Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2018, 06:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Voigtlander Ultron SL II 2/40mm. Best PK pancake?

I have already four PK pancakes, two Cosina's (40mm and 45mm), the old 40mm series M, and the FA Limited.
All are fine, and of comparable performance, but I don't find any of them really outstanding.
The photographer who took the pictures of my american wedding (in Yosemite Park, kind of new age, my wife's idea ), shot most of the pics with a Nikon 810 (similar to my K-1) and the Voigtlander/Cosina 40mm. I was impressed by the very good quality. I might be wrong, but it seems to be at a higher level.
I realize I miss a tiny FF "normal" of very high IQ.
I care very little about AF (and when I do I use a prosumer zoom), but I like to have the "A" function (electric contacts).
Anybody out there had the chance to compare the Ultron SL II with some of the Tessar-based pancakes?

Btw, the price of the PK version seems to be rather silly.
It's easy to find a nice example with Canon or Nikon mount for well under $300. The PK version is always more expensive.
I almost purchased one from a fellow forum member, for $300, but the shipment from Canada was quite expensive, so in the end I gave it a pass.
I am reconsidering... but first I'd like to get some first-hand impressions.

Thanks in advance

Paolo

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 04-06-2018 at 07:49 PM.
04-06-2018, 10:02 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An option - particularly for small primes. If you can't find it in PK reasonably - get a pre-ai Nikon version. Set the camera in Av mode and use manual aperture. You'll need this mount:
Nikon - Adaptist

Or Leica & Pentax & Nikon | Leitax may work if the lens is supported. I see what seems like it might be a link but the link isn't working on that page.
Nikon and Zeiss ZF lenses for Pentax cameras
04-07-2018, 02:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

You are forgetting industar - the pancakekiest of all pancakes I must admit that I have my grandfather's industar, but I've never used it.
04-07-2018, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
An option - particularly for small primes. If you can't find it in PK reasonably - get a pre-ai Nikon version. Set the camera in Av mode and use manual aperture. You'll need this mount:
Nikon - Adaptist
Well, that would be a stretch...
I don't even know if the Adaptist works well with the K-1, and even if it did, I would never mess with my only FF camera (which happens to also be my favorite), and give up WR.
I considered fitting the Adaptist to my old K10D, that is already fitted with a cheap chinese focusing screen (that works more than fine with super fast primes).
Now I'm not sure it makes sense anymore, cause I like to use film lenses with their original field of view. I have five Pentax DSLR cameras, plus a K200D I gave to my wife, and I find myself using almost exclusively the K-1 (and at times the K-01).
IMO a 40mm would make little sense on APS-C, cause i see little use for a 60mm field of view.
Btw, the Ultron plus the Adaptist would cost as much as the not-so-common PKA version...

I am afraid Leitax is not a solution too. Never heard of adapted Voigtlander/Cosina lenses.
I use with full satisfaction a dirty cheap Leitax knock-off with my Summicron M 2/90mm and Elmarit M 2.8/135mm. Actually the former is my favorite portrait lens if sharpness is an issue.

04-07-2018, 09:36 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
Well, that would be a stretch...
I don't even know if the Adaptist works well with the K-1, and even if it did, I would never mess with my only FF camera (which happens to also be my favorite), and give up WR.
I considered fitting the Adaptist to my old K10D, that is already fitted with a cheap chinese focusing screen (that works more than fine with super fast primes).
Now I'm not sure it makes sense anymore, cause I like to use film lenses with their original field of view. I have five Pentax DSLR cameras, plus a K200D I gave to my wife, and I find myself using almost exclusively the K-1 (and at times the K-01).
IMO a 40mm would make little sense on APS-C, cause i see little use for a 60mm field of view.
Btw, the Ultron plus the Adaptist would cost as much as the not-so-common PKA version...
It appears the Adaptist isn't an option anyway, they sold out March 1st...
04-07-2018, 03:04 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At least two people mentioned putting them on k-1's. I'm sure they work but understand reluctance.
04-09-2018, 12:17 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you've been to the British seaside you'll know about "rock" - it's a hard, sugary candy sold in a long cylindrical shape and when you snap it open it has the name of the town going the whole length of the rock ("Blackpool" being one of the more famous examples)....

...well, if you snapped me in half you'd see "Pentax" etched into my bones - but of the few times I've ventured into other manufacturers I have to admit that the Voigtlander lenses I've tried (the 40/2.0 and 58/1.4) are at least a match for the Pentax equivalents and in the case of the 40mm the Voigtlander has the advantage of being full frame (the older M 40/2.8 does not match the IQ of the Ultron IMO).

This is a mini-Flickr album of shots when I first got mine (on the K1) - they are not show-stoppers but I think they demonstrate its qualities:
Voigtlander 40mm f2 Ultron | Flickr

..And probably my favourite (with the close-up attachment) for those who don't want to venture to the album:

Hope that helps the OP

04-09-2018, 01:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LennyBloke Quote
Hope that helps the OP
It does
Sharp and creamy. Beautiful flower picture!

Cheers

Paolo