Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-02-2018, 05:08 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Any Hope for S.M.C. Takumar 24mm 3.5 with stuck blades ?

My old SMC Takumar 24mm lens has finally got stuck blades.
They were always slow opening , but it has progressed to the point now of not opening or closing hardly at all......barely useable at all.
I don't want a costly CLA and would like to do this myself if it isn't too hard.
Problem is I cant find any info directly related to this lens.
Should I try this on my own ?
I do have appropriate tools , just don't know where to start on this one.....Any Help is much appreciated.

04-02-2018, 05:21 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
My old SMC Takumar 24mm lens has finally got stuck blades.
They were always slow opening , but it has progressed to the point now of not opening or closing hardly at all......barely useable at all.
I don't want a costly CLA and would like to do this myself if it isn't too hard.
Problem is I cant find any info directly related to this lens.
Should I try this on my own ?
I do have appropriate tools , just don't know where to start on this one.....Any Help is much appreciated.
If you want it done right - if you want another 50 years from the lens - have Eric do a CLA. You should really disassemble the mount and aperture mechanism (remove and clean the blades individually) and as long as you have the lens open, lubnricate the helicoid and adjust the colimation. That particular lens is worth a $50 CLA.
04-02-2018, 05:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If you want it done right - if you want another 50 years from the lens - have Eric do a CLA. You should really disassemble the mount and aperture mechanism (remove and clean the blades individually) and as long as you have the lens open, lubnricate the helicoid and adjust the colimation. That particular lens is worth a $50 CLA.
Last time I checked , Eric was taking a break ? Has he resumed repairs ? Last CLA was $65 from Eric also.
04-02-2018, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
Last time I checked , Eric was taking a break ? Has he resumed repairs ? Last CLA was $65 from Eric also.
AFAIK he is working. He repaired a dropped FA43 for me last month (thankfully not 0000831) and he has 2 Asahiflexes for CLA ATM.

04-02-2018, 09:37 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
AFAIK he is working. He repaired a dropped FA43 for me last month (thankfully not 0000831) and he has 2 Asahiflexes for CLA ATM.
Oooh, that’s the second oldest 43 I know of. Mine is 0000646.
04-03-2018, 12:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes there is hope!

They are really simple to service. But since you appear apprehensive, go find a broken SMC tak to practice with! The aperture mechanism if I remember correctly sits at the back, you only have to remove one combined element group and then you have access to it.

It's usually just a matter of taking the blades out, and cleaning them with grog, take your time, put it back together and BAM!

When you mean barely moving at all, even when the aperture is set to "M"

Cheers,

You can do it.