Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
04-10-2018, 10:46 AM   #1
Forum Member

can't decide...zeiss milvus 18mm f2,8 vs Irix 15mm f2,4 vs samyang 20mm f1,8

I'm upgrading from a K-3 to a K-1 II, so unfortunately my most used lens- a Sigma Art 18mm-35mm f1.8- no longer will match the sensor (at least not at 18mm), and I'm bit caught between those three options right now...
mostly I'm shooting landscapes, panoramas and during season a lot of auroras- for examples you can check my Instagram or flickr :

Sealight Arts (@sealightarts) ? Instagram photos and videos
Jens Baier | Flickr

18mm on aps-c already became a bit too narrow for my liking- at least for shooting aurora, but given the field of view on ff is wider the zeiss made it on my list as well. Anyone having experiences with either of those lenses, or can even compare those first hand?

I usually also like high-quality Zoom- lenses as well- the Pentax 15-30mm f2,8 doesn't make it on my list for the lack of a filterthread (I'm using Lee- Filters at times...)...

The biggest Con against the Zeiss-Lens of course might be the price-tag, also considering you have to 'leitax' the lens, but apart from that ...

pro Zeiss: well, it's a Zeiss... (that's the biggest pro, might outweigh quite a lot )
filter thread quite common
built quality

pro samyang: aperture (when shooting Aurora with my Sigma i mostly use f2.2- 2.5)
filter thread
con: not as wide as the others, fov on ff still wider than 18mm on aps-c

pro Irix: wider field of view
con: tricky size of filterthread, 95mm might be difficult to use with my filters (though there seems to be a filterholder for 100mm)

any comments or thoughts are highly welcome

04-10-2018, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are considering the Milvus which costs $2,000 + the cost of converting to K mount, is there a reason why you are not considering the Pentax DFA 15-30mm f/2.8?
04-10-2018, 12:26 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
If you are considering the Milvus which costs $2,000 + the cost of converting to K mount, is there a reason why you are not considering the Pentax DFA 15-30mm f/2.8?
Christian- mainly because of the missing filter thread...I still want to use my set of filters at times, so a lens missing that detail unfortunately goes of my list...
04-10-2018, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I highly recommend the irix. I own the Blackstone version. With a protection filter screwed in, you can use the Lee push-on filter holder.
I have even used it under the rain without worrying about anything getting damaged. But of course without Lee filters and the hood on. The hood does a great job at keeping the lens clean (since it's an ultra wide, the drops will be blurry, but very visible and intrusive).
It's got great sunstars and I absolutely love using it with my MZ-S on film. I was worried at first about reviews showing awful internal reflections, but I haven't experienced it even without a hood, nor while shooting directly at the sun. I guess they did a very good job at trying to make them. I actually like having some, but zooms with many more elements are better at it and look more cinematic.
It's a no brainer for the price.
If irix ever releases an 20mm 1.8 or faster, I will be first in line for one, since I have already considered buying the Sammy. It's the focal length I'm missing at the moment on FF. 20mm is great for a lot of situations.
I would say for the price of the Zeiss, get them both with filters and the Lee push-on holder.

Gesendet von meinem Mi A1 mit Tapatalk

04-10-2018, 12:55 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

If Panoramas are your thing, I briefly owned the Pentax 28mm f/3.5 shift lens last year. At that time I also owned the Zeiss 18mm lens (classic version - not the Milvus).

For panos I actually preferred the Pentax over the Zeiss. The shift feature on the Pentax makes Panos a snap. Also, there's less distortion with the Pentax lens than with any of the other wide lenses you are considering. Did I forget to mention that the Pentax lens is about $600 cheaper than the Zeiss?

Below is a pano I took with the Pentax shift lens. Great colors on the K1, but I'd classify the sharpness as just "average" (although if you used Pixel Shift the sharpness would definitely increase).

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 04-10-2018 at 01:02 PM.
04-10-2018, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sealight Quote
The biggest Con against the Zeiss-Lens of course might be the price-tag, also considering you have to 'leitax' the lens, but apart from that ...
Assuming that Leitax is available. For my money for sub-20mm FF primes, the IRIX would be my first choice.

Steve
04-11-2018, 03:41 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

You can get filters for the Pentax 15-30. I just picked up this WonderPana system from Fotodiox for mine (last night). And Lee Filters also makes an ultra wide filter system that works. You have to buy for the adapter Tamron 15-30 for both systems. I can tell you the WonderPana fits perfectly on my 15-30. There is also a rectangular filter adapter and rectangular filters for the WonderPana system

below is copied from the Lee filters web site"

"Pentax FA 15-30mm f2.8 ED SDM WR
This lens doesn't have its own Adaptor, however the Tamron 15-30mmm Adaptor fits perfectly."

