Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2007, 12:05 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Old K mount lens would not fit!

I bought a used Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f3.5 p/k mount zoom for real cheap and tonight decided to try it out on my K10D.
Would not fit! So I got to looking at it and the rear had this piece with a large ridge, presumably to guard the diaphragm actuator from accidental damage. It extended nearly halfway round the circumference of the rear element - far more than needed given the little lever's range of movement, and too much to fit inside the camera.
So I removed it.
Works fine now.
I'm considering modifying the piece I took out so it fits and putting it back in the lens, but it doesn't appear to be really necessary as long as I'm careful in handling and storing the lens. Coments?
I'll post some snaps for clarity.
The first 3 show the lens as I got it, the piece I took out, and what it looked like after the mod. I took those with the kit lens (18-55 zoom). The last one is the rear of the kit lens taken with the Vivitar in macro mode, taken for comparison and to show I got the Vivitar attached and working.
--
dbh

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by dbh; 12-05-2007 at 11:20 AM.
02-23-2007, 10:54 AM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbh Quote
I bought a used Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f3.5 p/k mount zoom for real cheap and tonight decided to try it out on my K10D.
Would not fit! So I got to looking at it and the rear had this piece with a large ridge, presumably to guard the diaphragm actuator from accidental damage. It extended nearly halfway round the circumference of the rear element - far more than needed given the little lever's range of movement, and too much to fit inside the camera.
So I removed it.
Works fine now.
I'm considering modifying the piece I took out so it fits and putting it back in the lens, but it doesn't appear to be really necessary as long as I'm careful in handling and storing the lens. Coments?
dbh
I bought a Series 1 lens similar to yours and just cut down the flange width to match a standard Pentax k-mount lens flange using a dremel tool and small file. I removed the piece before I worked on it to prevent chips from falling into the lens. I painted the raw edge with some flat black model paint from a hobby shop and it looks (almost) like a factory job.
02-23-2007, 11:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Omg where does eveyone keep finding these Vivitar 70-210/3.5s!!!!!

Nice mod haha.
02-23-2007, 12:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote

Nice mod haha.
A surprising number of them show up on Ebay. Here is a nice writeup on the history of that particular lens: Vivitar Series One 70-210 Macro Zooms - Mark Roberts Photography

02-23-2007, 02:20 PM   #5
dbh
Inactive Account

Original Poster

Nice mod haha.
I ended up removing some material so it would no longer interfere with the camera innards and reinstalled the piece I removed.

Got the lens at a local camera shop that must have had it a while. This thing is very very heavy. It is something to which you attach the camera.

The optics are pristine, but the only things supplied with the lens were a rear mount cap and a 67mm 1A Soligor filter. Picked up a generic front cap.

Aside from needing the mod, and a wee bit of looseness around the aperture ring, I'm very pleased with it - a good buy at C$60.00.

In doing a little googling I found I have the very first of 5 incarnations, the heaviest.
EBay is probably a good source, never used it myself. I like to fondle the goods first, then take the high starting price and work it down. Kind of the exact opposite of EBay buying.
--
dbh
02-23-2007, 03:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Aside from needing the mod, and a wee bit of looseness around the aperture ring, I'm very pleased with it - a good buy at C$60.00.
--
dbh
$60 for a VS1 70-210/3.5? Nice find. Is that the average going rate of these lenses? (LBA itch is growing again - grrr.)
02-23-2007, 04:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Depends where you go. Not much in and around the Toronto area. Maybe Henrys or some pawnshops. Never been in those stores before.
02-23-2007, 04:45 PM   #8
dbh
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Depends where you go. Not much in and around the Toronto area. Maybe Henrys or some pawnshops. Never been in those stores before.
I've been phoning around ever since I bought this Pentax about a month ago or so and apparently "just missed" a whole lot of cool old stuff. Many many local shops, pawn, photo, LondonDrugs, etc all recently purged their inventories. In many cases they just tossed it all.

Here's a downsized shot I took with the Vivitar 10 mins ago outside in the yard. Good test of metering a wide dynamic range (I failed). The zoom was all the way to 70mm and aperature about f11.
--
dbh

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
02-25-2007, 07:32 AM   #9

I picked up a m42 mount series 1 for cheap on ebay, plus lots of other goodies with it .. . eBay: Vintage Camera With accessories to many to list (item 250078556256 end time Feb-03-07 16:28:06 PST) All this stuff was in like new condition.. I really like feel & performance of that old vivitar .. wildherre
02-25-2007, 12:50 PM   #10
dbh
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildherre Quote
I picked up a m42 mount series 1 for cheap on ebay, plus lots of other goodies with it .. . eBay: Vintage Camera With accessories to many to list (item 250078556256 end time Feb-03-07 16:28:06 PST) All this stuff was in like new condition.. I really like feel & performance of that old vivitar .. wildherre
Another good find - I hope you have a lot of fun with it. I'm curious: do you feel any play or looseness between the lens and the camera when it's firmly attached? Mine moves perceptably and the slop appears to be between the barrel and the mount. The mount-to-camera conection is tight.

When I had that little piece out for modification, I had a boo into the back side of the lens and could not see anywhere obvious to tighten. I'll probably just live with it. Just like the weight. After 1/2 hr of carrying this lug around, my neck actually starts feeling sore

--
dbh
02-25-2007, 01:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildherre Quote
Omg another Kiron Vivitar!!! Nice catch! Only $32! and you got a cult zoom and a SMC Tak! Hope you get some good pics!
03-01-2007, 04:26 PM   #12
dbh
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Just a follow-up to the looseness issue - it is now resolved. I dismantled the lens from the mount forward and found the troublespot. Easily fixed by tightening a few screws where the prime group is attached to the front portion of the lens.
It's now back together, tight as a drum and I'm happy as a clam. Plus I learned a bit about how it's put together and have gained an appreciation of its quality.
BTW it was made by Kiron in June, 1978.

--
dbh - have yet to take the k10d apart...
03-01-2007, 04:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Just a follow-up to the looseness issue - it is now resolved. I dismantled the lens from the mount forward and found the troublespot. Easily fixed by tightening a few screws where the prime group is attached to the front portion of the lens.
It's now back together, tight as a drum and I'm happy as a clam. Plus I learned a bit about how it's put together and have gained an appreciation of its quality.
BTW it was made by Kiron in June, 1978.

--
dbh - have yet to take the k10d apart...
Nice find!! Do you have any pics that you may have taken during the dismantle?
03-01-2007, 05:24 PM   #14
roy
Inactive Account

i've got 3 in that range if you are interested . some of the image links i need to redo but they do show them.
Lenses I have available

roy
03-02-2007, 07:37 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Nice mod haha.
I have one that has fallen out of use since I bought my sigma 70-200 F2.8, Does anyone want one?

It is a good lens, relitively fast, constant apature over entire focal length, and quick and easy to focus manually (I just got lazy). Note it is also a true zoom as the focus remains constant as you zoom.

The only draw backs are, with the one touch zoom the weight of the zoom/focusing collar causes it to shift focal length when pointing down on a tripod, and the lack of a tripod mount.