Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 41 Likes Search this Thread
04-15-2018, 01:21 PM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've used everything from 24mm to 200mm for portraits. Newer lenses can do the backgrounds better because they tend to have nine aperture blades - rounded, too.

04-15-2018, 10:14 PM - 4 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I've used everything from 24mm to 200mm for portraits. Newer lenses can do the backgrounds better because they tend to have nine aperture blades - rounded, too.
Well, as we're talking about "portrait lenses", I guess it makes sense to answer a simple question. Is shooting "people" (street photography, travel photography, candid shots, etc) the same thing as taking "portraits"?
IMO the answer is no.
Taking portraits, either in studio or with available light, usually involves esthetic and technical choices that are very rarely available shooting candid pictures.
For example most of the times we have time, a luxury that is seldom given, shooting street pics.
If we are given such freedom, it's better to make full use of it, choosing the best tools, not the most practical.
If there is enough time to set up the shots, and choose the best lighting, there is also time to take care of accurate manual focusing and use optics that give the most pleasant images.
According to my taste, the best choice is almost always the kind of lenses I mentioned in my previous post: a fast 85mm/105mm-ish with a smooth rendering, preferably shot wide open.
If I succeed focusing on the closest pupil, I don't mind if the ears are slightly out of focus. A nice background rendered as a mellow palette of shapes and colors is more important.
This is why I think that the number/shape of diaphragm blades is a bit overrated. If I shoot wide open, the hole is always round
BTW, some of my favorite lenses for portrait use have 15, 16 or even 18 diaphragm blades. It was quite common before the "auto" generation with return springs.

To each his/her own.
The desired result calls for specific technical choices. If the picture has to evidence the wrinkles on an old man's weathered face... forget about everything I have just written!

04-16-2018, 09:41 PM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
If I shoot wide open, the hole is always round
You have to have the confidence your gear can get your image in all conditions, Paolo, and depth of field will often require stopping down to get the face from the nose to the ears in focus - or for where there's more than one person in the picture. And old fast lenses are very soft wide open - I have a K55 f1.8 and M50 f1.4 as examples. They are just novelty lenses to me, there's just too much spherical aberration going on versus say my DA*55 or Sigma 35mm Art.

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
Well, as we're talking about "portrait lenses", I guess it makes sense to answer a simple question. Is shooting "people" (street photography, travel photography, candid shots, etc) the same thing as taking "portraits"?
IMO the answer is no.
?

None of these are candid shots, Paolo, they are all posed portraits.

24mm:

35mm:

55mm:

77mm:

105mm:

160mm:

180mm:

200mm:

Last edited by clackers; 04-16-2018 at 11:41 PM.
04-17-2018, 02:51 AM   #34
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
looks like some times the best lens for shooting a portrait might be the same as the best camera body to use:

the one that is handy at the time

IMHO, YMMV

I remember being taught ( or having read ) that the best lens for a portrait ( back in the days of film ) was greater than 50ish mm and less than 135ish mm focal lengths

so since I use a K 3 or K 3 II, I would look at a lens that would give roughly the same field of view if I intended to take a portrait.

I am just amazed at the talents revealed by those who have shared their work in this thread

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-17-2018 at 02:58 AM.
04-17-2018, 03:40 AM   #35
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FLkrakr Quote
Which lens do you use for portraiture and why?
I'm happy enough with my “Sweetheart” (Pentax-A* 85mm F1.4) that delivers when I need her too.

Some examples attached, as I think it's easier to see, rather than describe and this is a photo forum.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 04-17-2018 at 03:59 AM.
04-17-2018, 01:20 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

24mm:

35mm:

55mm:

77mm:

105mm:

160mm:

180mm:

200mm:

Forgive me but were all of these on the K-1 or are some on crop - focal length without format is confusing given the new reality (both types under Pentax umbrella).
04-17-2018, 02:10 PM   #37
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

so did we ever determine what is a " portrait "

must it be a photograph of a human??

http://www.dummies.com/photography/digital-photography/shooting/how-to-take-...es-of-animals/

K 3 + HD PENTAX-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR

photographed through the glass window of the enclosure

details in the EXIF

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-17-2018, 04:50 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
What lenses do I use for portraiture?

Nearly all of them

Why? (beware - pic heavy)

DA70 on crop

FA*85 on full frame

Sigma 35 Art on full frame

A50/1.2 wide open

FA150 on 645Z

FA77 on full frame

DA*55 on full frame

DFA*70-200 on full frame

DFA24-70 on full frame

DA*16-50 on crop

DA21 on crop

FA77 on crop

FA43 on crop

01 on Q7

06 on Q7

Sigma 70-200 on crop
No one needs that many prime portrait shooters, that's just greedy!
But in all seriousness that's a nice post there showing the differences throughout.

So not a single submission from a Samyang 135/2? I have to say out of all the portrait lenses I have seen to date, it's the FA 85/1.4 or the Samyang 85/1.4 or probably my favourite the Samyang 135/2 that stand out the most. I'm saving my pennies for a Sammy 135/2
04-17-2018, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Forgive me but were all of these on the K-1 or are some on crop - focal length without format is confusing given the new reality (both types under Pentax umbrella).
Yeah, all on the K-1, Brad.

We can shoot portraits with 24-200mm, and landscapes with 24-200mm!

In fact, this is with the Tamron 70-200 at 130mm:

04-17-2018, 09:25 PM - 1 Like   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, all on the K-1, Brad.

We can shoot portraits with 24-200mm, and landscapes with 24-200mm!

In fact, this is with the Tamron 70-200 at 130mm:
I agree and have the same attitude, just wanted to clarify.