Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2018, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
If you think you have too many lenses, then the real question is: do you have enough cameras?
That's definitely the important question

04-05-2018, 06:28 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
That's definitely the important question
in the sense of the ultimate question: what came first the chicken or the egg

is it a lack of camera/lenses that drive us

or

is it a lack of lenses/cameras that drive us?

I know that it is a lack of $ that hinders us
04-05-2018, 06:59 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Too many lenses? Isn't that an oxymoron? How I wish I had that problem to the degree I would even think about it!!!
04-05-2018, 07:25 AM   #34
Pentaxian

I do too, unfortunately, the men's I'd sell aren't worth much. Do I really want to go through the effort of photographing, posting, negotiating and shipping a lens for $100 bucks.

There's things I can do for $100 bucks that are a lot less effort.

I tried to sell my A-400 a while ago. After a few weeks the decision was." I guess I'll just keep it." My main lenses that I use every day I'd never sell, but I have lots of " it's available at good price , I think i'll try it out " type lenses, that just never made the cut.

With Pentax releasing "modern lenses for modern sensors" I have a number of lenses that were OK on 6 MP sensors, that just aren't what I want anymore.

I'm tempted to just put it all in box and send it off to mightymike. If he sends me a few pennies for the stuff, that would be cool. Maybe he'd trade me for one of those k-mount clocks. I'm not there yet, but it could happen.

My problem is I have real trouble asking for money for a lens I found to be inferior to any use I can come up with for it.

04-05-2018, 07:45 AM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My problem is I have real trouble asking for money for a lens I found to be inferior to any use I can come up with for it.
That's my problem. I have lenses I bought cheap that I now know are inferior to any others I have that work great. and what I could get out of the inferior ones isn't worth the shipping price. I'll keep them.
04-05-2018, 07:48 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Anyway this is a rare lens. I guess I'm not the only one who'd be interested to read a review. Vivitar Series One 55mm f1.2 VMC Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Yes, this is on my "to do" list.
04-05-2018, 07:53 AM   #37
Pentaxian

You don't have too many lenses, you have too few k-1's....
It's a whole new world of lba.

04-05-2018, 07:56 AM   #38
Pentaxian

See you at seven lenses between 40 and 50 mm
04-05-2018, 10:07 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do too, unfortunately, the men's I'd sell aren't worth much. Do I really want to go through the effort of photographing, posting, negotiating and shipping a lens for $100 bucks.

I tried to sell my A-400 a while ago. After a few weeks the decision was." I guess I'll just keep it." My main lenses that I use every day I'd never sell, but I have lots of " it's available at good price , I think i'll try it out " type lenses, that just never made the cut.

With Pentax releasing "modern lenses for modern sensors" I have a number of lenses that were OK on 6 MP sensors, that just aren't what I want anymore.

I'm tempted to just put it all in box and send it off to mightymike. If he sends me a few pennies for the stuff, that would be cool. Maybe he'd trade me for one of those k-mount clocks. I'm not there yet, but it could happen.

I've sold lenses for $15 - and yes the effort to pack and ship etc is a pain. Why did I do it? Because my trash may be their happiness. I get where you are coming from both on effort and on quality. But someone out there may just want to try the focal length cheaply. I like your idea of sending some stuff to Mighty Mike - I may do likewise or at least barter for something cheap.
04-05-2018, 10:07 AM   #40
Pentaxian

This thread has made me question myself. Some people seem to be perfectly fine selling lenses, as much as they are buying them.
I can't even sell my duplicates!
I really want to do that, but for some reason I can't. When I have the chance I can't find the time, or something gets in the way...
I don't know if it's an uncommon behavior or not, I guess that people who own plenty of lenses follow different patterns, and have different tastes and priorities.
It's fascinating

Cheers

Paolo

04-05-2018, 10:18 AM   #41
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

There's things I can do for $100 bucks that are a lot less effort. . . .
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I've sold lenses for $15 - and yes the effort to pack and ship etc is a pain. Why did I do it? Because my trash may be their happiness. I get where you are coming from both on effort and on quality. But someone out there may just want to try the focal length cheaply. I like your idea of sending some stuff to Mighty Mike - I may do likewise or at least barter for something cheap.
a suggestion

I have sent lenses that I weren't using to new members of the forum who were just starting out in photography for the cost of shipping

I am convinced I got good karma as a result

after doing that I found lenses I wanted available for under market value

so if you don't want to go through the hassle of listing and selling lenses

watch for some newbie who might like the lenses you aren't using to help them start off

and send them a pm
04-05-2018, 10:20 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Too many is when you have a complete set of Black SMC DA Limiteds for your K-3ll and you buy* a complete set of silver HD DA Limiteds because they look better on you silver KP.

* No, I didn’t. Mix ‘n Match.
** Then again, I have bought lower-serial FA Limiteds and kept the first one.
04-05-2018, 10:38 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
a suggestion

I have sent lenses that I weren't using to new members of the forum who were just starting out in photography for the cost of shipping

I am convinced I got good karma as a result

after doing that I found lenses I wanted available for under market value

so if you don't want to go through the hassle of listing and selling lenses

watch for some newbie who might like the lenses you aren't using to help them start off

and send them a pm
I've done this as well. However I have had mixed results. I sent a set of cameras and lenses to a person in Canada who had a sob story - never heard from them again. Not here or elsewhere. But you take a chance now and then.
04-05-2018, 11:21 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Not sure if this should be a , or!
04-05-2018, 11:22 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I've done this as well. However I have had mixed results. I sent a set of cameras and lenses to a person in Canada who had a sob story - never heard from them again. Not here or elsewhere. But you take a chance now and then.
I sent a disused but CLA’ed by Eric K2 and K55/1.8 to a member who casually mentioned on a thread having always wanted one. Frankly, I’ve never bonded with the K2 and I have many 55/1.8’s in storage from past camera buys, so this is no great sacrificial gift for me to make.

The effusive and repeated thanks are all the ‘payment’ I need.

And that Auto Tak 85/1.8 surely was providential . . .

.: