Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2018, 07:27 PM   #1
Forum Member

Help with FA* 28-70 Zoom Lens

Bismillah

I was wondering if anyone can help me figure out how to use the power zoom. I am using a KP and K1 and have assured that the lens barrel switch is pushed forward and shows "power zoom" and the selector switch is in "PZ" I can't get the lens to zoom at all. Is there something else I am missing...I really want to keep this lens. Thanks.

04-06-2018, 07:38 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by halimj7 Quote
Bismillah

I was wondering if anyone can help me figure out how to use the power zoom. I am using a KP and K1 and have assured that the lens barrel switch is pushed forward and shows "power zoom" and the selector switch is in "PZ" I can't get the lens to zoom at all. Is there something else I am missing...I really want to keep this lens. Thanks.
To activate power zoom, just turn the zoom ring in one direction or the other. The switch on the side of the lens does nothing on digital.

If nothing happens, the PZ motor in your lens is likely busted. Just zoom manually outside of PZ mode (or if you paid a lot for the lens, return it).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-07-2018, 02:56 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
To activate power zoom, just turn the zoom ring in one direction or the other. The switch on the side of the lens does nothing on digital.

If nothing happens, the PZ motor in your lens is likely busted. Just zoom manually outside of PZ mode (or if you paid a lot for the lens, return it).
Bismillah

I have just learned the PZ works on the K1 but not my KP. Why would this be? Thanks a lot.
04-07-2018, 03:04 AM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by halimj7 Quote
Bismillah

I have just learned the PZ works on the K1 but not my KP. Why would this be? Thanks a lot.
That is correct. Power zoom is supported only on the top models (K-1, K-3, etc.), not on the medium or entry level bodies (KP, K-70, ...).

You've by now noticed of course that the zoom ring can be pushed back and forth and that's how power zoom is turned on and off?

04-07-2018, 06:18 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 28-70 FA* is a very nice lens and the power zoom works on most bodies (I have K-1, K-3, K-7, K-10). That compatability may have been lost for the Kp. That's a shame but I never used the lens on crop bodies. It is a winner on the K-1 though.
04-07-2018, 06:35 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Syntax Quote
The 28-70 FA* is a very nice lens and the power zoom works on most bodies (I have K-1, K-3, K-7, K-10). That compatability may have been lost for the Kp. That's a shame but I never used the lens on crop bodies. It is a winner on the K-1 though.
Bismillah

I am enjoying it so far. Thanks.
04-13-2018, 06:24 PM   #7

I owned a FA * 28-70 when using K50, and now K1.
A great lens.