-07-2018, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looks very nice. I can take comfort in the fact its hard to focus my 1.4. I would love the chance to try on a 1.2.
It maybe half full or empty but its only a matter of time before its knocked over.