Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2018, 07:46 AM   #16
Veteran Member
disconnekt's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 624
If you don't mind doing some bidding, there's a bundle of 3 Takumar's (all M42 mount: Super Takumar 28mm f3.5, Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 135mm f3.5, Super-Takumar 200mm f4, all with cases) on shopgoodwill right now and the onoy bid is for like $5 bucks, so you can get some for cheap if you bid on 'em here: https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/51257008

04-09-2018, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 112
I vote for the Pentax-M 75-150mm.
04-09-2018, 11:44 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 666
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I gather you are looking for a modest FL telephoto, something of roughly 70~150mm focal length. Don't overlook macro lenses in this range. There are many, many of them out there and almost all of them have excellent IQ for general photography. At the long end, Pentax made a decent 150mm f4 that is not common, but has a decent reputation.
+1 on the SMC Takumar 150/4. I have it. It is very, very light for its FL. The factory hood also reverses and stores back over the barrel for a very small package. Every time I go to thin the herd of lenses it goes back in my cabinet.

Added vvvvvvvvvvv
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/S-M-C-Super-Takumar-150mm-F4.html

Last edited by lmd91343; 04-09-2018 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Added link
04-09-2018, 05:23 PM   #19
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 6
Original Poster
Thanks everyone, this has given me quite a useful launching point!

As WPRESTO said, 70-150mm is what i'm looking for. Probably closer to that 100mm-ish ballpark

As suggested macro certainly makes sense, though they do seem to jump up quite significantly in weight.. any alternative suggestions here? Obviously extension tubes are a thing, but I didn't enjoy using them the one time I have tried them out, and its a lot of faff during hiking, so if I want to do macro stuff I'll probably need a dedicated lens for it.

04-09-2018, 06:51 PM   #20
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 6
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
If you don't mind doing some bidding, there's a bundle of 3 Takumar's (all M42 mount: Super Takumar 28mm f3.5, Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 135mm f3.5, Super-Takumar 200mm f4, all with cases) on shopgoodwill right now and the onoy bid is for like $5 bucks, so you can get some for cheap if you bid on 'em here: 3 Takumar Lenses - 1:3.5/28, 1:3.5/135, 1:4/200 - shopgoodwill.com
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately in NZ, so shopgoodwill isn't really an option for me
04-09-2018, 07:07 PM   #21
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,584
QuoteOriginally posted by oreocereus Quote
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately in NZ, so shopgoodwill isn't really an option for me
Welcome to the forum. You'll have to keep an eye on Trademe.

Kind regards,
Mark
(Wairarapa)
04-09-2018, 08:39 PM   #22
Veteran Member
disconnekt's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 624
QuoteOriginally posted by oreocereus Quote
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately in NZ, so shopgoodwill isn't really an option for me
Aww, thats a bummer :/ good luck with your search though
04-10-2018, 01:54 PM   #23
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 6
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Welcome to the forum. You'll have to keep an eye on Trademe.

Kind regards,
Mark
(Wairarapa)
Thanks guys.

Yeah Mark, been keeping an eye on TradeMe. Its a shame our population isn't big enough to have a large second hand market

As luck would have it this question might have become redundant for now.. a relative happened to ask me if I wanted her old Nikon F80 last night. While there were a handful of reasons I wasn't going to go with Nikon, getting a setup to kick myself off is probably too good to ignore. It's annoying I can't use any of my m42 lenses with it, some of which I adore, so if I keep doing this I'll probably be looking at a more serious investment down the line.

04-10-2018, 04:11 PM   #24
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
GUB's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Wanganui
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,745
QuoteOriginally posted by oreocereus Quote
Thanks guys.

Yeah Mark, been keeping an eye on TradeMe. Its a shame our population isn't big enough to have a large second hand market

As luck would have it this question might have become redundant for now.. a relative happened to ask me if I wanted her old Nikon F80 last night. While there were a handful of reasons I wasn't going to go with Nikon, getting a setup to kick myself off is probably too good to ignore. It's annoying I can't use any of my m42 lenses with it, some of which I adore, so if I keep doing this I'll probably be looking at a more serious investment down the line.
Welcome. If I had realised you were another Kiwi I would have used the term "Tramping" which is somewhat misunderstood elsewhere! Whereabouts are you based?
04-10-2018, 04:21 PM   #25
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,584
Enjoy the F80. Nice camera.
04-10-2018, 05:53 PM - 1 Like   #26
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 6
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Welcome. If I had realised you were another Kiwi I would have used the term "Tramping" which is somewhat misunderstood elsewhere! Whereabouts are you based?
Yeah, I've coached myself out of saying "tramping" when using any sort of online community
I'm between Wellington and Nelson at the moment - moving over to France in a few months though.
04-11-2018, 10:51 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,515
You can use M42 lenses for close up shots and macro - so don't despair entirely of using them on the Nikon. Just be sure to use the glassless version of the adapter - the ones with glass are just bad teleconverters.
04-11-2018, 03:56 PM   #28
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 6
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
You can use M42 lenses for close up shots and macro - so don't despair entirely of using them on the Nikon. Just be sure to use the glassless version of the adapter - the ones with glass are just bad teleconverters.
Good point. How would one work out the change of focusing distance?
04-11-2018, 04:23 PM   #29
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2015
Location: New Orleans
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 710
It would be like using a 1mm extension tube.
04-12-2018, 08:23 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,515
QuoteOriginally posted by oreocereus Quote
Good point. How would one work out the change of focusing distance?
I don't know exact numbers but I have a friend who tried a 50mm macro and found he was limited to 3' or less. The thickness of the m42-to-F adapter is > than the 1mm mount difference.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
200mm, 300mm, database, k-mount, legacy, legacy lenses m42, lens, lenses, m42, nikon, pentax, pentax lens, people, price, primes, reviews, screwmount, size, slr lens, telephoto, telephoto legacy lenses
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TOP 10 compact DSLR. So what according to you are the TOP 10 compact APS-C and FF? SunnyG. Pentax DSLR Discussion 16 06-26-2017 12:02 PM
Pentax K-1 and m42 legacy lenses awscreo Welcomes and Introductions 5 05-22-2016 12:12 AM
Canon releases the world's most compact and lightweight APS-C DSLR TOUGEFC Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 53 03-25-2013 04:43 PM
PENTAX Introduces smc DA 50mm f/1.8 Medium-Telephoto Lens Compact, lightweight autofo Adam Homepage & Official Pentax News 26 05-28-2012 04:09 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:20 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top