04-11-2018, 07:23 AM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
can't decide...zeiss milvus 18mm f2,8 vs Irix 15mm f2,4 vs samyang 20mm f1,8

I have the 100mm filter system from Lee with too many filters to invest in a new system, will the Irix 15mm be able to use the 100 mm system or maybe the filters but with an other holder ?
04-11-2018, 08:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gryphongryph Quote
I have the 100mm filter system from Lee with too many filters to invest in a new system, will the Irix 15mm be able to use the 100 mm system or maybe the filters but with an other holder ?
Yes. With the push-on filter holder from Lee. It will need a filter to grab from, since the bayonet mount for the lens hood doesn't have enough surface for the holder to grab on.

Gesendet von meinem Mi A1 mit Tapatalk
04-11-2018, 11:57 AM   #10
Forum Member

Ok, thanks, just found it on the Lee site.
04-13-2018, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm upgrading from a K-3 to a K-1 II, so unfortunately my most used lens- a Sigma Art 18mm-35mm f1.8- no longer will match the sensor (at least not at 18mm), and I'm bit caught between those three options right now...
mostly I'm shooting landscapes, panoramas and during season a lot of auroras- for examples you can check my Instagram or flickr :

Sealight Arts (@sealightarts) ? Instagram photos and videos
Jens Baier | Flickr

18mm on aps-c already became a bit too narrow for my liking- at least for shooting aurora, but given the field of view on ff is wider the zeiss made it on my list as well. Anyone having experiences with either of those lenses, or can even compare those first hand?

I usually also like high-quality Zoom- lenses as well- the Pentax 15-30mm f2,8 doesn't make it on my list for the lack of a filterthread (I'm using Lee- Filters at times...)...

pro Zeiss: well, it's a Zeiss... (that's the biggest pro, might outweigh quite a lot )
filter thread quite common
built quality

pro samyang: aperture (when shooting Aurora with my Sigma i mostly use f2.2- 2.5)
filter thread
con: not as wide as the others, fov on ff still wider than 18mm on aps-c

pro Irix: wider field of view
con: tricky size of filterthread, 95mm might be difficult to use with my filters (though there seems to be a filterholder for 100mm)

any comments or thoughts are highly welcome
Irix makes a beautiful 15mm Blackstone lens. Filters are beautiful and easy to buy. Very nice image quality. I really do think you would like it.
Terry
04-15-2018, 01:32 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
thank you all for your input didn't know about that lee push-on-filter, must have slipped my eyes when doing research...guess that adds another pro to the irix
04-16-2018, 09:14 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I also tried the Pentax 15-30 on K1. While results are really great, the lens feels big and you can only fit large 150mm filter using a huge adaptor. Not something to carry in your bag for occasional use. The Irix looks like a sensible solution, but reports on internal reflections also held me back so far. With 15 mm the Irix is rather wide. The forthcoming DA* 11-18 is for APS-C but at least covers the grounds of a wide angle zoom to fit 100 mm filters. I would assume that you can cut out the edges in fullframe mode to get some panoramic FF Images from this APS-C lens.
A 20mm prime or zoom with FF coverage for 100mm filters is what is missing here.

Zeiss lens makes sense only if used with original Mount. Conversion is quite a hassel, especially on a new lens.

What has not been discussed in more detail, is the fact that you are replacing a 18-35 mm APS-C lens. The D-FA 24-70 is already wider on FF.

Last edited by zapp; 04-16-2018 at 09:33 AM.
04-16-2018, 10:38 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do not overlook the Venus/Laowa 12mm. It's heavy but somewhat more compact than the 15mm Irix.
04-16-2018, 11:13 AM   #15
Pentaxian

you have to 'leitax' the lens
That's quite an operation for such an expensive lens.

Irix does make a filter system, plus you can slot 30x30mm filters behind the lens' there's a place designed just for that.

the Pentax 15-30mm f2,8 doesn't make it on my list for the lack of a filterthread (I'm using Lee- Filters at times...)...
You can use aftermarket solutions.

My advice based on your wishes and requirements would be to get the 15-30 and a third-party filter system. I believe that lens will serve you better than the Zeiss, as nice as that lens must be.

The Irix is a very good solution, I really liked testing it, it's dependable but not quite as high-quality. It's often decentered (but repaired by the manufacturer under warranty) and suffers from pretty strong field curvature. It's not AS sharp as the Pentax 15-30 but for the money you're getting a lot.