Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-06-2018, 11:07 AM   #1
Forum Member

Sigma 24mm f/2.8 AF Super Wide II

So I saw this lens go up for sale in Excellent condition and at a reasonable price and I decided to purchase it. I needed a wide angle prime as it was one of the key types of lens missing from my kit. I was doing a little research prior to buying it and apparently it's rare lens. Is that true? Also, if you currently own it or have used it in the past, what were your experiences like? There are some reviews here but not a great deal and I wanted to hear from people in real time (or as close to that as a forum gets you). I saw several times when researching, "BUY THIS IF YOU SEE IT", so I did. I suppose I'm just looking for additional testimonies so I can feel good about the purchase. I am excited to test it out either way; I am a fan of my Sigma glass. Any experiences, insights or advice you have to share regarding this lens, would be greatly appreciated.

Also it's worth noting that this would be paired up with a K-3 II.

04-06-2018, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I've had a few copies of the MF version of this lens and they've always been superb. The AF version I owned was horrible though. Not very sharp, poor contrast etc. It could have been a problem with the copy I owned since the optics should be the same between AF and MF versions.
04-06-2018, 12:04 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HarisF1 Quote
I've had a few copies of the MF version of this lens and they've always been superb. The AF version I owned was horrible though. Not very sharp, poor contrast etc. It could have been a problem with the copy I owned since the optics should be the same between AF and MF versions.
Thanks for your testimony! My experience with these earlier Sigmas is that their quality control is all over the place. So I wouldn't be surprised if you just happened to get a bad copy. I was ensured by the seller that it was used with several K mount camera and works well. I'm hoping I got a quality copy here. Some of the photos I've seen from this lens are great so I am excited.
04-06-2018, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 24thNomad Quote
I was doing a little research prior to buying it and apparently it's rare lens. Is that true?
No, it is not particularly rare in that eBay usually has a couple listed in K-mount. Both the AF and manual focus versions have a number of reviews and the manual focus version has several very loyal fans on this site. Let us all know how you like it

QuoteOriginally posted by 24thNomad Quote
My experience with these earlier Sigmas is that their quality control is all over the place.
It has only been in recent years that Sigma attained its current reputation. In the past, the brand was regarded as a small step above house brand and in fact, many house brand lenses were identical to Sigma product.

Steve

04-06-2018, 01:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Don't think it is rare, but a good copy of the lens should be quite sharp. They do tend to have some lateral CA, quite correctable. Some have complained about decentering -- check your corners. I think optically they are all the same, but the older ones have a rubberized surface that tends to wear off over time, along with the printing on them. This is common to many older Sigmas. (If it is jet black rather than slightly gray, those wear better.) I have the manual focus version, I use it all the time.
04-06-2018, 02:04 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yeah, the "Zen coating" that was on nearly all of the AF copies (but I don't think 100%, which is odd to me) will usually break down and turn into a gummy mess.

I think Sigma started their upward rise in quality, both build and imaging, in the generation the Super-Wide II AF came out. Sigma EX's were mostly all great from what I can tell, or at least, they weren't noisy/gummy/etc.

I believe the AF version of the Super-Wide II is the best optically due to a coatings update but don't quote me on that, it's repeated Internet lore, grain of salt etc. I have long though Pentax should have offered a lens like the Super-Wide II AF but they didn't. And probably never will.
04-06-2018, 02:09 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Yeah, the "Zen coating" that was on nearly all of the AF copies (but I don't think 100%, which is odd to me) will usually break down and turn into a gummy mess.

I think Sigma started their upward rise in quality, both build and imaging, in the generation the Super-Wide II AF came out. Sigma EX's were mostly all great from what I can tell, or at least, they weren't noisy/gummy/etc.

I believe the AF version of the Super-Wide II is the best optically due to a coatings update but don't quote me on that, it's repeated Internet lore, grain of salt etc. I have long though Pentax should have offered a lens like the Super-Wide II AF but they didn't. And probably never will.
I have had the manual version in both the new and old (gummy) outer coating. The gummy one I asked Sigma about (any way to get a replacement dof ring that I can read?) and they said no but they took it as trade-in to get a substantial discount on a brand new 70mm macro. Then I found another better copy of the super wide II.

04-06-2018, 02:22 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm a fan of that lens.
04-06-2018, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It has only been in recent years that Sigma attained its current reputation. In the past, the brand was regarded as a small step above house brand and in fact, many house brand lenses were identical to Sigma product.

Steve
And for many years they had the nickname "Stigma"...

Last edited by boriscleto; 04-06-2018 at 04:09 PM.
04-07-2018, 03:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello
Mine is far better than FA*24, it is sharper in the córners . Smaller and lighter than the FA*. I sold the FA* and keep the Sigma. Good luck.
04-10-2018, 04:10 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pasorro Quote
Mine is far better than FA*24, it is sharper in the córners . Smaller and lighter than the FA*. I sold the FA* and keep the Sigma.
I'm not surprised at all.
While I find the FA* beautiful and desirable, I'd never spend the small fortune it takes to own one.
If I have to be totally sincere, 24mm was not the most fortunate focal in Pentax catalogue.
I own the A version of the 2.8/24mm, optically identical to the last K version, and I can't say it's among the best. Above decent? Yes. Very good? No.
I'd be very interested in the first K version, with f/3.5 max aperture, but it would cost almost as much as a second-hand Samyang... so I pulled the trigger for the latter, and now I'm eagerly waiting for it. My wife is flying back from the US in this very moment, with a nice boxed Samyang in her suitcase!

Back to the Sigma Super Wide, MF or AF (the optical layout is the same).
The build is not on par with Pentax offerings of the same vintage, but the IQ is great, especially considering the price, and also taking into account how difficult it was at the time to design a 24mm with such IQ.
The test I posted on another thread gives a good idea of the performance.
Maybe some of you missed it, cause the thread was about infinity adjustment.
This is the URL:
Infinity Adjustment - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

The credit goes to whoever posted it on the Web. I saved the pdf in my HD and forgot where it came from. Sorry.
The test was done by a german magazine at the start of 1986. Almost all the 24mm's available at the time were included.
The measurements show how the Sigma beats all the others, second best being the Leica R.

The values are these (in German):
Bewertung der Bildmitte bei ouf 5,6abgeblendetem Objektiv.
Bewertung der Bildmitte bei voli aufgeblendetem Objektiv.
Bewertung des Bildrandes bei ouf 5,6 abgeblendetem Objektiv.
Bewertung des Bildrandes bei voli aufgeblendetem Objektiv.
Gesomtbewerfung des ouf 5,6 abgeblendeten Objektivs.
Gesomtbewertung des voli aufgeblendeten Objektivs.

More or less the translation is:
Evaluation of the center of the picture at f/5.6.
Evaluation of the center of the image wide open.
Evaluation of the image border at f/5,6.
Evaluation of the image border wide open.
Overall rating at f/5.6.
Overall rating wide open.

Many vintage lenses aficionados (like me ) are always looking for the magic. An inexpensive objective that unexpectedly rivals more modern/expensive lenses.
It doesn't happen very often, but the Sigma Super Wide II is a pleasant surprise that shows how price and performance are not always related.

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 04-10-2018 at 04:21 PM.
04-16-2018, 09:38 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I started out with the MF Version on Contax many years ago. Nice little lens. Later I had the AF Version for Nikon - slow, noisy AF, bad feel. I would only get the MF Version these days.
04-16-2018, 10:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wanted to travel light last week, so packed my Sigma mini-wide 24mm f2.8 AF - a small, but not attractive lens. My MF version has been nicked by my son.
Not a bad lens, but suffers a bit from flare.